Life on the MRT 2020

Well speaking of Corona they make you wear masks, which is sweaty and miserable as FUCK. But they still won’t turn on the AC. Some buses are really hot especially when you’re in the direct sunlight by the windows, and I guess the driver isn’t feeling hot because the inside of the bus feels like a sauna sometimes.

Ximen station is really bad by the way. They must have a AC failure because inside the station it’s really hot. Didn’t used to be this way.

1 Like

I never really liked hanging around Ximen so I didn’t frequent that MRT station all that much, sadly. Is that the closest one to Dadaocheng though? I never went there, regret missing that out. Ah well, I’m sure I’ll be back one day. For now I feel like I should move on from my extended holiday, but it’s odd, I just found everything interesting about the place.

Especially whatever that barrier linked in the video is saying! Bugging me baaaaaad

The closest MRT to dadaocheng is actually Beimen. But the difference isn’t that big… like maybe an additional 100 meters…

But in this miserable weather walking 100 meters feels like walking 100 miles. You’d overuse the 1280 ticket just so you don’t need to walk that 100 meters in the heat.

And few buses. Great area, just inconvenient.

“請進站”/Qǐng jìn zhàn/Please enter the station?

It’s interesting that only the wide gates talk. The regular ones can only beep. Maybe they thought the visually impaired would only use the wide gates. :thinking:

That’s one. There’s another.

Is it in vovl1992’s video above?

Haven’t seen it yet.

I was hoping the gates say “Welcome to hell” or “please board the train to the other side”

Come on! This is one of the very best transit systems in the world. If this is your idea of “hell,” I have no idea what sort of “heaven” you envision.

Guy

1 Like

Maybe the train is a phantom train that takes departed souls to the other side?

Has anyone noticed a heightened security presence on the Taipei MRT today?

I rarely see security guards on trains, but today I’ve noticed one on every ride, 4 in total!

Did something happen and I missed it?

Lee Deng-hui’s funeral?

1 Like

Checking for masks.

2 Likes

Mask at the MRT are now mandatory

Passengers using Taipei’s mass rapid transit (MRT) system are required to wear masks for the duration of their trip with immediate effect, regardless of whether they can maintain social distancing,

If you don’t wear a mask when taking the MRT, then you can get a fine of NT$3,000 to NT$15,000 in accordance with Article 70, Paragraph 1, Paragraph 3 of the " Communicable Disease Control Act"

Source

2 Likes

it differs depending on the station and line. i used to get on the blue line at banqiao. the ac on the trains and at the station was always enough (unless outside wasn’t hot, thats another matter) the station on the orange line i moved to never has enough AC. although the train is fine. the new circular line is just a disaster.

Be glad that yellow line even has AC. None of the above ground stations in the red or brown line has it. Seems green line is best when it comes to AC strength. I don’t know the deal with orange line.

Many people have complained about the AC issue , which can feel almost 35C inside some MRT stations at the circular line

2 Likes

Got a totally off-topic question, heard this was the place for it. [moved here from Temp]

In Taipei when you blip your EasyCard you usually get a chime which sounds exactly like the notification chime in GTA4, which I think is awesome!

Sometimes though (maybe only late at night?) you get a voice saying something to you instead of the chime. Anyone knows what it says? Or have the voices in my head learnt Mandarin and telling me 你真沒用.

danke