Lets talk about my boss

Let’s say I am close to the top of the tree. Let’s say for example that I am allowed to design the curriculum at one of the countries ‘leading’ schools. Lets say that.

Now lets look at my boss…
My boss has no experience as a teacher. Thats fine.
My boss has no experience as a manager. Thats fine.
My boss gives the students chocolate (which we can’t do) and lets them call home from her office line. THATS FINE.
My boss lets me get into trouble for her mistakes. THATS FINE!
My boss gives me her work to do and then gets paid for it. What the ####?
My boss starts meetings then walks off. Great.
My boss has told me that I can’t get promoted much higher cos I am white. “You are a potato. I can put my fork in the dirt and find another potato.”
My boss hasn’t got a friggin clue what I am teaching. What?
My boss won’t say good morning or good night to anyone. Why?
My boss TAKES MONEY for things that I DO. And then says it is FACE.
My boss got her job cos she is friends with the principal.

Anyone else work for a stupid bitch that will take the money but won’t do the work? FACE???

This is Taiwan.
You did not mention how much she smiles in your face as she is stabbing you in the back. That is normally the only time a Tw boss will smile; When they are making money for doing nothing.
Other than that this is very typical of all bosses in Taiwan.
This is Taiwan.

[quote=“Angie96”]This is Taiwan.
You did not mention how much she smiles in your face as she is stabbing you in the back. That is normally the only time a Tw boss will smile; When they are making money for doing nothing.
This is Taiwan.[/quote]

What do you mean ‘This is Taiwan.’ ??? Do you mean that these people are to be held in a different light? Do you mean that it is OK for these people to be like this because of the name of their country? Do you mean that these people should be viewed differently?

These people are people, and it is unacceptable. End of.

I think you may need to stop doing the work that she gets paid for. Or tell her first what your rates are for that type of work, and price it pretty high.

Or it’s time to get another job. Screw it, you’re getting fucked anyways.

People know when they are taking advantage of other people. In this case, you’re getting the short end of the stick. Get out of there man.

Look at it this way … Taiwanese and Chinese culture or very similar … not the same but similar. What your boss bitch is doing on a small scale is happening in China on larger scale … the chinese are inviting (smiling in the face) the Taiwanese in, to invest and bring money, high tech etc … to the country, meanwhile they are buying and developing wapons with this money and in turn will sooner or later start using these wapons on Taiwan (back stabbing) … nice culture isn’t it … :wink: don’t be sad, don’t feel offended happens all the time … they are smarter than us … :bravo:

Yep. Tell her, “This isn’t in my job description.” or “Isn’t this supposed to be your work?”.

There’s nothing worse than a person who constantly complains about their job but won’t do anything about it. Maybe she is doing it because you let her. Hope you didn’t take this too personally, but I have noticed this is a popular trend with teachers here.

This works in reverse as well. You can walk out the door and find another school.

My advice would be to mix up the clusterfudge by playing a few sly tricks of your own. Start ulgy, baseless rumors in a way that can’t be traced back to you. Cut every corner you can. Steal office supplies. make it look like you are doing tonnes of important work, but are actually just flying under the radar. Hatch cunning and devious plans to bring loss of face (again, with no apparent perpetrator) to yer boss. :smiling_imp:

That’s what Sir Humphrey would do… {from the classic series "Yes, Prime Minister}

Good luck whatever tactics you might employ. May the Force Be With You… :scooby:

That would have been it right there for me.

My previous employer, psychotic freak that he is, played outrageous mind games with his staff, seemingly for nothing more than his own amusement. I can’t recall what the spark was, though it well may have been when he walked into a meeting just prior to the CNY and announced there’d be no New Year bonuses and he was instead thinking of sacking the lot of us - anyway, whatever.

Since I had financial commitments and couldn’t just walk right then and there, I planned to move and move I eventually did. When I left I stiffed the bastard with a brutal email sent to all. It was satisfying, but the best bit was walking and knowing I’d no longer have to put up with that environment.

Putting up with crap it appears you are is absolutely soul destroying. It will manifest negatively in every area of your life no matter how hard you try to firewall it. Plan to get a new job. Your wife has to know and should be supportive, if not, she;s part of the problems requiring “attention.”

HG

Well said, HG. :notworthy:

[quote=“TomHill”][quote=“Angie96”]This is Taiwan.
This is Taiwan.[/quote]

What do you mean ‘This is Taiwan.’ ??? Do you mean that these people are to be held in a different light? Do you mean that it is OK for these people to be like this because of the name of their country? Do you mean that these people should be viewed differently?

These people are people, and it is unacceptable. End of.[/quote]

Well, what you are describing is someone who is doing INCREDIBLY positive things, at least according to Chinese culture. Lying, cheating, stealing, and screwing foreigners are POSITIVE things (this is the only place I’ve ever run across where “Cheating Your Customers” equals “Good Businessman.”

And people wonder why business goes elsewhere, lol (duh!)…errr…and teachers…

[quote=“Angie96”]This is Taiwan.
[/quote]

Locals like to use this phrase as an excuse for stupidity, cruelety, not using the brain, chaos, dirt, whatever.

