Lien Chan's son shot during political rally

[quote=“headhonchoII”]I was watching ming shi yesterday, had very little on the shooting. They didn’t want to cover it becaues of the very well known ‘sympathy vote’ effect in Taiwan that helped get CSB in to his second term. You can see the way the media operates in Taiwan.[/quote]I watched min shi show president Ma arriving at the hospital…I don’t think they were ignoring it at all…

I was watching the great exchange between the reporters and the alleged perpetrartor on a “green” channel:

Rep: Did you do it because of his father?
Manunder a coat supposedly replies: No, it was a mistake.
Rep: So, did you hit the wrong guy?
Man : Yes, I was not aiming for him.
Rep:So, you made a mistake?
Man:Yes.
Rep: are you sorry?
Man: Yes.

sigh
Man: yes.
Rep:

[quote=“Icon”]I was watching the great exchange between the reporters and the alleged perpetrartor on a “green” channel:

Rep: Did you do it because of his father?
Manunder a coat supposedly replies: No, it was a mistake.
Rep: So, did you hit the wrong guy?
Man : Yes, I was not aiming for him.
Rep:So, you made a mistake?
Man:Yes.
Rep: are you sorry?
Man: Yes.

sigh
Man: yes.
Rep:[/quote]

I saw the same thing on 公視.

Yep, same “impromptu press conference”, so to speak. Lien Chan’s interview was also broadcasted like that, same on all channels. His wife looked ddistraught.

The only difference was one clip showing how premonitory Lien Jr. speech had been, talking about how he was very sick and got an oparation but thanked Hau’s support almost as a member of his family -or something along those lines.

Latest I’ve heard is that Lien Chan’s son is talking and says that (1) the “shooter” engaged him verbally before shooting him and that (2) he was the intended target.

It seemed like a suicide mission to me. :loco:

What’s even more strange is that the cops apparently found several dozens of bullets on his person. :ohreally:

What was the shooter’s exit strategy? none that I can think of, unless he was planning to fire into the crowd as well. :ponder:

[quote=“Fraulein_Schumann”]It seemed like a suicide mission to me. :loco:

What’s even more strange is that the cops apparently found several dozens of bullets on his person. :ohreally:

What was the shooter’s exit strategy? none that I can think of, unless he was planning to fire into the crowd as well. :ponder:[/quote]

Well I didn’t imagine the individual was going to be of at least average intelligence.

[quote=“sulavaca”][quote=“Fraulein_Schumann”]It seemed like a suicide mission to me. :loco:

What was the shooter’s exit strategy? none that I can think of, unless he was planning to fire into the crowd as well. :ponder:[/quote]

Well I didn’t imagine the individual was going to be of at least average intelligence.[/quote]

his assasination attempt was doomed from the beginning because he picked the wrong caliber… 9mm is just wrong for what he had in mind… major fail. :slight_smile:

Sean Lien 連勝文 by davidreid, on Flickr

Sean Lien is a big man (tall and well built). It is pretty hard to mistake him for somebody else.

I don’t want to fuel any conspiracy theories, but I think it is most likely that he was the shooter’s intended target.

[quote=“wix”]
Sean Lien 連勝文 by davidreid, on Flickr

Sean Lien is a big man (tall and well built). It is pretty hard to mistake him for somebody else.

I don’t want to fuel any conspiracy theories, but I think it is most likely that he was the shooter’s intended target.[/quote]

The photo you posted above shows those guys wearing “Clean Taipei” T-shirts.
Is the word "Clean" being used as a verb or adjective? :roflmao:

back to the “assasination” attempt… :slight_smile: I am amazed at the skills of Taiwanes surgeons. It’s reported that Lien Chan, Jr. is
already talking, eating and taking visitors. Not something that I would have expected so soon after being shot in the fact. :ponder:

[quote=“Fraulein_Schumann”]back to the “assasination” attempt… :slight_smile: I am amazed at the skills of Taiwanes surgeons. It’s reported that Lien Chan, Jr. is
already talking, eating and taking visitors. Not something that I would have expected so soon after being shot in the fact. :ponder:[/quote]

Taiwanese surgeons are actually quite impressive. Chen Shui-bian was up and about in no time after being shot in the stomach. In other countries, that wouldn’t be very likely even with minor surgery.

