Letterman Over the Line about Palin?

What I find disturbing is the double standard.

It’s perfectly OK for John McCain to joke “Why is Chelsea Clinton so ugly? Because Janet Reno is her father.” Or for Rush Limbaugh to say “But did you know there is a White House dog?” and then show a picture of Chelsea Clinton.

But it’s not OK for Letterman to tell the jokes he did.

He called Palin ‘slutty-looking’? Yes or no? You don’t speak about people that way.

Letterman is a leftist and only makes fun of right wingers. Was his joke over the line? Maybe…I don’t know…it was probably in bad taste. I think Palin is milking it for all it’s worth. And it is clear that most Americans agree that making a joke of a 14 yr. old girl getting knocked up while at a baseball game is in bad taste. But how can you not think it’s ironic that The President of The United States went to New York City, and Letterman had no jokes. Then, when the one term governor of one of the smallest states in the Union comes to New York, apparently it’s worthy of the top ten.

And anyone talking about Bill Clinton…I mean how old are you, it’s been almost a decade since he was in office. And BJ jokes…I don’t recall any BJ jokes about his underage daughter.

Let’s just be real here. If you’re a leftist expat, you hate Sarah Palin, and anyone can say anything about her or her family, and you’ll be ok with it. It would be interesting to see some of the sanctimonious expats here give us an example of a joke that IS over the line. All this self righteousness about “you did it too” is so facetious, it’s not even laughable. No one with the audience that David Letterman has ever made jokes about Chelsea Clinton getting knocked up when she was under age. And during the campaign, the Palin’s familly life was all over the MSM, but the only thing you ever heard about Barack Obama’s daughters was their names…and maybe their ages.

But like I said, if you disagree with her politics, everything is on the table…If you’re an expat leftist that is

[quote=“Big Fluffy Matthew”]Palin decided to be a politician, she’s fair game. Her daughter isn’t, unless she does something stupid.

And what’s with American politicians naming their daughters after places in England? Chelsea Clinton… Bristol Palin… Birmingham Obama…[/quote]
Cirencester Biden…
Weston-super-Mare McCain…

I think that in general family members of politicians should be spared, regardless of whether they’re good guys or Republicans, because they’re not the ones who chose to enter politics and subject themselves to public scrutiny.

[quote=“Chris”]What I find disturbing is the double standard.

It’s perfectly OK for John McCain to joke “Why is Chelsea Clinton so ugly? Because Janet Reno is her father.” Or for Rush Limbaugh to say “But did you know there is a White House dog?” and then show a picture of Chelsea Clinton.

But it’s not OK for Letterman to tell the jokes he did.[/quote]

If it was really so “disturbing” you would say it’s disgusting what Letterman said, and it’s disgusting what these Republicans said about Chelsea Clinton. But you don’t. Instead you say that since some people said some horrible things about a young woman, it’s ok for anyone else to say it. That’s BS man. I was too young to remember the Clinton years, so I’ll take your word that John McCain and Rush Limbaugh said those things. But then wouldn’t the grown up response be "don’t bring children into their parent’s politics???

You obviously didn’t watch him make fun of Bill Clinton night after night, week after week, month after month a decade ago.

And yes, most of the jokes were funny.

[quote=“Chris”][quote=“Big Fluffy Matthew”]Palin decided to be a politician, she’s fair game. Her daughter isn’t, unless she does something stupid.

And what’s with American politicians naming their daughters after places in England? Chelsea Clinton… Bristol Palin… Birmingham Obama…[/quote]
Cirencester Biden…
Weston-super-Mare McCain…[/quote]

It’s funny: ‘Chelsea’ is the chavviest stripper name on the planet and ‘Bristol’ is slang for tits.

Disagree with the ‘fair game’ comment; that’s one step down from shoe-throwing. Disgraceful, and indicative of an ingrained disrespect towards women. There’s plenty to say about Palin, but ‘slutty’? Whew.

Hey, the Republicans started it. They fired the first shots, back in the Clinton Administration. They made themselves fair game for retaliation. But once anyone directs barbs their way, they cry foul.

What sould they have done? Laugh. Or ignore it. Instead, they decided to escalate the situation by firing back at Letterman, something the Dems didn’t stoop to when they were joked about.

Wrong. Palin offers a goldmine of rich material for comedians (as did Clinton and Bush). Obama, on the other hand, isn’t particularly funny. There have been loads of funny Palin jokes, but everyone seems to have trouble coming up with good (ie., genuinely funny) jokes about Obama. It’s not a matter of left v. right. It’s a matter of Palin, and her family, being a lot funnier than Obama (I’m far from the first to state that; plenty have commented on it before). Heck, just her selection by McCain seemed like a ridiculous joke.

