Kindy in TW

Which year did it become illegal to teach kindy kids English?

2005?

1 Like

The 幼兒園教保服務實施準則, which specifically bans foreign language lessons (regardless of who teaches them), was passed in 2012. That doesn’t mean there was no ban before that, but it seems to the clearest one still in effect.

The Employment Service Act was passed in 1992. The current version of Art. 43 of the ESA is what forbids working without permission (while foreign), though it was amended in 2000; I’m not sure how it was worded before that.

There’s also the question of when the CLA (predecessor of the MOL) banned subcontracting non-buxiban teaching positions to buxibans. I can look that up later if you want.

1 Like

According to this report in 2008, it seems MoE decided and announced to ban English in kinder in a step-by-step manner in 2005.

由幼兒美語的迷思及政策演進省思我國幼兒美語應走的方向 - 輔英科技大學

1 Like

I’ve had people try to tell me that their schools is allowed to teach Kindy aged kids because it’s not registered as a Kindy, and they also teach older kids. Is this true?

Unregistered de facto kinder is illegal. If it is not a kinder and local gov doesn’t ban to teach English to under 6, it is ok.

Fyi

1 Like

Hi Tando
I’ve got a school that wants me to teach young kids, but it seems their name is not set out as a 幼兒園 but instead as a 凱兒分校. They have been around for a long time as a bilingual place for little kids. I specifically asked if a foreigner could teach there and they said yes. I wonder of they fit the category you mentioned. Also, I couldn’t find the appropriate law that relates to this situation. The link brings up a blank query. Thanks for following this thread

Is it a school of 芝蔴街美語 in Tainan?

If so, there is a kinder
臺南市私立人上人幼兒園 (06)2082888 臺南市東區東安里5鄰長榮路二段32巷8號 南市社兒字第1357443號
And a buxiban for elementary school kids
芝蔴開門股份有限公司附設臺南市私立凱仕蘭文理短期補習班 東區長榮路2段32巷6號1-3樓 (06)2745257 南市教終字第09202595440號

They are located side by side.

So, they might get a work permit for you as an English teacher of the Buxiban for older kids, then might order you to teach at the kinder illegally. I don’t know how they are doing and for what they will hire you, so this is just a possibility.

2 Likes

wow, you are quite on the ball. I couldn’t imagine you know Taiwan that well. After further reading into Forumosa forums, I realized that’s what they might do. They also mentioned different hours for the Buxiban hours, so they might keep it separate. Will need to clarify these details with them. I already have a job, and don’t need to compromise it.
Thanks again

Outstanding!

I’m not in the same league as Tando in terms of knowledge, but the address of the sponsor of your ARC will be different to the address you’re teaching kindy. That’s where you will be in trouble if caught. Clarifying this issue with the school won’t help because they will lie.

1 Like

The interview went well. No talk about kindergarten, only cram school positions with their regular hours

What are the cram school hours?

4:30 to 6:30 and 2 to 4 on some days. all afternoon or early evening. from my experience, the kindergarden hours would be morning hours.

1 Like

That sounds OK.

thanks

There are full English kindergartens everywhere. They will hire you as a bushiban teacher officially and let you teach the young kids in the morning off the record. If someone shows up for inspection, you will be routed out the back or hidden. When the kids eat and sleep, they will go to another apartment or building to hide because it’s not allowed. FUBARed laws that go against everything linguistics teaches us and depriving kids of a meal for no reason is just plain wrong. Supposedly Vegetable English wants to change all of this in order to facilitate English becoming a second language.

How is this law not violating the constitution? Doesn’t make any sense to me…

What part of the constitution?

Article 11?