Legality of carrying stun guns in taiwan

Buttercup,
Maybe I was a bit unclear in what was meant as you represent your country when in other countries. Sometimes I have a hard time getting my point across. I am not good with words. My apologies.

What I was trying to say, In Taiwan, many stereotypes have been formed from the actions of many expats. Many people here say that foreigners are all fat, lazy, drunks, likes to chase girls, eat hot dogs, we are all rich ect… These opinions were/are formed from actions of not everyone, but many of past and present.

If I yelled at a student, cussing and throwing a book at them, they would possibly form an opinion about Americans just as much (probably more so) then forming an opinion about me personally. They might avoid an American teacher for awhile due to one Americans action. I get ask a lot, “My ex-teacher is very humorous and entertaining, so you must be too since you are from America.” Emphasized For example of course.

When I am in America, it switches to:
I am white
I am a man
I am a Jew
I am a Russian
I am a Northerner
I am a westerner
I am a Portlander

Everywhere you go you are not only judged by who you are, but what and where you are or come from as well. In Taiwan specifically, you do represent your country in my opinion, especially if you are from a western country.

The above is from my experience here of course. I do not speak for others. If I come across as “my way is the right/only way” I apologize. It is just the way I write.

Theposter,
Word of warning. With the attitude you have, it would be for your own safety to move out of Taiwan. A person with your mindset and mouth will find trouble here; it is just a matter of situation and time. Even with your name calling and your emo attitude, I still do not want anyone to get hurt.

All Taiwanese know two English words, them being, “shit” and “fuck”. You mouth off these two words at the wrong time; you will be kissing the blunt end of a wooden bat or metal pipe and you won’t see it coming.

I may be a “pussy Taiwan sympathizer” yes, but it is not the Taiwanese I sympathize for.

No I understood, I just thought you were wrong.

It is not about agreeing or disagreeing for me. It is about expanding.

Wow, that’s inspiring. I think I’ll give all my money to charity, quit eating hamburgers and hotdogs, cut off my penis, become a homosexual, abstaine from alcohol, work harder and go on a diet. Then Taiwanese people will all love foriegeners and my life will mean something. I’ll pine away for the praries and a horse and wonder what happened to jungle girl. Does she look like Vincent Price now too or has time been kinder? Does she still blush like that? How’s her mom I wonder. Is stridency a diesease? Religious experience seems to be related to epilepsy it’s been discovered, perhaps stridency is similar, only a lot less interesting.

[quote=“bob”]
Wow, that’s inspiring. I think I’ll give all my money to charity, quit eating hamburgers and hotdogs, cut off my penis, become a homosexual, abstaine from alcohol, work harder and go on a diet. Then Taiwanese people will all love foriegeners and my life will mean something. I’ll pine away for the praries and a horse and wonder what happened to jungle girl. Does she look like Vincent Price now too or has time been kinder? Does she still blush like that? How’s her mom I wonder. Is stridency a diesease? Religious experience seems to be related to epilepsy it’s been discovered, perhaps stridency is similar, only a lot less interesting.[/quote]

I am not sure what exactly you are trying to say after qouting my text “out of text” so to speak. Could you please explain yourself in a little more detail so it is easier for me to understand your point?

theposter, buttercup and bob seem very negative and aggresive. My main point has yet to be discussed. Instead of using fallacies to derail my origanal point, why not discuss your views instead of taking my words out of text and making a mountain out of a mole hill.

If you disagree with my opinion, please tell me why so we can discuss it and expand each others views.

None of this is unique to Taiwan.People in every country have stereotypes, and unfortunately judge others by them.

Worryman wrote: “Word of warning. With the attitude you have, it would be for your own safety to move out of Taiwan. A person with your mindset and mouth will find trouble here; it is just a matter of situation and time.”

With that attitude, he’ll find trouble anywhere. I’m imagining this guy in London, NYC or Boston-- but not for long.

[quote=“worryman”]theposter, buttercup and bob seem very negative and aggresive. My main point has yet to be discussed. Instead of using fallacies to derail my origanal point, why not discuss your views instead of taking my words out of text and making a mountain out of a mole hill.

If you disagree with my opinion, please tell me why so we can discuss it and expand each others views.[/quote]

Nope, I’m the opposite of aggressive. Negative, no, I just don’t agree with your point of view. I don’t really do ‘discussion’, I’m afraid.

Sure. By the ignorant unwashed and the brain-dead. Why on earth should I give a fiddler’s fart about what such people may or may not think? They’re worthless drones.

Exactly. I’m not going to pretend to care what the untermensch think about ‘all English people’. It is not my concern.

Wow this has become one hell of an interesting conversation. Guess I’ll throw in my two cents worth. It’s not like it’ll really matter, but what the hey, I’ve got 5 minutes to kill.

theposter, no offence to you, but you seem to be giving off the “Typical American” vibe. Now, as I don’t actually know you, I don’t know what you’re actually like, but that’s the feeling I’m getting from this topic. Maybe that’s your problem when dealing with people here. If I read the topic correctly, you live in Junan, yes? (South Hsin Chu…or whatever the hell it is) If that’s so, man you have once seriously skewed (sp?) perception of life there. I have quite a few mates who live there, some American, who have never once had any of the problems you say you have there. I’ve been down there a fair bit myself and it’s exactly the same as up here in Xinzhuang. You’ve got your nice people and you’ve got your dicks. The same thing everywhere. And if you’re saying that 10% of the people are trying to run you off the road, well, really, that’s a really low percentage when compared to the people not running you off the road.

But here’s the kicker: People drive that way everywhere on the island! With the joke of a driving test here, what do you expect? They’re not doing it solely to you mate. They do it to everyone. I know it’s aggravating, I get my fair share of road rage too, but getting all bent out of shape and stereotyping all the people on the island isn’t going to do a damn thing except make your stay here that less enjoyable. Personally, I think you should work on either your ability to handle stress or your anger management. It’ll make your life that much happier.

As for carrying a stun gun, bad idea. All it takes is for the other guy to take it off you and your screwed. If it really comes down to a fight, just kick the bugger in balls and give 'em a shot to the throat. That’ll end it right quick. If you’re not a good fighter, fight dirty. And remember to run like hell afterwards.

[quote=“worryman”][quote=“bob”]
Wow, that’s inspiring. I think I’ll give all my money to charity, quit eating hamburgers and hotdogs, cut off my penis, become a homosexual, abstaine from alcohol, work harder and go on a diet. Then Taiwanese people will all love foriegeners and my life will mean something. I’ll pine away for the praries and a horse and wonder what happened to jungle girl. Does she look like Vincent Price now too or has time been kinder? Does she still blush like that? How’s her mom I wonder. Is stridency a diesease? Religious experience seems to be related to epilepsy it’s been discovered, perhaps stridency is similar, only a lot less interesting.[/quote]

I am not sure what exactly you are trying to say after qouting my text “out of text” so to speak. Could you please explain yourself in a little more detail so it is easier for me to understand your point?

theposter, buttercup and bob seem very negative and aggresive. My main point has yet to be discussed. Instead of using fallacies to derail my origanal point, why not discuss your views instead of taking my words out of text and making a mountain out of a mole hill.

If you disagree with my opinion, please tell me why so we can discuss it and expand each others views.[/quote]

I don’t disagree with your views entirely. I just find your delivery pedantic and condescending. English is a second or third language for you right? Perhaps you have struggled with adapting to a new culture and know how complicated the process is…

To clear up any confusion about the comprehension of your previous paragraph, English is my first language, Spanish is my second and Mandarin Chinese is my third.

My pandemic approach as you put it is perceived to those looking for a fight and pass of small out of text sections of my entire post and pass them off as trivial aspects to what my original point I tried to make actually was, but that’s nor here nor there.

Some more useless information about me is this is my third country I have lived in and have heartache and much love in my heart for the good and bad any culture that differs from my original that I have experienced in this life. I would not mention this under normal circumstances, but this is just a response to another rude comment you made towards me about my lack of culture (give or take a word).