I mean all countries have disadvantages, but IMO it is very strange to give the “this is X” phrase as an excuse to a foreigner when you are from X.

Never figured out if they think so low of their own place or if it is just another way of saying:

You don’t understand Taiwan culture.

Besides the 5000 years stuff that is the most bigot idiot drivel I ever heard somewhere on this planet.

I stopped my wife easily from using the “this is Taiwan” excuse. By using it myself whenever SHE complained about something.

:raspberry:

Rant over.

[quote=“bob_honest”][quote=“Angie96”]This is Taiwan.
[/quote]

Locals like to use this phrase as an excuse for stupidity, cruelety, not using the brain, chaos, dirt, whatever.

I mean all countries have disadvantages, but IMO it is very strange to give the “this is X” phrase as an excuse to a foreigner when you are from X.

Never figured out if they think so low of their own place or if it is just another way of saying:

You don’t understand Taiwan culture.

Besides the 5000 years stuff that is the most bigot idiot drivel I ever heard somewhere on this planet.

I stopped my wife easily from using the “this is Taiwan” excuse. By using it myself whenever SHE complained about something.

:raspberry:

Rant over.[/quote]

My wife (a local girl for those who don’t know) has even picked up on my favorite phrase “5,000 years of continuous culture and THIS is the best you can come up with?”

Seems like an awful lot of effort over a very long time for the net gains :laughing:.

[quote=“bob_honest”]
I stopped my wife easily from using the “this is Taiwan” excuse. By using it myself whenever SHE complained about something.[/quote]

Nice one. I use it myself whenever possible. Worked wonders on the wife, now wielding against in-laws and unruly Chinese co-teachers. They don’t like to hear that very much from the likes of us, rotten complainers that we are! :smiley:
Fair go. All’s square in love and war! :smiling_imp:

No, I think when Angie96 said, “This is Taiwan” it was another way of saying “When in Rome…”

In other words, giving you the go-ahead to reciprocate your boss’s loving treatment and appreciation of you with the same kind of behavior.

After all, this is Taiwan…

[quote=“ImaniOU”]No, I think when Angie96 said, “This is Taiwan” it was another way of saying “When in Rome…”

In other words, giving you the go-ahead to reciprocate your boss’s loving treatment and appreciation of you with the same kind of behavior.

After all, this is Taiwan…[/quote]

Wait, that would be a violation of the fundimental and cardinal social more here that the only buggering that is to occur is going to involve the members of the dominant cultural group doing the buggering. If the roles are reversed, you’ll hear all sortsa noise and howling about “Them uppity ferigners!!! :fume: We gotta deport 'em all!!!” (errr, much like the U.K. and the U.S. in the late 50s to…errmmm…well…in some place, now).

[quote=“TheGingerMan”][quote=“bob_honest”]
I stopped my wife easily from using the “this is Taiwan” excuse. By using it myself whenever SHE complained about something.[/quote]

Nice one. I use it myself whenever possible. Worked wonders on the wife, now wielding against in-laws and unruly Chinese co-teachers. They don’t like to hear that very much from the likes of us, rotten complainers that we are! :smiley:
Fair go. All’s square in love and war! :smiling_imp:[/quote]

My wife and I both use this phrase quite often, but not as an excuse. Its more of complete exasperation and realization that it has taken 5,000 years to screw things up to this point, and probably will take another 5,000 to undo it all…and in reality, there is absolutely NOTHING that we can do to change much. It isn’t the cocky “Well, this is Taiwan, so you’d better get used to it” its a crestfalen “Oh. Yeah. This is Taiwan and there is absolutely no hope for it in the future, foreign investors beware, English Teachers, Japan is nice, so is Eastern Europe…act accordingly…if you have a sexual fetish with abuse and frustration, then Taiwan is for you, otherwise think VERY VERY carefully about your options.”

Now, where did I put my barbed wire skivvies?

[quote=“TomHill”]Let’s say I am close to the top of the tree. Let’s say for example that I am allowed to design the curriculum at one of the countries ‘leading’ schools. Lets say that.

Now lets look at my boss…
My boss has no experience as a teacher. Thats fine.
My boss has no experience as a manager. Thats fine.
My boss gives the students chocolate (which we can’t do) and lets them call home from her office line. THATS FINE.
My boss lets me get into trouble for her mistakes. THATS FINE!
My boss gives me her work to do and then gets paid for it. What the ####?
My boss starts meetings then walks off. Great.
My boss has told me that I can’t get promoted much higher cos I am white. “You are a potato. I can put my fork in the dirt and find another potato.”
My boss hasn’t got a friggin clue what I am teaching. What?
My boss won’t say good morning or good night to anyone. Why?
My boss TAKES MONEY for things that I do. And then says it is FACE.
My boss got her job cos she is friends with the principal.

Anyone else work for a stupid bitch that will take the money but won’t do the work? FACE???[/quote]

So, why didn’t you jump in the car and come down here? You’re not a potato here.

Actually, I can think of another place near Taipei city that offers a future.

TomHill:
“Let’s say for example that I am allowed to design the curriculum at one of the countries ‘leading’ schools.”

Hmm…perhaps curriculum design is not your forte, Tom.
Maybe you should consider another, less exacting, line of work.

So can I. :wink: