Let’s Talk About Bloomberg

Just what US national level politics needs…more New York mayors!

Bloody liberals. First they build cities with jobs and public transportation and then they’ll make us eat vegetables!

4 Likes

Is Rudy a liberal? Bloomberg was an independent iirc, and the most liberal part of him seemed to be his love of authoritarianism. But I’m not sure how much progressive juice he’s ingested in recent years. Chairman Deblasio is certainly a liberal (in the US political sense), and he’s done wonders with NYC.

Oh come on the oniy authoritarian laws Bloomberg made were great for NY: he made cigarettes unaffordable and banned super size sodas. And you couldnt smoke in bars.

All good ideas

I think the fact that Bloomberg is testing the waters at this stage is an indication that the Democrat bigwigs are worried that the current crop of candidates is weak. I think they’re right.

1 Like

then Warren better tighten up her war party. not doing enough rain dances

Wait, I thought Uncle Joe was the frontrunner…or did he fall off the stage and break a hip?

1 Like

I think this is due to him listening to aides and yes-men who are playing on his vanity to funnel some of his money into their pockets.

That and the guy literally has a television network behind him.

https://www.bloomberg.com/live/us

1 Like

Rather than focus on the early states, he is campaigning for votes deep in the 2020 calendar, in places where voters are less tuned in to the nominating process. Rather than worry about a budget, he has put no limit on the money he is prepared to spend. Rather than run in a Democratic primary by appealing to ideological die-hards or partisan flag bearers, he describes himself as “basically nonpartisan.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/mike-bloombergs-money-buys-him-a-very-different-kind-of-campaign-and-its-a-big-one/2019/12/07/0593ec7c-184a-11ea-a659-7d69641c6ff7_story.html

1 Like

For a fixed $150 fee, the Bloomberg campaign is pitching micro-influencers—someone who has from 1,000 to 100,000 followers, in industry parlance—to create original content “that tells us why Mike Bloomberg is the electable candidate who can rise above the fray, work across the aisle so ALL Americans feel heard & respected.”

“Are you sick of the chaos & infighting overshadowing the issues that matter most to us? Please express your thoughts verbally or for still image posts please overlay text about why you support Mike,” the campaign copy tells would-be Bloomberg stans under the heading “Content We’d Love From You,” asking influencers to “Show+Tell why Mike is the candidate who can change our country for the better, state why YOU think he’s a great candidate.”

So, tell me how much you love me for $150 bucks.
The Bribe Tribe!

Fox Weekend show just did this story while I was typing. They closed the segment with this song:

So, I went to YT to get the video. The add was Bernie Sanders begging me to add him as a friend. I sh8t you not. What a great day! :happyrunningaround:

1 Like

Don’t all public figures have other people handling their PR for them? This is pretty standard for anyone in any industry. Also the ‘bribe Tribe’ is a little dicey of a term when talking about Bloomberg, no?

He doesn’t have Trump’s gift for Twitter. I think that is a good thing in a president.

1 Like

It’s a good thing for everyone. :grandpa:

DNC changing the rules, giving him a place in the debate because they’re afraid Biden is weakening and they don’t want Sanders. Bernie’s very much not my favorite candidate either, but to allow some billionaire to just buy his way on stage can be seen as just a leeetle hypocritical.

4 Likes

Anyone richer than you is evil.

It’s called relative deprivation. It used to be called envy.

1 Like

Why not just put the presidency up for auction? Then you could have a contest between actual real billionaires.

I really hope this guy doesn’t become president.

2 Likes

Him and Biden would be the absolute worst for Taiwan.

2 Likes

He’s got some digital skilz, or he’s hired such people anyway.

Starting a business, running a business, and meeting a payroll all get my attention. Mini Mike may be twice the mandarin/authoritarian/a-hole as all the rest of the Dem field, but he makes an excellent point.

1 Like

It’s telling that they all seem to hate him more than they hate Sanders.