KMT upgrade plan blatently political

taipeitimes.com/News/front/a … 2003447086

The rules on this need to be change.

Here in Taipei, the upgrade of the city/county will not only extend Jason Hu’s term beyond the eight-year (two term) limit, it will allow him to run for mayor again of the new municipal government.

In Taipei County (to be rechristianed Sinbei City), the magistrate will be allowed to retain his office one more year despite the fact that he seemed to be on his way to a devestating defeat in the year-end magistrate elections to the DPP candidate.

Sure, they allowed Kaohsiung City/County to go through, but Kaohsiung City is already a special municipality, and it would even look MORE egregious had that not been granted.

Tainan City-County should have been included in the upgrade. The central government also needs to be more concerned about the agricultural regions of the country. Frankly, this piecemeal approach to administative reform is silly and will do more harm than good in the long run. The entire administrative map should be reassessed, not just those few areas “applying” for upgrade - and it should be done in what is in the bests interests of the country - not merely in the best interests of the KMT party-state.

Whatever. This is something that has been wanted by both the people in the counties AND the former administration for many years. You’re just pissed because it took the KMT to actually get it done. :unamused:
Its got fuck all to do with politics for the man in the street, who just wants to see more equitable distribution of wealth. Its a great move that’s been a long time coming.
And if people in Taichung are so against Jason Who? they’ll now have all the voters in the county to get him out.
Please don’t read this as me showing ANY desire whatever to engage in yet another of your interminable green good-blue bad “debates” – I’m merely setting the record straight.

[quote=“ludahai”]
In Taipei County (to be rechristianed Sinbei City)[/quote]

As long as it is not called “Sinbei” in A-bian’s horrible Tongyong pinyin. :raspberry:

[quote=“Mawvellous”][quote=“ludahai”]
In Taipei County (to be rechristianed Sinbei City)[/quote]

As long as it is not called “Sinbei” in A-bian’s horrible Tongyong Pinyin. :raspberry:[/quote]

And Xinbei is any better?

And it isn’t A-Bian’s “horrible” pinyin nor is Tongyong all that terrible.

[quote=“sandman”]Whatever. This is something that has been wanted by both the people in the counties AND the former administration for many years. You’re just pissed because it took the KMT to actually get it done. :unamused:
Its got fuck all to do with politics for the man in the street, who just wants to see more equitable distribution of wealth. Its a great move that’s been a long time coming.
And if people in Taichung are so against Jason Who? they’ll now have all the voters in the county to get him out.
Please don’t read this as me showing ANY desire whatever to engage in yet another of your interminable green good-blue bad “debates” – I’m merely setting the record straight.[/quote]

1. It does NOT provide a more equitable distribution of wealth for green-leaning agricultural areas in the south and center.

2. It is arguably unconstitutional as it will extend terms of mayors and magistrates without an election.

I am not against the idea of a merger, but for it to be done in a piecemeal manner and done in a way that blatently helps a KMT mayor and magistrate is wrong (though considering it is coming from the KMT, not surprising).

1. It does and it most certainly WILL, as the DPP well knew when they were pushing for it to get the Taipei City resources more equitably disbursed between the county and city, which pretty much EVERYBODY is in favour of, with the possible exception of those in Taipei City who want their cake and FUCK those little brown-skinned buffalo-wranglers out in the boondocks.
  2. Unconstitutional? Maybe. Unelected? Maybe. Got links? I don’t believe this one for a second. Hu won’t have to run? Bollocks. Again, this is nothing more than a petty green good-blue bad diatribe.
    Its boring, albeit utterly predictable. Black is white. The new DPP mantra, eh? Jesus!
    When WE want it, its good. When THEY want it, its bad. Fucking schoolboys.
    More money flowing into agricultural areas is BAAAAD! says you. Numbnuts, says I.

Its “arguments” like yours that show anyone who’s interested in the subject that you (not the DPP, obviously, as this is something they wanted for years) have nothing – absolutely NOTHING – other than knee-jerk responses along the same old boring lines of “the KMT want it, therefore its bad.” Do yourself a favour.

