Laws in Taiwan

Hey there! Moving to Taiwan from the United States soon. I have lived there for two summers prior to this, but that’s not long enough to really grasp all the rules and laws I need to be aware of. If you know of any laws that are different between the US and Taiwan that I should make sure to know, as well as any laws or rules that are important to know regardless of relevance, that would be a great help! Both out of interest and to make sure I don’t accidentally assume something that is legal in the US is legal in Taiwan. I have searched Google thoroughly but there isn’t much helpful info available.

Thanks!

This also applies to things that are legal that aren’t in the US!

https://tw.forumosa.com/c/legal/general-legal-matters

let your fingers do the job of scrolling

There are no laws in Taiwan. Relax. Do whatever the fuck you want.

8 Likes

The law of Taiwan is that everything is fine until you have crossed some arbitrary line someone else set for you without telling you.

When you become skilled enough, you may even be able to start drawing your own lines in the sand. Trust me, it feels great…to me, dont ask my last boss though.

2 Likes

Would you like some recommended travel itineraries to choose from also?

1. Dont smoke weed
  2. Dont drink and drive
    3 Dont smoke hash
    4.Dont teach at Kindy
  3. Dont use your middle finger to insult that pretty much sums it up
4 Likes

I’d say this one, along with the various “public insult” statutes, surprised me the most as an American. OP, here’s another thread on flipping the bird: Banqiao Man fined NT$26,000 for flipping the bird

1 Like

On addition to following those laws it might be advisory to remember

1. Their food is the best in the world
    2.They are the safest and most friendly country …non country in the universe.
    Have a happy trip to Taiwan!

Do a google on this: EXTREME WARNING to Tourists and Expats visiting Taiwan

It will tell you all you need to know…

2 Likes

also,

1. Don’t take part in any political demonstrations.
  2. Don’t volunteer for things outside your work permit. (no feed the homeless drives, stray dog rescue, etc., if your permit says ‘teacher at X school’).
  3. Don’t get married to a local and then divorce, you’ll pretty much get screwed from every angle.
2 Likes

lol@dont get divorced to a local, actually you might end up getting screwed again at any angle, as well as by your ex wife

Sounds like a research paper topic or news article question. What kind of mysterious bizarre laws would someone be concerned about breaking?

Compare and contrast US and Taiwan laws.

Laws that affect people on a daily basis are somewhat similar in developed countries.

But here’s one. You can carry and drink alcohol nearly anywhere you want on the street and in public.

Adultery is a crime here.

If your husband or wife cheats on you, you can sue the person they cheated with for damages.

It’s OK to pick your nose in public.

1 Like

And once you have picked it , there are many cosmetic facilities that will make it so , Captain Picard😉

But also a national sport…

1 Like

and then rubbing it on the train seat for the next person to sit on.