Life on the MRT 2021

Last year in Jan 2020, we were hoping for the circle line, which we got.

What’s in store for 2021?

2 Likes

Is that the one where you can get off the Blue Line at Xinpu and take it to Zhonghe? I rode that one a while back to visit with some people. That was cool.

For years, I was like, I’d like to go to Zhonghe, but it’s too much hassle. Now I don’t have an excuse, except that I’m pretty sure I wouldn’t be able to find the eateries that I went to once about 15 years ago. For all I know they might not even be there anymore. There was one place that had the kind of hummus that has ground sesame seed in it. And there was a place–maybe the same place, I don’t remember–that had beef curry (maybe Burmese) that tasted almost like Texas chili.

They also had a vegan curry that the teachers used to bring to my old cram school sometimes, and it had a kind of Mexican-like flavor that I liked. I think it also had chickpeas.

Anyway, I’m blithering, never mind. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Go forth and find out and bring us back good tidings

1 Like

Maybe I’ll do that. :slight_smile:

Are there any updates on the Taichung MRT? I really liked riding the green line, but it seems like it’s doomed to never truly open.

I don’t know anything firsthand, but this Taipei Times article seems to be saying that trial runs may begin in February:

Kayleigh Madjar and CNA, “DORTS to seek compensation for Taichung MRT,” December 23, 2020

I vaguely remember reading–either in the paper or on this board, or both–about the Taipei MRT’s early days, and if I remember correctly, it took a while to work the bugs out of it. That probably doesn’t make anybody feel better, but it seems like that could be a normal part of the process with these kinds of things.

Great! As long as it doesn’t take them another few years before actual passenger tests, I’m excited! Having a metro in Taichung really felt like it transformed the city, even though it’s only one line. So much cool stuff to see and find, but it’s tough when everything is a 40-minute scooter ride apart.

Yeah, I guess I was naïvely hoping that the 20 years they spent planning and building the Taichung Metro would have worked out most of the bugs :upside_down_face:

3 Likes

Delayed.

Life on the MRT is fun. They do stop people from scanning in if their mask is off though.