Life on the MRT 2020

So, who’s gonna ride the new line on Sunday?

1 Like

People who don’t own cars?

People like renao, new stuff and free stuff.

1 Like

It’s the new line free the first day?

The good thing about new lines is that they increase property values, but I wonder if they add any real economic value to the city. Are there any studies?

Taking the airport line to and from Taipei costs more than the gas does and only slightly less than a private chauffeur. I find that strange.

1 Like

Through testing period, free. 10 am to 4 pm.

I would like to know which private chauffeurs are doing this for ≈$160

Secondly, while I often use the bus to go to the airport, the MRT is especially easy for those who are unfamiliar with Taipei and the local language. Buses can be daunting for those.

Traffic is also reduced. As some will not take their cars. I dont want to park at the airport for crazy fees.

3 Likes

[quote=“Marco, post:27, topic:187125”]I
would like to know which private chauffeurs are doing this for ≈$160
[/quote]

Same. I read his statement and thought, “Hah, yeah, right, maybe on the back of a truck…”

1 Like

That’s for one person…

You go with your wife, gas is cheaper. With kids? A lot cheaper. Some people have families.

The chauffer is 400nt (7 or 800 after a certain time at night) with my credit card and parking is free (you do need to take a short shuttle).

The MRT offers no value proposition to most people.

1 Like

That wasn’t made apparent in your post.

Since the MRT is $160, one is going to assume that the private chauffeur is around that price, I’ll be generous by giving or taking 30%

No wifey or kids here. Too young to get married.

Some people do have families, again, your value proposition made no mention of the fact and was stated as if it was a universal fact.

And…what is the name of this chauffeur? Certainly if the service is good, perhaps you would want to share these details for the rest of us to support his business?

1 Like

I’ll ask my wife which credit card/ bank it is.
It’s $388 to the airport one way.

1 Like

Convenience is another thing, MRT needs lots of walking and dragging luggage, car/driver will pick you up.

DBS? Unlimited Visa or MasterCard? If you have one of those they throw all kinds of free stuff in your lap. Privilege of having money.

1 Like

purpose of the MRT is to reduce the amount of cars on the street. Taipei before MRT was a traffic nightmare, gridlocks everywhere and traffic jams that lasts forever. It also reduces pollution because it means less people driving.

If you think taking the taxi to work or having drivers who drives for you is better, great. For most working class this isn’t possible and with parking in Taipei costing around 40 an hour (and free scooter parking is being eliminated) not having to worry about your car or scooter is great.

Also with the all pass ticket, if you ride the public transportation a lot, it makes a lot of financial sense.

4 Likes

I’m talking about going to the airport taking the MRT.

Yea, the airport MRT does allow you to pre check your luggages so you don’t have to drag it through the system though. I think it’s also to expand the MRT to Taoyuan area.

1 Like

What airlines?

I think the credit card you mention is Cathay
you can see more info for this service in this link (In Chinese) https://www.cathaybk.com.tw/cathaybk/personal/credit-card/cards/rights/airport-parking/?dev=mobile

A few years ago for a business trip my boss drove his car to a special parking lot near Taoyuan airport, then they used a chauffeur to drive us to the Airport (very short ride , like less than 10 minutes)
here is the link of that company http://www.wufu.com.tw/index_op.htm

If I am going to pick up someone from the airport, taking the MRT is very convenient. With the new circular line, I have 2 options to go to Taoyuan airport and also one transfer to Songshan airport. It is also free of delays, I have been stuck in traffic both on a bus and private chauffeur to the airport. Last one had to get out of the highway and take the back roads and I made it by the hairs on the chin of a bald frog.

Schedule allowing - meaning not too early flight- since I travel by myself, going to the airport by MRT saves money and time for me. Getting around Taipei is easy peachy with bus and MRT on a single, discount, all you can eat card. Getting out of Taipei, I manage on taxi and careful planning, no biggie. In this city, convenience rules and MRT is convenient.

coulda woulda shoulda!

woo hoo the corrugated iron shit boxes in zhonghe just got even more prohibitively expensive!
what a g o o d thing!

2 Likes

Guys didn’t you know. Not just circle line, but the whole MRT system is useless. They should tear it all out and we just use private chauffeurs.

5 Likes