Leaning towers of Taipei Disaster (sad for home owners)

They’re not burning enough fake money nor making enough food offerings.

6 Likes

, restoration of the residents’ homes,

Is this actually fixable? Seems like the affected buildings should all be condemned.

For example, one of the apartment buildings has lost an entire floor.

Yea probably demolish and rebuild something much better. In the meantime residents will have to find a rental, that hopefully the developers will pay for.

:heavy_plus_sign:

:heavy_equals_sign:
:man_facepalming: :person_facepalming: :woman_facepalming:

this is exactly what the building code entails. construction of new.

it has everything to do with the building code

Article 9

The “construction” mentioned in this Code refers to the following actions:
1. New construction: new construction of buildings, or total demolition existing buildings and construction of new buildings.

:+1:

4 Likes

That’s what I thought earlier too (and saw in the Building Act), but then I figured… what’s the point? The tree of anti-facts ever graces us with its abundant fruits! :blush:

3 Likes

Video shows one of the buildings sinking.

8 Likes

I would agree with your train of logic, but this is Taiwan. Look at how roads are designed. Look at how people drive. Logic and common sense don’t always play a role. I shouldn’t be picking on Taiwan though because people making stupid decisions are everywhere. Nevertheless, we live here and have to deal with the local idiots.

2 Likes

Well, he is being prepped for the next presidential race I believe so this is definitely not good for his image. Hopefully people have a short attention span and this will be forgotten by the time the next race starts. Have you noticed his face has been plastered all over the city in the MRT and other places. Big, handsome smile, nice clothes, friendly. It seems as though the KMT has finally run out of the old morons and has moved on to the next generation.

Getting tested out is good. It’s useful to know how capable these people are before they are handed important positions.

My point was that Chiang’s mayorship so far looks reactive, not proactive. Then again he is a KMT mayor and that’s basically how they seem to roll.

The “next generation” bit . . . well OK. But the handsome man from a powerful KMT family is a familiar narrative. We saw this already with Ma!

Guy

1 Like

I believe that they want a candidate who’ll appeal to the younger voters. The old farts can’t convince people anymore.

How about someone who is actually good at this job?

With Chiang, I think it’s still too early to call. But I’m waiting for some vision, any vision . . .

Guy

1 Like

I don’t think they really care about that. I’m of the opinion that they want someone in who can hurry up any kind of policies that will speed up reunification and make it seem legal.

Well OK then that’s not what I am looking for! :rofl:

Guy

See? Foreigners are just not as smart as locals :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: Taiwanese are so smart they would have understood the reference. :laughing:

On a serious note, seems writing and reading for meaning is not a priority… its all about the clooz …

To be fair there is little he can do to predict sink holes… he is the mayor, not 土地公… his management of this case will attest to his skills.

1 Like

Yea there’s little he can do to predict bad contractors and he isn’t God, he probably didn’t even know about all the complaints and such because it wasn’t directed towards him.

This is why politics sucks and it really takes certain types of people to do it without losing their cool.

But how he manages it attests to his skills, and politics is often about how you react to stuff, not predicting stuff that you have no way of predicting.

But really there’s a lot of issue that needs correcting and it’s going to take more than a few politicians to deal with it…

“reunification” Since when has Taiwan been part of the PRC?

2 Likes

What I wrote has nothing to do with who has or has never been part of what. It has to do with the fact that the KMT and CCP have been working very hard to get this done for a long time. Time is money.

Local news report on it last night that I saw said the company is indeed insured.

Wow, that’s pretty crazy…