Leaving US to Study Chinese In Taipei Uni - VISA Process

Hello,

I am planning on studying at the Mandarin Training Center (National Normal University), in the next month or so.

Do I need to contact the school and get a VISA before I get there. Or can I arrive on tourist or 30 day VISA and ask Uni to provide student VISA to me ? If so, how long would this take.

Thank guys

• Delonge

Go to your nearest visa office and apply. You’ll have to show an itinerary of your flight (with return trip or ongoing destination with in 60 days) and a bank statement indicating that you have enough cash to live on. If you’ve already applied to the language program and have an acceptance letter then bring it along.

The schools themselves don’t provide you with a visa and as far as I can tell, there are no student visas. You get a tourist visa which is good for 2 months. If you’re registered at a school, then you’ll be able to extend your visa twice for up to 180 day. After this you can apply for a resident permit but may have to leave the country for that.

This is my understanding of this matter so far. It may change because getting a straight answer on some of these matters is not always easy.

See you at Shida. I’ll be there bright and early Feb. 22nd for registration.

Wow, thanks. But this isn’t the information I was getting from these boards. I thought Universities delivered 3-month sudent visas that were extendable/renewable as needed.

Can any of the senior members provide some insight here ?

Appreciate it.

Delonge

That would be great and I’d love to hear more about that. But, so far I’ve never heard of that.

The university gives you a letter you present at the proper authorities - NIA- to get a resident visa. Not all universities nor all language courses are allowed to give these letters, so that is why people say “the university gives the visa”.

And sincerely, things change so fast it is hard to tell what’s right nowadays.

Go to the nearest TECO with the paperwork above mentioned and they’ll fix you up.

You really are an Icon, Icon … thanks.

So I guess the famous Mandarin Training Center in Taipei delivers such paperwork when you’re through with your visistor visa, basically after 6 months.

Thank you

Delonge