They are matched only by the road repair crews. Where else in the world would the Su-hua be up and running after a month with the kind of damage it sustained? :thumbsup:

They are matched only by the road repair crews. Where else in the world would the Su-hua be up and running after a month with the kind of damage it sustained? :thumbsup:[/quote]

fortunately, the Chinese(the commie side) military wasn’t as effective when it comes to repairs… :smiley:

imagine this scenario:

Chairman Mao: our country is broken, go fix it, men!
Anonymous commie soldier: broken, Chairman?
Chairman Mao: it broke into two pieces, mainland and Taiwan.
Anonymous commie soldier: oh… we’ll have it repaired by sunset.
Chairman Mao: sunset!!??? I am the sun, I do not set! Guard, take him out and execute him.

:roflmao:

[quote=“wix”]

I don’t want to fuel any conspiracy theories, but I think it is most likely that he was the shooter’s intended target.[/quote]

Stone cold sober and straight it’d be pretty hard to mistake him. However they did mention the shooter was on drugs or drunk, didn’t they? If that’s the case, then depending on what drugs or how drunk, it’d be easy to get it wrong.

They are matched only by the road repair crews. Where else in the world would the Su-hua be up and running after a month with the kind of damage it sustained? :thumbsup:[/quote]

fortunately, the Chinese(the commie side) military wasn’t as effective when it comes to repairs… :smiley:

imagine this scenario:

Chairman Mao: our country is broken, go fix it, men!
Anonymous commie soldier: broken, Chairman?
Chairman Mao: it broke into two pieces, mainland and Taiwan.
Anonymous commie soldier: oh… we’ll have it repaired by sunset.
Chairman Mao: sunset!!??? I am the sun, I do not set! Guard, take him out and execute him.

:roflmao:[/quote]

You must have spent a lot of time in China. You will quickly learn that Chairman Mao references here are about as au courant as vaudeville jokes. :2cents:

It depends on when you were watching. It is true that FTV ignored the story when the blue channels were covering it live beginning at around 9:00 p.m. But later in the night, they probably realized that this was something a news channel couldn’t ignore, so they began to report it, but they were careful not to associate it with the elections, treating it as an isolatd incident.

[quote=“Fraulein_Schumann”][quote=“sulavaca”][quote=“Fraulein_Schumann”]It seemed like a suicide mission to me. :loco:

Well I didn’t imagine the individual was going to be of at least average intelligence.[/quote]

his assasination attempt was doomed from the beginning because he picked the wrong caliber… 9mm is just wrong for what he had in mind… major fail. :slight_smile:[/quote]

Obviously didn’t take Political Assassination 101 in university…

[quote=“ludahai”][quote=“Fraulein_Schumann”][quote=“sulavaca”][quote=“Fraulein_Schumann”]It seemed like a suicide mission to me. :loco:

his assasination attempt was doomed from the beginning because he picked the wrong caliber… 9mm is just wrong for what he had in mind… major fail. :slight_smile:[/quote]

Obviously didn’t take Political Assassination 101 in university…[/quote]

9mm’s just piss people off. Now a .45 is a different story.

Some posters here seriously underestimate the killing power of a 9mm. Forunately, this assassination attempt was a ‘major fail’ not because of the weapon’s lack of caliber, but because the user is an idiot. :unamused:

Ever fired a 9mm before?

Edit: The local media report the weapon used was a P220 (SIG SAUER). I know there are a number of vets on this board, and I’m quite sure most, if not all, would attest to the killing power of this weapon.

I agree. I don’t know diddly about calibers of guns, but from the diagrams I saw the bullet went right through the center of his head. Seems fairly remarkable to me that it didn’t kill him and that he was apparently thinking and speaking logically very shortly thereafter. Seems to me he was very lucky to survive and apparently not suffer more debilitating damage from it.