Let's list all the places that won't accept ARC

Nightclubs aren’t usually looking at immigration status, but age.

I think it doesn’t count.

So what’s your point? If discrimination is common, it’s OK?

1 Like

The clubs that I have been to in Taiwan all scanned my ID card at entry, not to authenticate it but to keep a record of who entered the venue on their system, so when the police came they could easily check who is inside without shutting the venue down for thirty minutes. Sometimes, the police do like to come in and do that anyway though, to show they can and to keep people in order, as I was told by bouncers back then.

ARC isn’t even good enough for some. Now it’s passport for at least two I believe.

Which ones?

I’m not sure which one this is

but according to taiwannews this one

and I can personally tell you AI does as well. I posted about my experience with them in the other ‘nightclub’ thread.

I think that’s Luxy on account of the article showing a group of people in blackface called “The Luxy Boys”.

Google says they are permanently closed now? Anyways, I can tell you AI is very strict about the passport only rule.

Highlighting the principle of that which is necessary, is legal

Why is it necessary that legal residents go to a branch instead of being able to apply online?

Because banks and the govt want to know more about you. Why is it necessary for foreigners to take extra steps? Because the system deems it so.

I wouldn’t call this discrimination. If you say nightclubs don’t allow you in after showing a valid Id like ARC that I’d say is discrimination since they don’t have a defined need to know more about you.

For a credit card, they don’t need any more than my salary slips and copy of my ID. Any more requests are just unnecessary hassle. Its gatekeeping to try to dissuade applications.

Telecoms offer a one year online contract option for locals but if you’re a foreigner you must go in person and only a 2 year option

No. I have chunghwa post paid - only 1 year.

I’ll be checking them out shortly then, I haven’t asked them yet. I suspect it is because they used to be government owned

So far FET, Taiwan Mobile, and GT told me the 1 year contracts are only online and only for locals. Foreigners need to take the 2 year one. Taiwan mobile told me last month if a foreigner doesn’t agree to a 2 year contract, then no service. That’s right, they won’t allow month to month service there, it’s contract or get lost

FET said $499 a month unlimited is for 2 years only. I asked for one year, not possible, monthly becomes $649 a month for no contract.

I think you can write to these guys to get the official word on the issue:

1 Like

Yeah I got them involved a few years ago when one phone company wouldn’t let me sign up without having a local cosign with me. They came through.

In fact I often tell posters here to contact the FSC and NCC with their issues. But the biggest problem is they will help fix you up, but then the next foreigner goes to apply and it goes back to the same crappy rules. In other words it’s one time exception for you to shut you up.

It’d be nice to have some laws codified for these businesses forcing them to not discriminate.

1 Like

agree. These businesses shouldn’t. Problem with banks is that since they’re closely coupled with the govt. and 100s of laws, discrimination is allowed and sort of acceptable there… as is in most countries.

By the way, our $2900 deposit is stuck with them unless we cancel the contract. No way do we get it back even if we renew our contract and sign up for monthly auto-pay, nor do we get any interest on that amount.

Ofcourse, the banks could still have decent English language websites and apps, fully featured, for customers who have accounts with them.

If you’re talking about GT telecom , I negotiated a deal where at the end of the contract, they gave me back my deposit while keeping the service. But I’ve since moved on. My FET account is deposit free fortunately.

I’ve been seven times! I think they know me there.

1 Like

Neither new nor old formats work at the DMV (監理站) online account registration. Breaks down at step 3 here:

https://www.mvdis.gov.tw/m3-emv-mem/account#

2 Likes

Chiayi police whistle blower site does not accept old, or seemingly new, ARC numbers nor allow uploading of ID as a workaround.
嘉義縣警察局-交通違規檢舉專區 (cypd.gov.tw)

4 Likes