“Sinbei”?

Call we call it “Sinbad City”?

In keeping with the Politicisation of Everything Principle upgrading Taipei County will result in miles of column inches and several hundred hours of frenetic talk show activity. But for people who live in Taipei County, most of whom are sick to death of the childish KMT/DPP cat-fighting on TV every day, this is a very simple, meat and potatoes issue of moeny for infrastructure. Taipei County is far bigger than Taipei City, but gets far less funding.

Obviously, as Taiwan doesn’t have a functioning government and never will, something as mundane as reorganising administrative boundaries can’t simply be done by a civil service commission. But it needs to be done, whether by the DPP, the KMT, or the bloody Mothers’ Union. Who cares which political gangster gets to fill his pockets as a result? This is Taiwan. Every time anything happens here, some corrupt gangster politician gets to buy a new house with public money. So be it. We all know that. Let’s just get the damned thing done. Whatever Zheng Ke is involved is going to get his new house anyway, by hook or by crook, why not let the people of Taipei County get some small benefit out of it?

[quote=“sandman”]1) It does and it most certainly WILL, as the DPP well knew when they were pushing for it to get the Taipei City resources more equitably disbursed between the county and city, which pretty much EVERYBODY is in favour of, with the possible exception of those in Taipei City who want their cake and FUCK those little brown-skinned buffalo-wranglers out in the boondocks.
2) Unconstitutional? Maybe. Unelected? Maybe. Got links? I don’t believe this one for a second. Hu won’t have to run? Bollocks. Again, this is nothing more than a petty green good-blue bad diatribe.
Its boring, albeit utterly predictable. Black is white. The new DPP mantra, eh? Jesus!
When WE want it, its good. When THEY want it, its bad. Fucking schoolboys.
More money flowing into agricultural areas is BAAAAD! says you. Numbnuts, says I.

Its “arguments” like yours that show anyone who’s interested in the subject that you (not the DPP, obviously, as this is something they wanted for years) have nothing – absolutely NOTHING – other than knee-jerk responses along the same old boring lines of “the KMT want it, therefore its bad.” Do yourself a favour.[/quote]

You are completely mischaracterizing what I am saying here, and you obviously don’t know what you are talking about regarding Jason Hu.

Surely you know that elected officials are limited to eight years in office. Jason Hu, currently mayor of Taichung, is approaching his eight years and is ineligible to run for re-election this December. Upgrading Taichung City-County to Special Municipality status will extend Hu’s existing tenure into a NINTH year. I don’t know if this is unconstitutional or illegal (I have to look into which), but it IS a violation of term limits. His term was to end in early 2010, but this will extend it one year without an election. This is illigitimate.

It will NOT result in more funds being sent to agricultural areas such as Changhua, Yunlin, and Chiayi counties as they are not included in the upgrade plans. In fact, it will likely result in LESS funds being sent there as MORE funds will be sent to Taipei, Taichung, and Kaohsiung counties. There isn’t more money going into the kitty, so where do you think the money is going to come from?

yeap, and once they reduce the budget next year, things will even get bloodier… or will the government increase it based on a probable 6.374% growth?

[quote=“Lord Lucan”]“Sinbei”?

Call we call it “Sinbad City”?

In keeping with the Politicisation of Everything Principle upgrading Taipei County will result in miles of column inches and several hundred hours of frenetic talk show activity. But for people who live in Taipei County, most of whom are sick to death of the childish KMT/DPP cat-fighting on TV every day, this is a very simple, meat and potatoes issue of moeny for infrastructure. Taipei County is far bigger than Taipei City, but gets far less funding.

