Life on the MRT 2018

Happy new year all!

The MRT got so much better in 2017 with the airport MRT finally finishing. What’s in store for 2018? Hopefully the circular line will open as scheduled?

Hahaha! Serious? :thinking: It’s an improvement if you take a taxi to the airport MRT station to start your journey, otherwise it’s a joke.

1 Like

I like it. Much better than taking the bus from Taipei Main station. More consistent travel time.

1 Like

If you start from Taipei City Hall, it’ll take you almost an 1 hour and 45 minutes to get to the airport terminal 2 when you transfer in Sanzhong.

Why transfer at Sanchong? Take the blue line straight to Taipei Main and then the express train to the airport. There’s no express from Sanchong.

1 Like

I love the Airport MRT, I have used it almost a dozen times now and it’s definitely up there with the best airport rail connections in the world. Convenient, comfortable, a ride with nice views, and easy to get a seat. And it’s cheap, maybe not by Taipei MRT standards, but certainly compared to what equivalent airport rail transfers cost around the world.

The one downside is the distance from the MRT platforms at Taipei Main Station, as others have pointed out. Beimen is closer (or at least easier to get to). They do have signage which points to Beimen, but it might not be immediately obvious to tourists that it’s easier to transfer at Beimen, so this could be improved.

Lastly, it’s worth pointing out that the Gate of Taipei twin towers or a similar mega project will eventually be built right on top of the Airport MRT Taipei Main Station. This will add a lot more traffic to the area (which currently seems kind of empty and has a lot of space for retail expansion). Also, it will bring a huge new landmark to an existing transport hub… basically an urbanist’s wet dream.

I do hope the Circle Line Phase 1 opens on time this year, and that we see good progress on the Wanda Line, Ankeng Line, and Danhai LRT.

Other things to watch for… possible approval of the Minsheng Xizhi line, Circle Line Phase 2, or submission of feasibility study for the recently revised “Eastern Taipei North-South Rail Link” (that’s a mouthful).

That shiz will never happen…ever.

Yeah, I’m thinking the same thing.

City hall to taipei main is about 15 minutes. Transfer to airport MRT about 10 minutes. Wait time should be no longer than 15 minutes. Time to airport about 35 minutes.

Minimum travel time is 1 hour. Maximum is 1 hour 15 minutes.

I am doing the math on how long we are likely to live, and the resulting optimal cash amount for a bet on this.

I’ll get back to you.

1 Like

Starbucks has already set up a shop at B1 beside airport MRT.

There was no rail SCREECHING today between Dongmen and CKS Memorial. That’s always my clue to exit soon and almost missed it.

1 Like

I was surprised it took an hour from 101 to Danshui. Does anyone here do that on a daily commute? I

Those complaining about the transferring time at Taipei MRT should try Paris. You’d have to walk like 15 - 20 minutes for a simple connection between two metro lines at Chatelet-Les Halles, and the path is just unpleasant to say the least.

Except many taxi drivers don’t know how to get down to the kiss and ride. I had to show my cabbie the way once. It’s a little tricky to say the least.

Your joking right, it takes at least a 10 minute walk with heavy luggage to get there!

1 Like

That’s the whole point, why didn’t they make the transfer there, the orange line connects there, it’s a no-brainer.

I’ll also add the transfer from Airport Line at Hong Kong Station to Central. As well as Tsim Sha Tsui to East Tsim Sha Tsui. At least the escalators move at lightning speeds over in HK.

Same question on whether why they didn’t bring the Zhongli stop…all the way into Zhongli.

Why didn’t the High speed Rail their kaohsiung stop all the way into kaohsiung?

Why did they make Nanjing Fuxing green line to brown line transfer feel like a maze?

1 Like