KGB Kiwi Gourmet Burgers

Had a terrific lunch here recently. Good food, laid-back atmosphere, nice staff–this is the way we like it. Love those big iced glasses of roobois tea.

Went for a second visit there last night - first time I had the “Little Piggy” (with bacon) and last night the Kiwi Burger, both time with fries. The burgers taste great and are definetely not expensive if you consider their size, as well soft-drinks are very reasonable at NT35 for a can (comes with a glass of ice). In my opinion. :wink:

As to the furniture - it might not be brandnew but so what? The decor is simple but again I don’t see the problem here.

I shall be back, and lot’s of success to Antoni and Matt with their new business. :beer:

[quote=“wasabipeanut3”]mate, us too.
But we have cunning plans for potato fritters and pineapple fritters. No fush and chups yet but a fush burger is in the works.

We’re working on briging over L & P and toffee pops but it’s proving trickier than we hoped.
Cheers mate[/quote]

mate why L&P hasn’t taken the world by storm is just a mystery to me…

What are…
A) L&P
B) VB
C) Paua fritters

I’m guessing they are Kiwi foodstuffs…but what kind? WHAT KIND?

L&P no idea.
VB = Victoria bitter. Cheap generic beer from a giant brewery. Think Aussie Budweiser or Brit Tennents lager.
Paua fritters. Paua is a kind of abalone. You get it at wedding banquets a lot. Has a very beautiful green and pink mother of pearl interior. Meat is rubbery and tasteless.

A kiwi soft drink - world famous in New Zealand!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lemon_&_Paeroa

L&P have some GREAT ads. You can find them on youtube.com Hilarious.
Back on topic though, I went to KGB today. I had a vegie burger with chips. Both good. Many of the prices there are VERY reasonable. I have certainly been to many far more dingy places in Taiwan that charge far more. They were quite busy but still managed to get the food out quickly.
I can’t really see how any place could charge less than what they are charging on many things and make any money. I guess no matter how reasonable the prices some people will complain and want to pay less.
My only complaint would be that the kitchen is only open until 10 pm. My fault really though that I tend to work until late when I am in Taibei and that is the only thing which would stop me from eating there more often when I am in North Taiwan.

Paua is the Maori word for abalone but in NZ paua is delicious.
The meat is black while the abalone I’ve seen in Taiwan is white.

I used to go out to the beach put on a mask and get the paua myself. (We’d get crayfish - lobster like - by hand too) tenderise it with a milk bottle (befor the days of cartons) and fry it in butter … so gooood. THE abalone in Taiwan is bland and rubbery (no milk bottles :slight_smile: )

You can mince it and put it in batter (a paua fritter) but I always had to fry it.

L & P
nz.youtube.com/watch?v=GSFCvG6curE

mate enough said.

Ok, a little more, apparently it goes well with good gaoliang.

VB is Amos’s favourite beer so knock it at ya own risk. We do have Monteiths which is good South Island beer (NZ).

nz.youtube.com/watch?v=iKNQ-crIr … re=related - this one is just for fun :slight_smile:

Monteiths I do like. I’m looking forward to trying your place.

You do get the black abalone here, too, as I said – they don’t call it abalone though. They call it the highly original name: seven-hole shell on account of the holes in the shell. Bashed with a milkbottle, minced and fried they might be good. Boiled in cornstarch and soysauce they’re utterly disgusting.

I made my first visit to KGB with fairly high expectations and wasn’t disappointed by the overall experience.I had a beef,bacon and avocado burger with the comp salad and a Montieths Pilsner to wash it down (boy I miss those NZ beers).The bun is a huge flat disc and is neither sweet nor awfully dense, a perfect platform for soaking up all the juices from the patty.A large dollop of avocado atop the meaty patty and a piece of bacon.Delish!My only quibble is that the bacon was a little tasteless.
The laobans seemed like good guys and were happy to take feedback.Good luck to you both.I’ll be back to try the chicken cranberry burger real soon.

[quote=“almas john”][quote]world famous in New Zealand!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lemon_&_Paeroa[/quote][/quote]

Famous world-wide, but only in New Zealand, eh? :wink:

Congratulations Anthony! I remember you mentioning you plans to open a place of some kind - though I think the nature of the place was top secret. Hope it goes well. I will stop by for a burger if I am ever in Taiwan.

me and the Mrs were over at lunch today. All good and the Mrs , who usually frowns a bit about Western food, enjoyed it.

I would never have guessed that cranberry and camanbere go together so well. We’ll definitely be back in the future.

yep, like most things in NZ, world famous except for the fact that no one else has ever heard of them except us. Being at the end of the world helps keep NZ things secret a bit longer.

Cheers Kiwi, took a little while to get open. Nevermind, nows the fun part. See ya when ya in town. I may even have Macs by then.
Antoni

Macs eases the pain!!

I went to KGB today, and I was really impressed. I have been checking out different burger joints since I came to Taiwan. I have eaten the burgs at Dan Ryans, Q Bar, The Diner, Evan’s, Bongo’s and Forkers.

I can clearly state that the KGB burger was the best, by a good distance. It was juicy and meaty, not too dense, the bun was good, and the garlic mayonaise was really nice. I also had the caesar salad: tasty but a touch dry. The fries were fine but not inspiring in any way.

I had a glass of the house red, which was the familiar Costco Hardy’s Cab Sauv which is a wine I quite like. But, in this case, the box had been opened too long and the wine had gone off a bit. I also had a VB, which had also gone off a bit, leading me to think that the owners need to get a bit more serious about booze storage.

The service was very attentive but a bit confused at times. But bottom line: excellent burger. Next time I have a burger yearning, I will go there.
What Alley Cats is to pizza, this place is to burgers.

I had the Double Happy Fun Burger. I found the taste of the meat to be overwhelmed by the bacon. But overall it was very good. The meat is definitely ‘backyard barbeque’. Not a whole lot of flavor. 330NT is a high price, but there is a lot of meat in that thing, so I’ll be paying the price again. The chicken strips were also good. Also a little on the bland side. This is a very good addition to the burger experience of Taipei.

Do not taunt Double Happy Fun Burger.
Do not turn your back on Double Happy Fun Burger.
Do not play games with Double Happy Fun Burger.
Do not underestimate Double Happy Fun Burger.

Oh yeah, and when I left, I slapped myself on the head and said, “I could have had a VB!”

Cheers Big-John.
Sorry about the beer and wine. The cask is about 10 days old. I was drinking most of it as our customers haven’t been ordering much.
We will switch to bottles when we get more wine drinkers. Actually, I have to talk to a guy bringing in some NZ wines and a French friend is working with us too.

I got the VB last week and we rotate the drinks in the fridge so nothing is in there too long. I’ll talk to the supplier and make sure he’s not dumping stock on us.
So cheers mate
Oh, yeah my service …well I’ll take confused, that was our busiest day yet and our wait staff Paige had an exam so she wasn’t able to come in so it was just me and not 2 of us. The confusion was closer to restrained panic :slight_smile:.

Doc, the bacon is quite tasty which is why we looked hard for it. The beef has got a more pure beef flavour. We’ve found most people love it but some people prefer a more seasoned patty. So we are planning on doing 2 different beef patties. We already have the other patty ready to go. We’re just overloaded as we’re a new restaurant and both me and Matt are new to the restaurant game so the learning curve is almost vertical. But we hope to be able to offer it near the end of next week.
A great deal of thought has gone into the patty and we are only on stage 1 of it’s development…we know what’s next in it’s development so we’ll be letting you know when Mark II is to be released.

Cheers
Ants

Just been shootin’ the breeze with the good peanut.

“Mate”
“Mate”
“Maate”
“Sir Ed”
“Mate”
“Colin bloody Meads”
“Mate!”
“Mate?”
“Mate”

Basically, the bloke in question has been getting a bit emotional, a bit too passionate about the food. Had to remind him that he is a Kiwi, not a frog or wop. Good old Ed didn’t get emotional knocking off that bastard mountain Everest, and if Colin “Pinetree” Meads could play through a match with a broken arm, peanut should be able to take a bit of mild criticism without flinching.

For non kiwis, here’s a bit on meads from wiki

Anyway, I’m just jealous of you Taipei folks having another great food option. Cheers

:beer:

mate,
true
cheers