Wrong. Palin offers a goldmine of rich material for comedians (as did Clinton and Bush). Obama, on the other hand, isn’t particularly funny. There have been loads of funny Palin jokes, but everyone seems to have trouble coming up with good (ie., genuinely funny) jokes about Obama. It’s not a matter of left v. right. It’s a matter of Palin, and her family, being a lot funnier than Obama (I’m far from the first to state that; plenty have commented on it before). Heck, just her selection by McCain seemed like a ridiculous joke.[/quote]

BS!!! You just don’t think he’s funny because you like him, and you think she’s funny, because you don’t like her. I have seen LOTS of comedians make jokes about Barack Obama. Some of them are funny, some of them aren’t. You just won’t see them anywhere in the MSM.

DB: “whether you’re a Republican or a good guy…”

hee hee.

The double standards are more shocking than a joke with a kernel of truth (like all the best jokes have,of course. wouldn’t be funny if it wasn’t remotely plausible).

But that is one of the problems with American politics and commentators thereon: the whole family is game, which I’m sure is a creation of the TV age, or at least increasingly prevalent now. It is creeping into other cultures too.

BS!!! You just don’t think he’s funny because you like him, and you think she’s funny, because you don’t like her. I have seen LOTS of comedians make jokes about Barack Obama. Some of them are funny, some of them aren’t. You just won’t see them anywhere in the MSM.[/quote]

Wrong again. Find 3 jokes about Obama that are actually funny and I’ll find you 30 good ones about Palin. Do you doubt that some subjects (and people) might provide richer material for jokes than others? That would be pretty odd, wouldn’t it, if everything in the world was equally funny?

It’s not a leftie/rightie thing at all. I admitted there were plenty of good Clinton jokes. And Palin? Clearly latenight comedians would’ve been thrilled to see her elected VP as it would’ve provided a constant stream of good material – the moosehunting snowmobiling christian beauty queen with her bridge to nowhere and her one year of prior job experience, etc., being elected to the second highest office in the land. :roflmao:

[quote=“Byshguy”]Let’s just be real here. If you’re a leftist expat, you hate Sarah Palin, and anyone can say anything about her or her family, and you’ll be ok with it. It would be interesting to see some of the sanctimonious expats here give us an example of a joke that IS over the line. All this self righteousness about “you did it too” is so facetious, it’s not even laughable. No one with the audience that David Letterman has ever made jokes about Chelsea Clinton getting knocked up when she was under age. And during the campaign, the Palin’s familly life was all over the MSM, but the only thing you ever heard about Barack Obama’s daughters was their names…and maybe their ages.

But like I said, if you disagree with her politics, everything is on the table…If you’re an expat leftist that is[/quote]
You take that back! I’m a “leftist” ex-pat, and I think Sarah Palin is shallower than an empty bathtub, but I think Dave’s jokes were in poor taste. (Wait, didn’t he say they were in poor taste, too?)

First off the joke was bad, it dealt with a 14 year old girl, and letterman should apologise. Letterman also doesn’t have the gall to go after Obama as most comedians have said. Rahm’s brother works in Hollywood as a big player, mock Obama and watch your career go up in smoke.

How about Biden? This man is a walking brain fart and we hear nothing about him in the news.

Me personally I love: baracksteleprompter.blogspot.com/
McCain tore Obama apart with jokes at a white tie dinner in NY. Conservatives were wondering where that man was during the campaign. When reporters are saying Obama was above us all like God, you know you have a problem. You might also try daybydaycartoon.com/ for Obama related humor.

Nice straw man though MT

It’s too difficult and risky to take shots at Obama. He comes across as so serious and has such a polished image that there isn’t much there, and even if you did find something really good someone’s bound to find some kind of vague racist undertone and then you’re SOL. On the other hand you’ve got a former beauty queen who has a funny accent, a gillion $$ wardrobe, a sexually promiscuous teenage daughter, and is a lousy speaker, well she’s Slim Pickens.

[quote=“Dr. McCoy”][quote=“Chris”]He called Palin slutty-looking.

And Letterman sure told plenty of jokes about Bill Clinton and Monica…you didn’t hear Clinton whining to Letterman about it. Republicans: you can dish it out but you can’t take it.[/quote]

Yes he called Palin slutty-looking. He said A-rod knocked up Bristol.
He could have just said, “I’m sorry you were offended.” But he wants to make a big production out of it.[/quote]

Of course… it’s show business… it’s not like you need to have impeachment hearings over it.

I dislike that Sarah palin woman. She shouldnt be allowed out of Alaska.

yay,tommy joined the sexist pig bandwagon, now “la boucle est bouclee” :discodance: :discodance:

I just think shes kinda stupid (dummer then even tommy525). And she was a detriment to McCain.