Levi's quality

What can you say about the quality of jeans from Levi’s? Are they still worth the money?

I’m planning to buy a new set of jeans and I’m really interested with Levi’s because all my older brothers have good experience with their old Levi’s. However, the whole reddit community is saying that the quality of Levi’s now is very different and they don’t last more than 2 years. I would like to know if you have any bad experience from Levi’s you purchased here in Taiwan.

Yeah, quality is utter crap these days. Not even remotely comparable to what they were selling (say) 20 or 30 years ago. I buy Levis occasionally (in the UK, not in Taiwan) but there seems little difference now between their products and generic store brands. They do indeed fall to pieces within a couple of years.

Presumably they’ve discovered that it’s pointless producing high quality products when nobody else is even trying.

2 Likes

If you’re in a city in Taiwan, why not locate a branch of 2nd Street, a used clothing chain from Japan that is catching on here? Some of the branches I frequent have a nice large stock of used Levi’s. No guarantees you will find the right pair (jeans can be tricky) but if you do you may score gold with an older, tougher, and cheaper pair of pants.

Guy

1 Like

Maybe try going to Blue Beach Denim or Take5. They should have offerings from Japan, Europe, and the US, including selvedge denim.

Ive got a decent pair of jeans from Everlane. They last way longer than Levi’s and aren’t made with chemicals that give me massive headaches. Sizing and shipping are no fun with those though. Its stupid how short of a lifespan designer jeans have. Especially darker washes/black — those end up looking like crap after 2-3 washes.

Everlane? Where can I get those?

I don’t buy Levi’s in Taiwan because they’re horribly expensive and it isn’t better either. I heard the Japanese Levi is good quality as they have essentially inherited the same equipment used in the US. I’ve had good luck with off brands but it really is a crapshoot because many jeans in Taiwan are far too thin and crap quality.

Similar experience here. I really don’t think there’s any difference now between Levi’s and retailers of generic stuff. I suspect they’re all just made in the same factory in Shenzhen, and there’s some guy near the shipping area that sews different brand labels on them.

1 Like

I think only the premium and vintage are made in the US, visited one of the factory’s in Dongguan around 20 years ago, even then most of the orders where shipped to the states.

I got a pair of very good 501s two years ago this way. I was so happy after buying those because 501s were what I wore growing up. But I have since lost 10 kilos so I can’t really wear them anymore.

1 Like

I came to Taiwan with a pair of newish Levi’s bought in Canada (at a factory outlet store, not a mall), they’re doing fine.

I needed a second pair because of the weather here, got a pair of dirt cheap Chinese brand, they pilled a bit first wash, but have otherwise held up well

I wanted a black pair and got some random brand at Carrefour. They stretch, very thin: not what I’m used to with jeans but comfortable for the motorcycle and heat. So far, so good

The prices here for Levis in the Levis store are ridiculous. Buying random brands there is a risk the quality will be worse, but generally the value will be better.

1 Like

Levis are crap nowadays. If you’re in America Carhartt is trending the same way, (and Dickies and Wrangler and all the others to a greater or lesser degree), though a few of the Carhartt lines are still made the old way and durable. My family has mostly switched to Duluth Trading, though you have to pick and choose there as well and I don’t know if they’ll ship overseas. :man_shrugging:

3 Likes

My experience for - color doesn’t fade. Frays easy around the pockets.

All over the place, depending on what you want to spend. They make everything from <$20 Walmart specials to >$200 Japanese made selvedge jeans. The basic 501 shrink to fits are still reasonably priced and decent quality.

1 Like

Just to correct myself it looks as if all production has left the US.

The web site has a list if you specifically want US made, but I’m more interested in good quality and long lasting, not to bothered about the label or where they are manufactured (but would sooner avoid some places for political/ethical reasons).

I find both of these problems/qualities at NET, I like the thin stretchy ones on the motorcycle also. They are not expensive and there is a woman around the corner from me who can repair any holes I get in them for about 80nt.
I have some of the Net Jeans that were cheep and are over 5 years old, a bit stitched up in places, but they are comfy so I keep using.

as I was quickly looking into Levi’s I found this, so I think they will now be scratched off my list

4 Likes

Sad. They’re paying people 50p/hour and still sell their jeans at a hefty markup.

2 Likes

That look is tres chic. I don’t understand buying pre-stressed jeans that look like they’re a decade old and repaired several times, I prefer to earn that

I will even save jeans that are too old to repair, to use pieces as patches on the next pair to need it! Usually the knees and thighs are the first to wear through. Take the backs of an old pair of legs and double up the front!

2 Likes

I find Levi’s very heavy to wear. My Eddie Bauer skinny jeans feel great though.

Yes this is part of the battle isn’t it—to find not only the right fit for one’s body, but the right weight of fabric for one’s climate / environment / lifestyle. Never mind navigating the ethical mess of cotton production and Xinjiang and all we know about that place . . .

Guy

I say we all just go pantsless

only-way

1 Like

Nah that just leads to other complications. :upside_down_face:

Guy