Leaning towers of Taipei Disaster (sad for home owners)

Hope they can fix it. It will at least in short term become a local attraction for people to see I guess but huge Disaster for the area and multiple towers

[197 households evacuated from tilting apartments in Taipei | Taiwan News | 2023-09-08 10:12:00]

link:https://focustaiwan.tw/society/202309070024

5 Likes

First floor becomes basement… Also, 6 buildings are affected…

1 Like

Some look like beyond repair, hope they get their personal items out. Big error, big insurance payouts I guess

1 Like

the structures were found to have tilted to one side, potentially because a nearby construction site had not properly watered the ground, local authorities said.

Preliminary information indicated that an inadequate water supply under a nearby construction site may have caused the buildings to tilt.

I don’t understand the explanation? I get that water content probably affects ground stability in some way, but do construction sites really need to “properly water the ground” to stop nearby buildings falling over? :thinking:

Also it’s been raining a lot recently. I would have thought the ground was pretty wet anyway.

Struts have failed and I do not see much retaining wall structure (should be steel panels)

In may construction sites the struts are old and rusty and probably reused many times. Perhaps no checks if they can still bear the loads.

3 Likes

But don’t you forget it’s all DPP’s fault, not Ko or the current mayor’s, lmao.

3 Likes

I believe this is the same problem that causes the various sinkholes we’ve seen recently. This video does a good job explaining what’s going on.

3 Likes

Old buildings almost touching each other. One gets down and a new one (taller and with underground parking) is built, again almost touching other buildings.

I am not an engineer but I think there is a problem in how the city was developed and it is still developing today.

4 Likes

How it should look like:

2 Likes

I can’t help but think if this is all intentionally done, perhaps on part of the developer so they can basically get it cheap from them?

It makes me wonder if buying a house is even a wise thing to do in Taiwan.

These kind of things (sink hole) are becoming little to common for my liking. Can’t imagine what those residents are going through.

The problem is what assurance do I have that if I buy a house this won’t happen? Will homeowners insurance cover it? Will immediate coverage for relocation be provided? This is especially a problem in areas with a lot of development.

Not even sure insurance will cover that. If it was the construction companies fault, My guess is they are on the hook for it or if they are insured, their insurance company would be responsible. With that much damage caused, I can see someone claiming bankruptcy instead of paying out.

An apartment of a friends coworker in the US was condemned (structural issues). They were allowed 30 minutes to grab what they could and then forbidden from ever entering again. Not only does insurance not pay out in this case, you’ll have a heck of a time trying to convince the bank that you shouldn’t owe the mortgage anymore. You end up like so many people in China — paying a mortgage on a home that doesn’t exist, plus all your major appliances and furniture are locked away from your access…really bad situation to be in…

3 Likes

More details from the original article:

Taipei Mayor Chiang Wan-an (蔣萬安) arrived at the scene at about 11 p.m. and said the preliminary assessment was a construction project near the area had been excavated to a depth of three floors underground without completing the foundation work. This led to the slurry wall being unable to withstand the pressure and collapsing. To deal with the problem, crews first injected water and then grout to restore the pressure, said Chiang.

They say they’re going to fix it:

Kee Tai Properties Co. Ltd., which is responsible for the construction project, said it will not shirk its responsibilities and will provide multiple improvement plans to address the rights and interests of the affected residents.

3 Likes

It really makes me not want to buy a house.

Don’t matter if I buy it outright or take a mortgage.

And if the area has development what stops an irresponsible developer from doing this? At least renters can just leave.

Interesting Chinese article with more details.

Summary:

• Residents reported cracks appearing in walls and bent metal windows & gates for 8 months. Complaints to the construction companies were ignored.
  • City hall were informed, but they said everything was safe.
  • The council came to collect evidence on 9/7 - same day as the collapse.
  • Construction site workers received an evacuation notice and evacuated the site but no one informed the local residents.
  • Two construction companies were building on the site, and they’re now blaming each other.
7 Likes

You’ve made three posts worrying about whether this is going to prevent you from buying a house, but you don’t have enough money to buy a house, you want to leave Taiwan anyway, and the developers have said they’re going to fix it.

Don’t worry about it man. It’s not a problem. Ain’t a problem for me too, since I couldn’t afford a house here either.

17 Likes