Life on the MRT 2022

Cool. But I will still skip my stop when I am half sleep.

4 Likes

Wow, just like the Tokyo metro.

I was on the Blue line today and didnā€™t see these newfangled things

I donā€™t like it.

2 Likes

Too bad. Theyā€™re here to stay. :laughing:

1 Like

I donā€™t like the LCD-ification of everything. Theyā€™re complex to build, expensive to build and fail far faster and easier than LED matrices.

The buses are doing this and half the time either the LCD is dead, the LCD has stuck/dead pixels or lines or sections, the OS failed to boot, the software failed to boot and the goddamn thing is blocking the marquee so I canā€™t see it.

On the LED matrix, theyā€™re made up of many individual parts, so when one fails, you donā€™t need to replace the whole assembly. Itā€™s simple and cheap to repair. This isnā€™t the case with LCD as the entire assembly needs to be replaced. This will cost everyone money so that a fancier, yet inferior tech can fail more often.

These things are a solution looking for a problem and are there just to impress. I am going to be writing a complaint.

3 Likes

I miss this.

3685950147_e09b207328

1 Like

Usually not a problem if that money goes to a few chosen pockets.

2 Likes

Theyā€™re manufactured locally, by Innolux.

I get that, theyā€™re still more complex. If any one part of an LCD fails, the entire assembly needs to be replaced and itā€™s not cheap! When LCDs can be replaced for less than $100 then Iā€™d say sureā€¦have at it.

An LED matrix is made of many replaceable sections and any one section can be repaired and replaced with amateur soldering tools for no more than $100, the price of a meal.

1 Like

Two old men got on the MRT yesterday. One was more sprightly than the other and hurried on to an empty chair, but put his hat on another empty seat to secure the spot for his slow hobbling friend.

It was sweet, but also annoying because I had my eye on the empty chair.

1 Like

Iā€™m always amazed by how hobbling seniors all of a sudden become sprightly whenever they see an empty seat. In Taiwan, buses and the MRT are the elixir of life.

6 Likes

If we put a blue chair at the end of every olympic event, weā€™d monopolise all of the golds in the olympics.

7 Likes

Iā€™m on the Blue line right now and cannot see them.

1 Like

Itā€™s only on the Pikachu train. Iā€™ve only boarded it once since it was introduced, and I ride it a lot. I think itā€™s still on trial runs before they overhaul the entire system.

Wanna help me complain?

1 Like

Yea I get that

However there may be another cost component. Notice where the ad normally goes is replaced by a screen too.

That means no cost to print ads, paying someone to put them in, or updating them, etc.

Now it can all be done at the push of a button.

When you add this all up this could save millions.

1 Like

Hardly. Print is cheap and reliable.

It isnā€™t just the cost of print, itā€™s also paying a group of people to put the new ad on, take off the old one, and disposing of the old ones too (in accordance to relevant environmental laws too).

So using LCD screens where new ads can be updated at the press of a button, it saves a lot of money.

3 Likes

Not to mention the flexibility and dynamic of modern ads