Legality of carrying stun guns in taiwan

i have considered it. as far as i know, it is perfectly legal to carry one. that and pepper spray.
i think stun guns may be the answer for foriegners in taiwan seeking to protect themselves from assault.
as far as i know, few people have tolerance to the voltage so they should be universally effective. i don’t know if taser guns (those that shoot a projectile on a wire) are available here or not. those would be even better because you don’t have to wait until the attacker is right up on you to use them.
thoughts anyone?

My first thought is “when did you ever see or hear of someone being assaulted in Taiwan?”

Ok i have moments where it wouldn’t hurt to give the next driver who tries to knock me of my bike a few volts but i’d never need it for personal attacks. This is the safest place i’ve ever been to. Just don’t go messing with the wrong people.

I’ve got one somewhere. Legally obtained as far as I know. I never take it with me anymore.

Is this really necessary?

Im probably not the right person to comment, but I have lived here for a few months now and been to a few different places… Never have I felt in danger, or intimidated at all…

Besides, dont these taser guns have the potential to kill people with dodgey hearts?

And what about the likelihood that the attacker will come back with a bunch of their betel nut chewing, whiskied-up thug mates carrying baseball bats etc…?

Have you been in a situation where you have needed a taser? Please tell…

My thoughts: theposter is THE LAST person who should be trusted with ANY sort of weapon.

Seriously. You’ve got anger-control issues. Put one of these things in your hands and you’ll end up in prison.

its ok, he aint here no more.

The more weapons you carry, the more vunerable you are…And the more likely you are to run into trouble. Don’t do it.

Ask Mordeth what happened when he pepper-sprayed someone last year… :wink:

Me. 2004 (?) Christmas holidays. Drunk ass fool pissed off on his scooter. Meets up with me at a light because I cut in front of him when pulling out. We start scrappin’ at the light when he gets off his bike and moves to hit me. I get away and he ends up following me to my house where he continues to damage my scooter.

I could have used a stun gun then, since I didn’t know BJJ at the time.

There are some fools out there in Taiwan :s

[quote=“MJB”]The more weapons you carry, the more vunerable you are…And the more likely you are to run into trouble. Don’t do it.
[/quote]

And also, you are more likely to use it if you are carrying.

it is true that carrying a weapon makes assualt more likely. but let me tell you this:

most of you don’t live in the section of taiwan that i do. these fuckers are dangerous. they’re sub human. THEY have anger issues.

your dog barks at someone, they try to come over and kick your dog.

you go into a hospital. look at them the the “wrong way” (ie i can stare at you you can’t stare back) and they’ll walk across the emergency room and beat you on the table you’re lying on.

don’t let them take your parking space and they scream and gather people.

they will even strike a woman.

taiwan is off the hook. appeasment only makes the agressor more confident.

by carrying something like this, you can gain some confindence and maybe never have to pull it out. locals are mostly bluff anyway. if you don’t cringe when they go into their antics but actually TAKE A STEP FORWARD, you have gained a bargaining position. it will take every ounce of your will to do this but try to cultivate it. it works.

if a local starts screaming at you, step forward.look him in the eye. i did this one time(by accident, don’t know what motivated me) and the guy stepped back and started being nice.but you’ll be a lot more confident knowing you’ve got some backup in your pocket. that’s why i’m suggesting carrying one. not to pull out and use, but to give you the confidence to step up and negotiate TWese style. it’s all a game.
i’m not trying to be a angry guy or anything like that. it’s just that i’ve seen some off the hook behaviour in these barefoot fuckers down here. i’m just suggesting using this device as a crutch to develop confidence. then leave it at home. your confidence will keep you out of trouble. on the other hand if you’re COCKY (big difference) you deserve a beating.

final point:
better living thru science. if Tesla was still living, he’d be packing voltage.

[quote=“theposter”]it is true that carrying a weapon makes assualt more likely. but let me tell you this:

most of you don’t live in the section of Taiwan that i do. these fuckers are dangerous. they’re sub human. THEY have anger issues.

taiwan is off the hook. appeasment only makes the agressor more confident.

i’m not trying to be a angry guy or anything like that. it’s just that i’ve seen some off the hook behaviour in these barefoot fuckers down here. [/quote]
wtf are you doing here? It’s a big world. Explore it.

There’s Taiwan, and then theres the Taiwan that the poster lives in. Live in fear and negativity and attract it as well.

The problem with carrying weapons is that you are liable to use them. What happens if you bring a knife to a gunfight?

Where exactly is this South Central (LA) Taiwan where you can’t walk down the street for fear of being attacked?

