Legal action against local noodle store

So I went to a local noodle shop today (December 12) . Went near their closing time of 3 pm. So I did not notice that they had shut down that metal door by about 25% to prepare for closing . I smashed into it and crumpled to the floor. I am in the hospital now cause of bruising on my forehead The gf called the shop and they offered two free noodles :roll_eyes: Anyone ever taken the legal route with his kinda issue ? If I start bringing up the word “lawyer” will this change anything ? I am a big strong guy and was not seriously impacted by the fall. But imagine someone holding a baby or a senior ? Plus the main point of my anger towards them is that they saw me fall… and not a single staff came out to make sure I was ok or not Any advice would be great

I feel for your injury and I understand that you’re not happy. But it sounds like the fault was yours to begin with. The gate was already 25% down. Why did you try to enter the shop? Were you standing there when the gate came down on your head? Or did you walk into it?

The shop could counter-sue you for damaging their gate.

14 Likes

To put it diplomatically, I don’t think you have a case here.

14 Likes

I agree with the above two posters. I don’t think leaving the gate down partially would be legally considered as negligence.

I could see how that would make you angry, but I don’t think they would have a legal responsibility to do so.

7 Likes

Yup. @canadianboy27 in Taiwan, when the gate is partially down, it usually means the place is not open for business.

1 Like

Please don’t pursue this. You’ll make us all look like dicks. “Foreigner walks into door, alleges racism”

12 Likes

No comment.

This is my lawyer. He’ll give you a better answer.

1 Like

Seems to me that you walked into the gate when it was already down. If anyone has a right to sue its the store for damages to their gate. How did you not see it as you walked in? Were you on your phone? If they lowered it whilst you were in the store, you may have a slightly more solid case but I still don’t think you would get any sympathy as it is normal practice internationally to close the gate near closing time so new customers don’t come in. They should have helped you, and perhaps you can give them a bad review for not caring, but I don’t think you could sue them for that.

Why is the gate down when the store is open? Is it not reasonable to expect the place to be open during opening hours?

1 Like

Because the store was about to close. They probably didn’t want new customers. Quite normal in my opinion.

Dude, it’s literally your own fault! Sounds like you didn’t see the steel door was half shut and just ran into it like a bird flying into a glass window. We have enough frivolous lawsuits in the USA over garbage like this. Don’t bring that bad mojo here.

Sounds like you weren’t even hurt. My advice; get over it and go to another place for your noodles. Also be more observant.

4 Likes

Then they should adjust their working hours.

Perhaps their opening hours are until 3 PM, but their last orders are at 2:45 PM, which is when they semi close the metal gate so new customers don’t come in.

That is pretty standard.

2 Likes

Does it say that on the front?

It’s just a standard practice here.

2 Likes

I think its common knowledge that you don’t walk into a restaurant ten minutes before closing time and expect to get served.

2 Likes

I know that. A lot of bad customer service is standard practise. Open means open in my books.

In my honest opinion the shop seems too generous. It really sounds like your fault.

They might get four free noodles, but not definitely not five.

1 Like

Welcome to Taiwan.

You’re still not going to win a lawsuit over it. As well as being a laughing stock in court, you’ll also lose a lot more money.

2 Likes