Large US Bank Collapses - Are Cash Deposits Safe?

When it comes to bonds, the two main factors at play are interest rate risk and creditworthiness. IMHO, the US government will still be around even after every single US company has gone bankrupt i.e. the US will never default. SVB lost a huge amount of money because of wrong bets on the direction of interest rates, not because the creditworthiness of the US Government was suddenly being called into question.

Contrast Treasury with MBS. For the later, there’s always a risk that homeowners would default on their mortgages and then there’s also interest rate risk.

Also, say SVB hadn’t been forced to sell those bonds, they were still required under the GAAP accounting rules to mark to market their securities which means that they would have to report an accounting loss. It’s true that when that happens it’s not a monetary loss, but people do look at these things when analyzing financial statements and making investment decisions.

Actually what SVB should have done is to first raise capital quietly and then announce the loss. Instead they tried the other way around.

2 Likes

Not tell lenders and investors about its loss until after securing their money? That’s some jail time there.

As part of the capital raise, SVB will have to explain to potential investors about the losses, and then afterwards during the announcement of the quarterly result, they can say that yes we have all these losses, but we’ve found new investors that are willing to put in capital.

The run began before any announcement of losses. It began behind the scenes when Founders Fund was informed by its investors that they were having problems using SVB’s funds transfer services. Peter Thiel alerted Founders Fund clients and investors ro pull their money from SVB on the news.

Households have become marginal buyers of treasuries. Way better returns than deposits

Actually, more than marginal, they’re piling in.

I just bought IEI.

With six-month Treasury bills offering 5% interest rate it makes sense to buy them. The downside is the cost of paying interest on America’s $31.5 trillion and growing national debt is increasing several fold too.

And? If SVB had managed to raise capital a month or two before, enough to cover the gap in their balance sheet, there wouldn’t have been any problem with the fund transfer services in the first place.

At the end of the day, these guys don’t know how to run a bank. When interest rate is rising, you don’t buy long duration bonds, period. Why not buy short term Treasury bills? Or if you do buy long bonds, well you’d better hedge the interest rate risk.

Edit: the Chief Risk Officer of SVB had a degree in … public administration. That’s all everyone needs to know really.

1 Like

https://www.tiktok.com/t/ZTR75DsVa/

1 Like

Right.

That much harder to feel I feel. I’m in the market to win, money, not the knowledge that my county’s financial system is the most regular thing ever. Just money.

When it comes time to collect Social Security and rely on Medicare for health insurance the pain will become real.

They had to sell to fund withdrawals and sold at loss because one pct yield bonds don’t bring a profit instead sold at a loss realizing some one point five billion loss

Maybe they didn’t need to divest the whole portfolio all at once

FAIK

Medicare pays the hospitals Medicare you still put in money

Currently something like 460 bucks every three months you need to pay for the average
Joe

And you still have to sign up with some group provider like a hospital group to actually see a doc

Social security is the only thing where they pay you every month

Medicare can increase

Maybe more will now, after Swiss bank being gone

And people laugh at me with my crypto. If it’s in your wallet nobody can grab it off you.

1 Like

Failing Bank

5 Likes

seems gone back up a lot recently, hard figure what is good now that banks need check out carefully

Liquidity is good for crypto. Save the banks, save crypto, watch gold run up.

“With an abnegation of moral hazard, the long-term value of the dollar doesn’t stand a chance.”
Rome fell in very similar circumstances.
A combination of delusional, disconnected, exploitative rulers debasing the currency.
One major difference is this iteration of Rome burning has nukes to complicate things.