Obviously, as Taiwan doesn’t have a functioning government and never will, something as mundane as reorganising administrative boundaries can’t simply be done by a civil service commission. But it needs to be done, whether by the DPP, the KMT, or the bloody Mothers’ Union. Who cares which political gangster gets to fill his pockets as a result? This is Taiwan. Every time anything happens here, some corrupt gangster politician gets to buy a new house with public money. So be it. We all know that. Let’s just get the damned thing done. Whatever Zheng Ke is involved is going to get his new house anyway, by hook or by crook, why not let the people of Taipei County get some small benefit out of it?[/quote]

I have no problem with reorganizing the map. It is badly needed - not only in the north, but nationwide. However, the increased neglecting of the agricultural south as well as the one-year extension of the terms of the Taipei Magistrate (who is sure to lose in December’s election if it is held) and the Taichung Mayor (who can’t run again because of term limits) is fishy. Ignoring this fact only shows partisanship of the Bluebots on the board.

is that right? A caretaker year until new officials are elected? Sounds reasonable to me. Or you would prefer NO officials for a year? Or hold off the change until elections have taken place? And this is NOT going to happen? Again, links. And watch that hammer!
This is NOTHING but “boo hoo those nasty nasty blues!” You look silly. There again, its pretty difficult to tell silliness from utter, utter daftness when you’re dealing with blinkered, tunnel-visioned numpties. Maybe you’re just a typical example? Naaah! I know plenty of normal DPP supporters, so that can’t be it.

Why are you not complaining that the DPP’s Chen in Kaohsiung will have her term extended by a year as well?

Why are you not complaining that the DPP’s Chen in Kaohsiung will have her term extended by a year as well?[/quote]
She’s green. Doesn’t count. Obviously. Sheesh! Don’t you know ANYTHING about Taiwanese clown culture?

is that right? A caretaker year until new officials are elected? Sounds reasonable to me. Or you would prefer NO officials for a year? Or hold off the change until elections have taken place? And this is NOT going to happen? Again, links. And watch that hammer!
This is NOTHING but “boo hoo those nasty nasty blues!” You look silly. There again, its pretty difficult to tell silliness from utter, utter daftness when you’re dealing with blinkered, tunnel-visioned numpties. Maybe you’re just a typical example? Naaah! I know plenty of normal DPP supporters, so that can’t be it.[/quote]

What do you want a link for? I live in Taichung. I know how long Hu has been mayor - anyone here knows. If there is a term-limit law, it should be respected. Furthermore, this change will allow him to run for a third term after he has been mayor for nine years (already one year longer than the current legal limit.) Of course, to partisan Blues, that doesn’t matter because the KMT doesn’t have to respect the spirit of the law - only the Greens do.

Why are you not complaining that the DPP’s Chen in Kaohsiung will have her term extended by a year as well?[/quote]

No, it won’t. She wasn’t due for re-election until next year anyway. Kaohsiung City already has special municipality status.

She’s green. Doesn’t count. Obviously. Sheesh! Don’t you know ANYTHING about Taiwanese clown culture?[/quote]

Don’t you know anything about elections in Taiwan? It will NOT result in a one-year extension in her term as Kaohsiung City is ALREADY a special municipality and thus wasn’t up for re-election in this December’s elections. Please educate yourself on this before using the keyboard. Thanks.

No, it won’t. She wasn’t due for re-election until next year anyway. Kaohsiung City already has special municipality status.[/quote]

Hey, I’m just quoting from your link.

[quote=“cfimages”]
Hey, I’m just quoting from your link.[/quote]

The article is incorrect regarding Mayor Chen. The terms of the Taipei, Taichung, Kaoshiung Magistrates and Taichung Mayor will all be extended one year, but NOT the term of mayor Chen because she isn’t up for re-election until next year.

The Taipei Magistrate and Taichung Mayor extensions are the most problematical as Hu is up against term limits and the Taipei Magistrate is surely slated to lose in December.

Man, ludahai, the man just be puttin’ DA PEEPLE down! Man! ANY MEANS NECCESSARY! Remember Malcolm X.
EVERYBODY wants this. Its a GOOD thing, as the DPP knew when they tried and failed, on account of they were a bunch of no-good no-hoper corrupt dickwads. Live with it!
SIT AT THE FRONT OF THE BUS!

You mean the Taipei Times got something wrong? Oh the horror.

Seriously, no one is being given another term so term limits don’t apply. In normal countries, having a caretaker govt for a period of time is a pretty normal thing.