Let's list all the places that won't accept ARC

Because only scummy foreigners break Taiwanese laws and are badly behaved sex machines stealing Taiwanese women from hard working and virtuous Taiwanese men. :rofl:

/s

3 Likes

HSR’s TExpress App on Android allows for old ARC number now. Has anyone one tried the new one in the last days?

For whatever reason this got postet here instead of here: Let's list all the places that won't accept ARC - #241 by Marco

I need to rant.

So for the past few years I’ve had a credit card, savings account, foreign currency account, investment account, supplemental health & life insurance, and vehicle insurance with Cathay Pacific. They’re always inundating me with offers.

So today while I was paying my credit card bill through their app I saw yet again another credit card offer. I thought, what the heck, and tried to apply

I couldn’t even make it through the second page because I’m a dirty foreigner.

I’m usually a glass half-full kind of guy. But being regarded as an afterthought gets on my nerves sometimes.

3 Likes

Applying for credit cards online is not possible for foreigners in Taiwan with any bank.
And even at the branch you might be refused to apply or your application denied.

1 Like

I didn’t realize that. I suppose there are logistical reasons for this that I can accept.

Got a PFO from Chiayi PD;

您好:您於本局局長信箱留言反映「交通違規檢舉系統無法使用居留證號進行檢舉案」事項,答覆如下:一、依現行法令規定,針對已提供辨識身分文件之外國人士不得拒絕其檢舉交通違規案件,惟線上交通違規檢舉系統目前僅開放連接本國人身分證號查核系統,無法連接外籍人士居留證號查詢系統以進行身分查核,故本局全球資訊網─網路報案─交通違規檢舉專區尚不能受理以居留證號所進行之檢舉案件。二、除線上檢舉方式外,您可以檢附居留證(身分證明文件)影本、姓名、住址、電話號碼及交通違規行為發生地點、日期、時間、違規事實內容(含影像、相片)等資料,於違規行為發生之日起7日內,以書面郵寄或親洽發生地警察單位,提出檢舉。三、感謝您對道路交通安全的關心,若仍有其他疑問或不明瞭之處,歡迎隨時來電洽詢,敬祝安康。四、承辦單位:嘉義縣警察局交通警察隊警員黃振銘,聯絡電話:(05)3620229。

You can send them a message of your own if you like!

1 Like

International + local banking restrictions and the cost and difficulty of compliance. Same reason we can’t have an online-only bank account. Tangentially related to why PayPal pulled out. Foreigners, at least some, can’t buy bitcoin either. When it comes to money-related matters, I can give Taiwan a pass. Those are highly regulated industries. For other countries, they may have banks better equipped to comply or local laws forcing them to, or other arrangements. I’m just glad they let us get credit cards. Some banks anyway.
BTW, a lot of those online deals let foreigners download an application and mail it in. I wouldn’t expect much if you don’t hand deliver it, though.

2 Likes

Still difficult.

I tried to get a Credit Card from City Bank around three years ago. In the end, my wife applied for one and I got the twin card. And even that was a total hassle.

Citi gave me a hassle too but that was many many years ago. They wanted me to put a large deposit with them for so many months. When I balked at that they said they would try and see what happens. Denied.
Reason was if you were in Taiwan less than 5 years they didn’t want you. Finally I had to get a manager override. Not sure how foreign friendly they are today

weird! I should have failed then.

My mobile provider (Chunghwa) rang me there today and said my bill failed to be paid for the month. I had it setup to automatically be paid.
I logged in to my mobile account to see what the issue was and it appears since I updated my bank account with the new ID number but not the mobile contract this caused a security check conflict that then fails the payment.
I’ll go today and update my mobile contract with the new ID and see then if I can setup auto-pay again.

5 Likes

Are you just loving these improvements the new number brings us?

5 Likes

Reference

1 Like

Even he won’t take ARC numbers? Damn…

They’ll be gone soon. Sold!

Hi, I was rejected by the Go Smart hourly car rental service simply for being a foreigner. I’ve attached a screenshot:

What is the best next step? I’ve contacted customer service. Who would I escalate the problem to if they refuse to cooperate.

Worth nothing similar services like iRent are open to foreigner applications.

1 Like

the company in general accepts foreigners (you can go and rent at a carplus office without a problem) just their app is crappy and doesnt accept foreigners.
nothing we can do really, just hope they fix it some day. I use irent instead.
i believe it is crappy engineering, and not discrimination.

1 Like

I think other people have been successful complaining about such issues to government agencies or the courts.

1 Like

The app doesnt accept foreigners or cant compute the foreigner ID configuration? One is oppressive, the other simply not professional.