Speaking of delivery, you have not only written to me in a condescending manner, but have also insulted me twice and have yet to discuss my actual point. It would be wise to practice what you preach before you expect others to do the same.

I have lingered around these forums for a few months and notice a select few of you tend to team up on random posters and fight amongst yourself very often. You will not find a fight in me. I am too old and too tired to let any words on any forum get the better of me. I was very reluctant to post at all. I can see now, that I was correct in my assumption.

I am here to share and learn. If any of you wish to actually talk about the actual points being made in this thread, I am more then willing to discuss them without any unnecessary mudslinging.

Unneccessary mudslinging? On forumosa.com? Say it ain’t so ~

[quote=“worryman”]To clear up any confusion about the comprehension of your previous paragraph, English is my first language, Spanish is my second and Mandarin Chinese is my third.
[/quote]

It wasn’t your lack of comprehension of my posts that led me to believe your first language wasn’t English.

Your pandemic approach is percived to those looking for a fight and pass off small out of text scetions and pass them off as trivial aspects to what your original point? I don’t even know what that means. Pandemic? Something medical? But taking small texts and passing them off as trivial aspects shouldn’t cause too much discomfort should it? Try some pandemic salve maybe.

There you go. I am sure of us here feel the same.

I wasn’t condescending towards you, I was casually sardonic. Anyway, this isn’t the UN. Nothing we say matters. Theposter is resistant to sane and tedious influence. Have another root-beer.

I think you mean that you were correct in your reluctance.

I[quote] am here to share and learn. If any of you wish to actually talk about the actual points being made in this thread, I am more then willing to discuss them without any unnecessary mudslinging.[/quote]

I forget now what this thread was about or what points have been made but if someone were to provide a brief summary I might be inclined to re-engage, or not, whatever, exhausted drama like exhaustion, good for sleep…

Worryman makes some good points. He doesn’t deserve the criticism he’s gotten. I am not the only person who has had to restrain himself when it comes to “The Poster”. Worryman at least makes his points in a polite, constructive manner. Myself, I can’t say what I genuinely feel about “The Poster”, becuase it would be foul, abusive, and get me banned for personal attacks. But it’s how most of us here on Forumosa really feel about this…fine older gentleman.

look guys. i could care less about what locals think. i just want them to leave me be. that means when i walk down the street, don’t turn your car into a place TRYING to hit me (and this guy did). don’t pass on the shoulder and nearly cause me to slam on my brakes and let the guy behind me run into me. don’t suddenly start screaming at me for no fucking reason or because you just don’t want to pay my salary. that’s all i ask.

and i ask that foriegners DO SOMETHING. anything. take movies on your cellphone and bring it to the traffic dept. carry protection so they’ll think twice about messing with foriegners. form a chapter of guardian angels.

or is just like what locals always say:

FORIEGNERS ARE JUST HERE TO MAKE MONEY! ???

[quote=“theposter”] i just want them to leave me be. that means when i walk down the street, don’t turn your car into a place TRYING to hit me (and this guy did). don’t pass on the shoulder and nearly cause me to slam on my brakes and let the guy behind me run into me. don’t suddenly start screaming at me for no fucking reason or because you just don’t want to pay my salary. that’s all i ask.
[/quote]

Not sure about the salary issue that sounds pretty crap, but the driving comments, that happens everywhere regardless of your skin colour. I get it in Taipei whilst wearing a full face helmet, they couldn’t tell what colour I am. It’s ignorance bought about by the appalling driving test. Ignorance isn’t just limited to this island it’s global, I’m sure in the backwaters and cities of the US you get the same crap as you do in the UK.

Relax and if you can’t relax leave.

But you’ll ignore the advice and continue posting in the hope that someone gives a crap about your petty issues. We don’t, we have the same issues we just choose to get on with life and not bitch about it.

To ensure that they will think twice you would have to display your protection clearly, which probably attracts even more trouble than you already have.
But all it takes is one guy that’s better armed than you and who doesn’t think but instead goes straight “for the kill” …

I think by “protection” he means condoms.