Life on the MRT 2019

You would really be peeved if you saw me the one time I carried my bike on my back and took the escalator. You know how you’re supposed to yield to the elderly, strollers, etc. when you take the elevator? So I just kept letting these impaired people go before me, and before the elevator came back to my level, another trainload of impaired people showed up. I would’ve been there for hours if I insisted on taking the elevator and be courteous to the impaired.

Well, the issue is that if you slip up, bike and all, you´ll end up at least in the evening news on high rotation. At worst, in court when someone gets hurt. But parents that put the kit and kaboole on the escalator put the kid and everyone around them in danger. I have yet to see one do not start to panic as the angle gets steeper. I would bet you as an individual holding a single frame have a better hold of the situation but have you seen those strollers? Packed with drinks, fruits, shopping, etc. and one or tow kids, we are talking potential disaster yo!

How old is an ‘elderly’?

65, but in Taiwan, it’s anyone who can be as young as 50 but feels entitled as a senior.

2 Likes

Therefor ‘elderly’ doesn’t mean anything.

Also found this (map of approved mrt lines). It’s the LG line in the bottom left.

%E7%AC%AC2%E9%9A%8E%E6%AE%B5_%E8%8B%B1%E6%96%87(%E5%8D%97%E5%8C%97%E7%92%B0%E6%A0%B8%E5%AE%9A)

Regarding the Wanda Line map: what’s the precious thing in Juguang that necessitates yet another spur line?

Guy

1 Like

It seems that’s where the depot will be.

1 Like

You don’t need to always yield. It’s thoughtful if you do, but waiting in line is good enough. I often take the elevator because we have a toddler and go out with a stroller. But if someone with a bike or even nothing is ahead of us in line that’s fair. If someone tries to give you grief about not yielding when you’ve already waited in line, just ignore them.

1 Like

Many elevators have 2 queue lines, the “priority” and the “normal”, so for those elevators a “normal” commuter would be required to yield. As far as I’m aware all MRT elevators also have a sign to that effect even if the queue is not segregated.

3 Likes

Really?
I thought the words “優先搭乘” had a different meaning… :smirk:

i will never use this line.

usually in places where the elevator queue is long the station security will manage the traffic, giving priority a go and giving non priority a chance too.

Any medium sized luggage case can go on escalators but if you have several stuff stacked on top then I would take the elevator.

Zhongshao xinseng is particularly bad at any time of the day…

1 Like

Woah…with the yellow line going from Jiannan rd to Shilin I’ll be in a dilemma:

Yilan -> technology building -> brown line to Daan -> red line to Shilin
Yilan -> Nangang -> brown line to Jiannan rd -> yellow line to Shilin

Going to Nangang saves me 15/20 minutes compared to to technology building…it may be the beginning of a new era for me and my trips to Shilin/Tienmu.

You still have a decade or so to figure it out :slight_smile: Tbh I would like to know how they are going to build the part from Jiannan to Shilin since there is not so small mountain in the middle. Go through it or under it?

1 Like

What, do you like the Brown line?

Usually I only need to use it for really short transfers from technology building to Daan or Zhongxiao/Nanjing Fuxing. I don’t remember the last time I had to take it for a long ride from Nangang, so for me the brown line is ok.

Why wouldn’t you just take the Blue line from Nangang?

When I go to Nangang it’s usually to either work there or to get the HSR, so my Nangang-metro meta is not particularly strong…
Blue line = city hall, I can arrive/take bus from there, so I don’t think I’ve ever taken the blue line between city hall and Nangang