Let's Talk About Food

Yes , they are :tent: ing shit.

I just left LA last year after 20 years - there’s changes to the food, but not the food scene - the outlets, yes, but the scene is still awesome and ever evolving. The arrival of 35C was pretty awesome. :wink:

(On the bad side of it, and counter to M88’s view, the proliferation of chains is crazy and accelerating. When I moved to LA, seemed like maybe there was a PF Chang’s on 3rd st in SM and everything else was local, now everything is a freaking chain.

So where did you Travel to or live that you drink that? If thats your perception of US beer then I can understand where you’re coming from. Things change in the US very quickly. Im curious what cities you were in.

Factually lite beers are the most popular beers in the US

I said lite beers are shit not American beers are shit and I don’t care enough to be convinced otherwise. You guys are so freaking sensitive

1 Like

Let’s get some perspective…yea, the beer scene is great. But bud lite, bud, coors light and miller lite are still the top selling beers, by far.

2 Likes

One reason American drink more light beer is the number of fat people who try to eat light. Americans tend to eat more than reduce the portion size. Many people have 3 numbers when they say how heavy are they (My weight is less than 50 but some girls there are double that in the States). In California I had Taiwanese food, the sizes are huge compared to Taiwan or even an Aussie place.

It’s the same in South Africa. Massive plates of oily food. It’s always funny to watch the obese at the supermarkets, packing their trolleys with party-size bags of potato chips, huge slabs of chocolate, enough biscuits to feed an orphanage for ten years, tons of sausages and fatty meats, oh, and a case of Diet Coke.

1 Like

Why is it a bad comparison? It’s a legitimate complaint in my book. I had to go outside everyday to find something, anything decent to eat for breakfast . Now folks probably uber their food to the hotels…I don’t know.
I was staying in your typical suburban , outlaying towns…They weren’t food Meccas for sure. You can always drive to the next big town like 10k away to find a good spot I suppose.
The UK wasn’t that great either due to the proliferation of chains there . I share the bias against chain store food because it’s usually processed in advance and /or frozen . Not all chain stores are bad either of course.

No im just bored

other than uber high end hotels, good restaurants just don’t typically set up in hotels / hotels don’t set up good restaurants like in asia. i don’t know why, but it’s just generally not a thing - not better or worse, just different. and ye, sure, it’s a legit complaint, but it’s just apples and oranges in terms of how things are set up. it’d be like complaining about the lack of good street food in the u.s. it’s just different (although bring on the taco and bacon dog stands in l.a. yum!)

so even more likely to not have a good restaurant.

i’ve had a lot of nights in hotels (quick check… 742 marriott lifetime nights… i don’t even bother crediting to hilton (formerly my primary chain), ihg, hyatt, etc anymore, as i’ve consolidated my nights since marriott / spg merged, but easily have over 1k lifetime). in the u.s., i’ve had decent-good food in mid end hotels like sheraton, marriott, westin, w, etc, but nothing in what i would call a good restaurant. i wouldn’t even bother at the restaurant at that tier hotel except for convenience in the u.s. in asia though… bring it on.

the st. regis kauai and four seasons maui have pretty good restaurants though (well, had, the st. regis debranded back to the princeville iirc). ;D

I didn’t need a 'good restaurant ’ I needed food that was edible and not some horrible processed crap . I was staying in the local mid tier hotel chains. I wasn’t looking for an ‘eating experience’ beyond being able to enjoy eating breakfast. Even a continental breakfast or some salad or some fresh bread and decent coffee would have been just fine .

pretty much any mid level chain can set you up with a breakfast that’s not processed crap. what mid tier hotel chain were you at that can’t do that?

Marriott Courtyard

The courtyard brand standard has a limited menu restaurant which can do breakfast cooked to order, so you’re definitely not stuck with horrible processed crap. At min, on the nonprocessed side, they can hook you up with some eggs, toast, oatmeal, etc. The coffee is starbucks, whatever you think of that. (you learn a few things about the brand standards after 750 nights in the family).

Edit: don’t get the buffet, if there is one (I don’t think I’ve seen one at courtyard in a few years). Lower - mid end hotel buffet eggs are about the grossest things ever. :blah

Tastes like crap , awful stuff. Now I might have been unlucky for some reason. The other problem is I (did) stay at very good hotels when travelling in Asia.

Agree with this, the buffet at Courtyard in Taipei is much better than same hotel brand in the States. Asian hotel food , even the Western food is much better than in the States. P.S. Mr Jones say hi to Sir Michael Jagger for me.

3 Likes

Dunno. They gave us trans fats. Thats been pretty influential.

Most of the buffets I’ve had in Taipei beat the buffets in the States, maybe only a couple buffets in Vegas are comparable.

I think the many, many topics on food on Forumosa alone shows that this is in no way exclusive to Taiwan.

Everyone reacts strongly to criticisms about their country’s food.

1 Like

Some of the worst meals I’ve had were in France.

I think French produce is great, but their restaurants are hit or miss, like every country out there, and in Paris I feel like there are way more misses than hits if you aren’t willing to spend an obscene amount of money.

London on the other hand has more decent (note: not great) and affordable options, and Asian food in general is much better in London.

3 Likes