Let the Rude White Person on Subway Hysteria Begin

[quote=“mike029”][quote=“Charlie Jack”][quote=“mike029”]http://english.trtc.com.tw/ct.asp?xItem=1903349&ctNode=11752&mp=122032

Found this by accident just now.[/quote]

Is this what they’re talking about?

[/quote]

My favorite part: 原來他是外國人!! Of course!

Also, there appears to be nobody on the train, so what if the guy is taking up a few seats. I’ve seen plenty of old Taiwanese people take up another seat with their purse, and not let anyone sit there.

I think what’s interesting to note here is that in both cases (the ‘news’ on the MRT site and the tv ‘news’) is that they never refer to passengers as people. They always refer to them as ‘foreigners’. If anyone in a Western country ever referred to someone by their ethnic group or race, even for something as harmless as identifying the person in a crowd, all hell would break loose. I don’t understand why we as a community accept this treatment. We need to team up with the 外勞 to be a little bit more angry about this. :laughing:

I’m surprised this one didn’t make the news. Oh wait, that’s because it’s a Taiwanese person and not a crazy drunk big nose.

Edit: It seems as if in the last 10 seconds since I added this video it was removed…anyway it was a xiongdi on a train going towards zhongli swearing insanely at some guy while he smokes on the train. Then he calls his buddies to tell him to meet him at the train station to beat up the guy on the train, and describes him to them.[/quote]

Well, in all fairness, performing that particular trick might have been indeed a bit over the top!!!

They are described as angry because they are angry. People who are not able to control their emotion have anger management issues.

Or some foreigners simply don’t have any frustration.

If there’s stupid news story involving a foreigner, I laugh. If a kid points at me in the MRT and calls me a waiguoren, I don’t care. Taiwan is still backwards in many aspects, but time is the only solution. Meanwhile, no need to get worked up.

If we start to feel sorry for people who live in Taiwan, we should also start feeling sorry for those who have to deal with the “no foreigners allowed” signs in Japan, overt racism in South Korea, Manila’s crime rates, Thailand scams and rampant corruption, etc. I actually can’t even find a country better to live than Taiwan in Asia right now.

I prefer to describe it as rolling with the punches. Man. :unamused: I’m generally happy here. You have a problem with that, then its yours, not mine. I couldn’t give a shit.
God! When I read the emails and talk on the old skype with my siblings and hear about the utter, utter crap they deal with on a daily basis in the UK with their kids… and they live in nice areas, too. Shudder! What an ABSOLUTE shithole it is over there. I’m going in September, but only for two weeks, thank FUCK!

[quote=“mike029”][quote=“Charlie Jack”][quote=“mike029”]http://english.trtc.com.tw/ct.asp?xItem=1903349&ctNode=11752&mp=122032

Found this by accident just now.[/quote]

Is this what they’re talking about?

[/quote]

My favorite part: 原來他是外國人!! Of course!

Also, there appears to be nobody on the train, so what if the guy is taking up a few seats. I’ve seen plenty of old Taiwanese people take up another seat with their purse, and not let anyone sit there.

I think what’s interesting to note here is that in both cases (the ‘news’ on the MRT site and the tv ‘news’) is that they never refer to passengers as people. They always refer to them as ‘foreigners’. If anyone in a Western country ever referred to someone by their ethnic group or race, even for something as harmless as identifying the person in a crowd, all hell would break loose. I don’t understand why we as a community accept this treatment. We need to team up with the 外勞 to be a little bit more angry about this. :laughing:

I’m surprised this one didn’t make the news. Oh wait, that’s because it’s a Taiwanese person and not a crazy drunk big nose.

Edit: It seems as if in the last 10 seconds since I added this video it was removed…anyway it was a xiongdi on a train going towards zhongli swearing insanely at some guy while he smokes on the train. Then he calls his buddies to tell him to meet him at the train station to beat up the guy on the train, and describes him to them.[/quote]

Is this the same incident?

They are described as angry because they are angry. People who are not able to control their emotion have anger management issues.

Or some foreigners simply don’t have any frustration.
[/quote]

I like to think I react to things (in real life) pretty calmly and rationally. However, the second I say something like “This teacher isn’t qualified because she verbally berates students, we should report her” or “Why are they doing sewer construction on my street again, they’ve been here 3 times in the last month” or “What’s up with all the strays? Who do I speak to about this?” I get called 氣呼呼馬可 by my friends, and I get told “It’s just that way, so you should accept it” in every single situation. If that’s the attitude they as a society want to have about everything, then they don’t deserve their ‘democracy’.

I agree, complaining on Forumosa really doesn’t do any good except raise awareness about something in the foreign community here, but I’m a pretty outspoken person in real life, and I’m getting increasingly frustrated that there isn’t a way to make the changes that need to be made. (Before someone complains, I don’t mean to a Western or American standard, I mean to a common-sense standard)

One example is that teacher. For three years, the foreign student office at zhengda has sent reps over to this department to tell them to fire this teacher. She verbally harasses students, throws things at them, and is just crazy. She told me to ‘shut up’ in English when I asked her where her mailbox was, so I reported her, yet again. However, it doesn’t do any good! I ended up dropping the class out of sheer frustration and had some choice words for her department head. What bothered me the most about that situation was that the department head chuckled when she saw the professor’s name on my drop form…like “Haha, another foreigner drops the class…”. That’s the time when my Chinese becomes perfectly fluent. It seems like there’s no change though, the class is still going on, and has been for the past 3 years the same way. Some of my classmates have failed her class twice, and this is their third time in there. (BTW it’s the only Chinese class for foreign degree students)

These are the times I miss home. That professor would be fired the second a few students reported him/her.

Yeah, that is the video. Such crap news. :unamused: If I were google, I would sue the ass off Taiwanese news channels for using all these Youtube videos. BTW I’m sure it was only on the news because it involved a ‘外勞’ somehow.

On another note, I will no longer accept people calling me “waiguo pengyou”. Also, I will no longer say “wo shi waiguoren” on the phone, I will now say “zhongwen bu shi wo de muyu”. Change needs to start somewhere.

to pgdaddy: Taiwanese feel you are from a different planet from them because actually THEY are from a different planet from YOU :laughing: Taiwanese are kinda different from everyone else.

[quote=“mike029”]

On another note, I will no longer accept people calling me “waiguo pengyou”. Also, I will no longer say “wo shi waiguoren” on the phone, I will now say “zhongwen bu shi wo de muyu”. Change needs to start somewhere.[/quote]

What is the meaning of the phrases? (sorry i dont speak chinese)

[quote=“Askr”][quote=“mike029”]

On another note, I will no longer accept people calling me “waiguo pengyou”. Also, I will no longer say “wo shi waiguoren” on the phone, I will now say “zhongwen bu shi wo de muyu”. Change needs to start somewhere.[/quote]

What is the meaning of the phrases? (sorry I don’t speak chinese)[/quote]

“Waiguo pengyou” is “foreign friend(s).” I guess at times it literally means “foreign friend(s),” but at other times it may be a nice way to say “foreigner(s).”

“Wo shi waiguoren” is “I am [a] foreigner” [literally, “I am [an] outside country person”].

“Zhongwen bu shi wode muyu” is “Chinese is not my native language” [literally, “Chinese not is my mother speech”].

Posts on Taiwan vs other Asian countries has been split to a new thread: Taiwan vs The Rest of Asia for Living and Life in General

Mike, professors with teniorship are immovable. The woman can jump on the desk dressed as a chicken as her lesson and there is nothing anyone can do about it, not even the dean.

Video it and send it to the news.