Ketogenic "Keto" diet in Taiwan

But the researchers recognize that their findings are purely observational at this stage and cannot prove a cause and effect of eating too little or too many carbohydrates. They also highlight that low-carb diets in the West often result in people eating more animal fats and meat, rather than more vegetables, fruit, and grains.

As said, healthy keto would have most carbs from nutrients rich veggies, not from empty sugar laden rice or bread. That is the key.

Honestly, I could put a few pictures from any typical meals where he actual ratio of carbs is way over 60% 'that they claim is the Asian bit. Latinos must be consuming 80% to 90%.

And most importantly, the research is off.

That article and the study are irresponsible. I could see how that would turn some away. People are dying from high carb diets (sugar), for Pete’s sake.

All ingredients bought at Carrefour. Our California avocados weren’t ripe, but these local ones were okay. Finished it off with one piece of KFC chicken. And getting ready to wash everything down with some Kavalan. Who said dieting was tough?

P_20180825_180653_vHDR_Auto

P_20180825_180658_vHDR_Auto

P_20180825_181224_vHDR_Auto

P_20180825_181243_vHDR_Auto

P_20180825_180707_vHDR_Auto

P_20180825_182823_vHDR_Auto

4 Likes

Screenshot_20180826-104306_Google%20News

Wait for it. There’ll be a flood of articles and comments accusing her of fat-shaming and/or letting women down for promoting an unrealistic body image.

After nearly two weeks of vacation, I weigh…the same 84 kilos! I’m so blown away by this. I came back a week ago before the last week of vacation and I was back at 85 kilos. So I thought for sure I would be even heavier after another week of vacation. I guess I was extra careful the last few days but I also had a night of heavy beer drinking, had a big wonton dumplings lunch, had a big piece of cake, etc. that last week too! Can’t figure this one out.

1 Like

The same thing happened to me. I think I was just consciously and subconsciously eating more healthy and less sugar.

1 Like

Interesting. I bit too much information for me, but maybe one day I’ll appreciate the additional info.

I like Dr Berg videos. The picture is not him.

https://youtu.be/DJCgAqV5j5g

It looks like I lost a little over a kilo after five weeks in Canada, with tons more beer, a significantly less healthy diet, no “real” exercise (the swimming, weight-lifting, and cycling I normally do), but lots of walking. My guess is that I put on some fat, but lost more than that in muscle mass - somewhat borne out by my wife’s incredulity when I said that I’d lost weight.

1 Like

Hard to imagine that whipped cream is keto friendly. Picked this up at Jason’s.

20180918_121944

Screenshot_20180918-122205_Carb%20Manager

1 Like

Try the kind in those box packages (in liquid form) in your coffee. Awesome!

1 Like

Just make sure it is NOT vegetable oil. It has to be the real deal, like cream thinghie. Oh and no sugar. Not even those fake sweeteners.

You should see the pictures of people in keto groups when they discover this amazing fact.

I’ve been paleo for almost a year and keto for the past six months. If you’re in Tianmu, Doors Coffee (just up from Jason’s supermarket on Tianyu Street) has a pretty decent keto menu. Other than that, I end up eating a lot of hot pot and Korean BBQ so as to stick with meat and veggies - just avoid the sauces. Also, many western restaurants have decent salad options, but I often bring a small bottle of good olive oil so I can avoid the industrial seed oil they usually use in their dressings. Any other ideas greatly appreciated!

1 Like

Yeah, he speaks a lot of good old common sense. Thanks to @Icon for introducing these videos - I’d never heard of him before.

I particularly like “things that work are true; things that don’t work aren’t true”. I find it quite incredible that dietary bullshit is completely immune to this sort of logical assault. A similar comment from Richard Feynman (“It doesn’t matter how beautiful your theory is, it doesn’t matter how smart you are - if it doesn’t agree with experiment, it’s wrong”) sums up the essence of the scientific method. It’s depressing that these ideas are unfashionable these days.

Berg is right that carbs represent big, big money. In fact I think he massively underestimates the scale of it. A significant percentage of the global economy revolves around grains, sugar beet, and sugarcane. Not just the mundane act growing it, but the manufacture of harvesting equipment, storage services, fertilizers and biotech, crop insurance and finance, food additives and preservatives (to make sugar- and grain-based foods addictive and long-lasting). Some of the world’s biggest multinationals depend on grains and sugar for their existence. If everyone started eating low-carb, the likes of Cargill, Coca-Cola and Nestle would be out of business.

Putting my SJW hat on, I’d also say that grains and sugar are responsible for a lot of social injustice, poverty, and political nastiness. They’re inherently unprofitable crops, which means they’re grown mostly in crap parts of the world, by people who are easily pushed around by men with guns. In the US and Europe, they’re grown with big subsidies - a.k.a. welfare for the rich.

That one looks suspiciously like it’s made from margarine and sugar. I prefer the ones in little boxes.

TBH, aside from his clear elocution, easy to understand explanations and gentle manner, what has me glued to the screen is the fact that once -and only once- I caught a glimpse of this Brillo pad of chest hair struggling to be free under his tight collar…

…Sigh… might happen again, or he may wear a V neck… Sigh…

TMI. You should really get that fur obsession looked at professionally, you know :wink:

1 Like

Accidentally found a keto friendly dish at Gordon Biersch. It’s one of the smaller dishes chicken spicy taco.

2 Likes

Following.

I’m gaining too much weight these days and my wife suggested this.