Ketogenic "Keto" diet in Taiwan

I started this week with it. I’m having a really hard time getting my fat ratio above 65%, but have been under 20g of carbohydrates. Too much protein right now. Still working on menus that work for my pallet that can hit the appropriate ratios.

Scale says I’m down 1.5kg so far so good. I am keeping my caloric intake pretty low and tracking nutrition closely, so I don’t know how much is the keto part or just calorie reduction. However, I’m not overly hungry. Apart from that my digestion seems very much improved.

2 Likes

I’ve never seen cholesterol levels so high before!

you eat HOW many eggs a day?

you say this ketogenic “deit” is healthy?

Don’t eat carbs it makes you fat. Eat fat it makes you carbs. People are too fat from eating fruit, rice and potatoes. People need to eat more bacon, burgers (without the bun) and eggs. The fat from animals is clearly more healthy than having a banana. Why do you think pizza is associated with fat people? The grease? The cheese? The meat? LOL it’s the wheat! Our ancestors have been living on grains for 10s of thousands of years and very little meat/fat (unless very wealthy). Kings who could afford the finest most expensive meats and cheeses were known to be lean and muscular unlike the peasants who ate bread, grains and oats and were literal land whales. Carbohydrates are literal poison and the glycogen and glucose that power your brain and muscles come from lard. The arterial plaques? Starch granules.

Barista Coffee shops have bulletproof coffee and avocado. Available separately.

20181029_175012

1 Like

Those have 23g of carbs… probably due to the sauce. Most sauces are full of sugar.

Hope you like mayo and butter. Cook everything in butter, add mayo to veggies, and Bob´s your uncle.

Really, add more veggies, as many green ones as you can. Add a glass or two of barley grass powder.

Keep track of your nutrients, your digestion will get better and better. Good luck.

1 Like

Yeah, add straight to the trash can.

yeeeccchhh !! :runaway:

In other news, after reaching 93kg I abandoned the IF diet. Since late September I now eat lunch and dinner, both are pretty keto-ish.

On IF I think I lost some muscle (I am underweight at 93kg). Numbers in the weight room plateaued, anyway, and are now rising slowly. Not easy for my metabolism to utilize sufficient protein on IF, ime.

Currently clocking in at 94.6kg.

93kgs
Underweight
?

How tall are you?

Right at 183cm.

Im 183 and 90kgs but feel fat as fuck.

Keto is a good way to get your weight under control. It’s one of the very few diets that I’ve been able to wean myself off (or actually to modify by adding carbs) and transition to a lifestyle that keeps my weight under control and keeps me in good health.

There’s a poster here who (I think) has it down about pat above, @finley. You can browse up and read his thoughts if you’re interested.

eta: @finley is not a nutritionist nor a doctor nor a dietician, not as far as I know. He does have good insight into why keto works, how it works, how it can be healthy, why some recommended diets are a bad choice, why the USDA food pyramid is bad advice, etc.

1 Like

I take great pride in not bring a nutritionist. F’ing idiots the lot of them.

1 Like

Liquid grass is no problem. I have a problem with nutritional yeast. And most kinds of lettuce.

That’s intense. I shoot for around 100g of carbohydrates and that seems to work for me. I’m over that now, but I’m just trying to maintain my weight at this point. If I start to gain again, I’ll adjust to under 100g and the extra weight should come off pretty fast.

Keto is extreme…I want to make sure I enter ketosis and stay there for the first month or two. Once I reach my goal I’ll likely move to something that is closer to where you are.

1 Like

Gordon Biersch, Keto friendly chicken taco wrapped with lettuce yum.

20190119_194432

3 Likes

Looks nice, but I think I’d want three plates of those to feel full. Portions in Taipei are really shrinking these days.

I do carb cycling.

But mostly I cook everything my own. I dont do exactly keto but I will have healthy fats, lots of greens and protein. Basically I go for some fatty meat like beef and salmon, add in olive oil, and for more fats - cheese, guacamole, avocado, nuts like almonds and peanuts.

1 Like

I thought I did, but didn’t, have a good understanding of my carb intake or the huge differences between foods until I found an app and started tracking every meal.

1 Like

Yep. This is one of the reasons I can’t do intuitive diet.

I think intuitive diet works once you understand nutrition and why you want to eat certain things.