Ketogenic "Keto" diet in Taiwan

Shopee has people selling homemade Keto snacks like Flapjacks and also MTC oil

Fried chicken nuggets are a great snack. I have been through two Costco packages since I started the diet. But yeah, snacks while at the computer are hard to let go. I do nuts, Greek yogurt, chicken nuggets, algae for crunch. If push comes to shove I have dark chocolate bits with almonds.

I like tea a lot and must have coffee. Getting used to coffee without milk was hard but doable and there is some MTC stuff or 35% cream you can get. I also get carbonated water drinks with lemon. Gets the soda fix.

I lost 7 kilos and holding.

Interestingly, I do not miss rice or pasta or noodles. Potatoes and sweet potatoes I do.

1 Like

I just added coconut oil yesterday. Added a teaspoon to black coffee. Surely not the best way to eat it, but I don’t know any good ways.

Do watch your salt and other minerals consumption. Since in this regime we are drinking and expeling lots of water, we lose a lot of salt. Cramps ain’t no fun.

Add more salt to food and take supplements.

Doesn’t coconut oil cost a fortune? I see it in Carrefour every now and then, it feels like staring at Bitcoins.

Been eating olives from the bottle which are in salty brine. Helps but not sure how much.

Yea, the smallest container I bought at Jason’s was NT$499. I’ll be looking for cheaper sources if I keep it using it.

Depends. And not all kinds of coconut oil are suitable for keto.

A good bet is to hit up traditional markets or the restaurants that show hanging ducks and chicken. You can get good, lean meat for cheap. Also, when in doubt, grab a couple of tea eggs from any convenience store.

MTC is a bit better. Can add cream and butter

Buy from Costco you get the huge plastic drums for about 600

the buffet places are good if u wanna be healthy i guess but i just can’t stand them. cold and wet food that makes me feel poor.

i find taiwan is pretty easy to prepare healthy food at home. theres a lot of cheap food too such as pumpkins/ sweet potato. you can usually find some cheap lettuce for salad. i don’t have much of a problem other than its boring and takes slightly more time than eating out.

You can get lard everywhere. Pork belly is a great high fat and cheap meat. The Trinity Indian stores sell ghee

Oh also you can get almond flour at dry markets.

Also good on Keto is that spirits are nearly 0 carb

Organic stores carry pork fat now.

I’ve been eating low-carb for about 10 years. Two things I find surprising about it: 1) how much better I feel (and look) and 2) how many people are interested in telling me, with some vehemence, that’s it’s about as dangerous as having a nice bowl of crack cocaine for breakfast. Still, as mentioned, probably best to avoid that whole can of worms.

Personally I think the term ‘keto’ is inappropriate because most people in the maintenance phase of a low-carb diet are not, in fact, in ketosis. Full-bore ketosis only occurs during the first few weeks. The rest of the time you’ll be getting a large amount of glucose (indirectly) from dietary triglycerides and a modest amount of dietary carbs. “Low” here just means “lower than the fearsomely excessive amount of carbs recommended by the USDA to keep grain sales buoyant”.

Aaaanyways … personally I find it’s not easy to find a low-carb breakfast in Taiwan, but everything else isn’t too troublesome. I usually make my own breakfast (western-style fry-up, vegetables, and homemade yoghurt). There’s also a coffee shop near me where the boss does a modified breakfast for me (salad + sausage + egg) and I had a similar arrangement at my old place. If you have a regular coffee haunt don’t be afraid to ask for a special.

I’ll occasionally snack on eggs or cheese, and invariably eat either huo guo or barbecue after my workout. The all-you-can-eat ones are great because you can pick and choose exactly what you want and avoid starchy bits.

If you’re not as easily pleased as I am, the Japanese-style fried pork restaurants are good (usually unlimited cabbage/salad on the side) and Japanese restaurants in general have a good low-carb selection, eg., grilled fish, grilled veg.

oh … btw, if it’s not a lifestyle change, then there’s no point. You’ll lose some weight and then put it straight back on again.

5 Likes

My only “drawback” is the sudden hunger: I don’t follow a proper low-carb diet, but avoiding flour/sugar leads to a big cut in the daily amount of carbs. The result is that when I do start to feel hungry I go from:“I think it may be time to have a meal” to “I want to insert a whole tuna in my mouth right now” in a matter of minutes.

Just to add, Keto is not really just Low Carb. It’s very low carb and high fat. Getting enough fat is the key thing on the Keto diet

That’s the distinction between keto and other low carb diets like Paleo and Atkins. You are training yourself to becoming a fat burning machine

2 Likes

Yes, it drives me mad when people try to “improve” low-carb diets by doing low-fat simultanously. They’re basically running on fresh air and protein.

2 Likes

You should try a version of bulletproof coffee. When I worked in the US this is how I started most mornings (with a couple hard-boiled eggs after). Stick blender, a tablespoon of unsalted, fresh butter plus a tablespoon of coconut oil.

Really focused my mind right out of the gate. Bit of a revelation, in fact.

1 Like

That’s a bit odd. One of the upsides of LCHF is that you can go for hours without feeling hungry. I mean, you still have an awareness that your stomach is empty, but you don’t get that massive energy drop and gnawing hunger that you do on a carb-based diet.

Might be worth just doing a standard induction phase and see how you go from there. It sounds like you’ve never forced your body to adapt to fat-burning. It sounds a bit woo-woo but it’s a standard part of the LCHF switch; nobody seems to know why, but unless you actually bring carbs down to <25g per day your body just refuses to switch on the ketosis machinery and tries to struggle along in carb mode.

1 Like