Go ahead and threaten some betelnut chewing yahoo with a stun gun. Then you really will have to watch your back because then he’ll have a reason to point you out to all his betel nut chewing yahoo friends. You=target.

i always believe i have something to learn about tolerance by living here. but i sometimes long for the right is right wrong is wrong way of thinking in the States, as hokey and “red state” as that may be. maybe the evangelicals are right. maybe it IS us against them. pagans versus the true believers. maybe. maybe america is the new jerusalem and all outside are darkness and gnashing of teeth( we worship the true God and created the highest living standard while they cannot copy it because they worship idols and are jealous).
i said maybe.

why is it that almost everything about chinese culture is opposite, not different, opposite from the bible? if Jesus fathered Christianity, what did Satan father? if God had a Son, did satan have one also? what was his work on this earth? is chinese culture satanic? i wonder about these things in my darkest most paranoid moments.

then i get out and go to chili’s and meet lots of nice people and forget the whole thing.

geez, poster, why don’t you just move somewhere better then? it’s not like you are tied to living anywhere , you are (probably) an adult who can take control of your life in more ways than one.

one of the good things about living in taiwan is that there are many places to practice humility and tolerance, surrounded by FWs as one is. walk away from the arseholes. who cares about their opinion? only another arsehole. put it below you (if you want to be arrogant) or behind you (if you want to be tolerant). and if you’re being chased by some dickhead intent on beating you up, don’t stop outside your own house, you fool. stop at the police station instead.

satanic? i think you may have to rethink your christian ideals of tolerance there. anyway, satan is a myth, just like gods are. surely your experience of living here should show you that religion is a very localised, culture-dependent phenomenon, with no universal application or grounding. otherwise you are going to go on legitimising religious wars such as we are now about to enter with the radical islamists. do you want to start a religion-based war with the chinese culture? ironic, as china is an officially atheist state, but i’m sure you’ll find many republicans ready to help you there.

Bzzzz…

woah woah monkey…
monkey… monkey…

dont you just wanna SHOCK the monkey…

[quote]but you’ll be a lot more confident knowing you’ve got some backup in your pocket. that’s why i’m suggesting carrying one. not to pull out and use, but to give you the confidence to step up and negotiate TWese style. it’s all a game.
i’m not trying to be a angry guy or anything like that. it’s just that i’ve seen some off the hook behaviour in these barefoot fuckers down here. i’m just suggesting using this device as a crutch to develop confidence. then leave it at home. your confidence will keep you out of trouble.[/quote]

You are SO wrong!

You need a stun gun to develop confidence? Or do you perhaps mean a false sense of security?

Remember, if you carry it, you must be willing to use it. Are you absolutely sure you want to do that? Think again. Please.

points all taken. it’s hard to live down here. i’ve had so many near miss accidents when i was obeying the traffic rules. i’ve seen these guys turn violent. last week in the emergency room there i was lying on the bed sick and this fucker was like… had that look in his eye like he would come over and hit me lying on my cot. at that point i said fuck these people. their behaviour is so off the hook. they have no sense of sanctity or dignity.
most taiwanese are not like that of course, but the problem is the bad people are like 40% of the population. think about it: in the states or wherever, how many women are involved in the sex industry (yes betel nut girls count)? it’ like maybe less than 1% of women who are doing the sex industry in the west,including table dancers. here? maybe 10% of all females are connected to the sex industry. i would venture a good 20% of the taiwan male population has been or should be in jail. then you have a lot of basically dishonest people or just selfish and don’t care.
couple of weeks ago, a car almost hit me. when i told the driver “hey you almost hit me turning in here” he said “i know”.
man fuck these people. 90,000 volts. if guns were legal i’d have one, and i NEVER thought about having one in the States!
you guys couldn’t take it down here. but my place is not the worst. i’ve heard the worst city in taiwan is Zhang Hwa.

So here’s the nub: you’re pissed off and want to carry a weapon because a guy looked at you funny in the hospital.
And you say THEY’RE the ones with anger management issues? :loco:

I love to watch coonass push peoples buttons…its truly funny.

theposter, I truly understand what you are saying. However at this point in time it is my opinion, and its just my opinion - not my decision, that a ‘stun gun’ may not be the right toy for you.

I think maybe a few weeks/month or so getting yourself into better physical condition, I think you’ve been a bit under the weather lately, is the first thing for you. Good food, some exercise, solid rest, some good nookie nookie - that should brighten your outlook immensely.

After this…then think about if you really need/want to carry a weapon with you and why.

You might have a different way of thinkin’ then.

i walked in, guy tries to stare me down. i looked at him like “what you want me to look at the floor cause you’re in the room?” i know that look. i know when they’re just about to jump. this guy would’ve jumped if i would’ve kept looking at him. these people, they have no values. they even bring bing lang into the emergency room.
totally backwards. another old man yelled at the nurse because he thought his wife’s IV should drip faster and she’d get well quicker. they’re beyond ignorant!!! they don’t even wear shoes some of them. i’d feel sorry for them if they weren’t so violent. but i have no pity on them. i’ve lived down here for 3 years and my pity is used up.
i said i’ve considered carrying a stun gun. i would only pull it if they jumped on me.

hell even going to Mcdonald’s here is fucked. always somebody trying to make you uncomfortable. why can’t they just leave people alone? because trumping a foriegner is the ultimate boost to their low self esteem.

some of you have no right to judge me. most of you are taller than me and bigger than me. locals won’t mess with you. i’m TW sized and that’s why they fuck with me.