Life on the MRT 2020

I haven’t personally inspected all of the stations obviously but I’m pretty sure when I looked at them 20yrs ago the platforms areas were there but for some of the stations they had build glass walls in order to stop people from accessing the ends whereas on the new stations the ends were open access. I just looked at ZhongShan J High and Liuzhangli on earth maps and both looked full width all the way down.

I guess you joined in hoping of free food?

2 Likes

No more.

You guess wrong!

Darn!

The sticker is gone!

I want to know why are they using brown line trains for the circular line? Are they not expecting high capacity for this?

They’re actually using Italian medium capacity trains from Ansaldo STS. They do use steel tyres but are also in some very tight areas as well as tight corners . They are sorta in between the VAL/Bombardier rubber tyre peoplemovers of the Brown line and the Kawasaki/Siemens trains of the other high capacity lines.

3 Likes

They’re not.

anyone tried it today? 'm thinking to have a go tomorrow.

I wanted to try it but they were only open from 10am-4pm. So it was too late.

Those are steel wheels, tyres are rubber. :wink:

1 Like

tried it today. theres a station 5 mins from my house so that part is nice. the train is nice, and the view is cool. above ground metros are just better.

the problem is the transfer. i transferred to the orange line at jing an and it was a 5-6 minute walk

Wow that’s a pretty fair jaunt. You don’t leave the fare control?

You do sometimes… like from Xinpu to the corresponding station you have to leave fare control. The way you do it is scan your card or token at a yellow turnstile, and you have 20 minutes to get to the other station.

Note this doesn’t really matter if you have the all pass ticket.

1 Like

i think banqiao is the same. that ones possibly a ten minute walk.

not so good for transferring. but good for costco.

The Circle Line transfers sound pretty scuffed, except Dapinglin which I know is really good (saw a video). Probably still better than not having the line at all, but the Banqiao transfer in particular seems really far. Do you have to leave fare control at Banqiao?

The Touqianzhuang transfer looks like it will be fine.

It looks like you do… I guess that’s why there’s a dash at the transfer points. But like I said if you’re using normal easy card (no month pass) you exit at the yellow turnstile and enter the circle line stations within 20 minutes.

just checked out the airport line transfer. take 10 minutes to get from banqiao to new taipei industrial station and the transfer is quick and easy.

the whole trip from banqiao had frosted window panels though, which i don’t see the point of. the zhonghe yonghe part had clear windows. to me it just takes away the coolest part about it being above ground: being able to see your surroundings.

another minor rant but i also wish they would make gates on both side of the tracks. i feel like they purposely design these things to be more inefficient, the above ground metros should have an advantage with less distance to cross from the street to the platform but it never seems to work out that way.