KTV fire kills 5+ in Taipei

It begs the obvious question. What happened between the previous inspection, that they must have passed, and this inspection?

5 Likes

So many buildings have some of the doors blocked and/or door locked.

Even the Cityhall Mall second floor near Friday’s has doors that are locked.

Some places do it to control pedestrian flow and other places do it to block the wind or rain.

Sadly these things happen everywhere. Look at Grenfell tower. One can only hope/push for lasting changes to laws and regulations.

Actually, the regulations are probably OK. What needs to change is the mindset. Safety is not an option.

7 Likes

“[Cashbox] has already offered each family a 100,000NT bereavement payment
”

1 Like

6 locations closed now, 2 that closed down are in Taichung. One was a Holiday KTV but they have some sort of affiliation with PartyWorld/Cashbox KTV.

That’s what they do in many communities, remove all stuff from stair cases, have fire department inspection. Move everything back to stair cases. Block fire doors.

1 Like

Perhaps the inspectors knew that the inspections were actually consequential?

1 Like

Well, whoever was responsible (unless they’ve already been caught) has probably emptied their bank accounts, transferred assets, and made a run for it.

2 Likes

To where I wonder?

Sanchong?

They were just interviewing one of the KTV employees on the news, and she said they didn’t turn off the alarm and sprinkler systems before the fire. They were always off, and only turned on right before inspections.

:astonished:

10 Likes

Ktv/ MTv fires have happened quite a few times in Taiwan over the last few decades. So sad. When I went to the MTV on ChongShiao E.Rd. (went there a lot) . There was this escape rope in each room. Apparently you can put it on yourself and jump out the window and it would lower you down to the ground . The next guy or girl in my case could then pull the rope back up and lower herself down? Actually i would in the name of chivalry let her go down first. This way in case the rope breaks
I mean
To make sure shes safe. Well it is supposed to hold two people at once so two can jump together. Hella scary though. Think that place was on the 12th floor?

ON top of the KISS disco

3 Likes

But why? Are they afraid that people smoking inside a KTV room would set the alarm off?

Yes, that was the main reason given. Also to cut costs probably.

4 Likes

They also lock the emergency doors so patrons will not leave without paying.

Apparently the fire started when a cheapo charger overheated a cheapo outlet extension. So the worker who plugged it in is being held as responsible. Same with «manager», a 30 year old hua ping that cannot possibly know how to change a plug.

1 Like

It’s ridiculous to charge someone with a crime for charging a device. Whoever turned off the alarm should be held responsible.

8 Likes

I love Taiwan, but something like this sounds like Taiwan.

7 Likes

I guess that should be the branch manager for making such stupid decisions as turning off the alarms and locking the emergency doors.

Don’t they take your ID when you use a room? And don’t they have a security camera near the emergency exit? Wasn’t smoking indoors in publicly shared facilities banned by the government?

6 Likes