Life on the MRT 2022

New one is easier to read and has all info visible right away, no need to wait for it to cycle through the translation, etc

Until it breaks, or a section of pixels die, or the complex operating system fails to load the software or it hangs. And you know it’s going to be Android.

I love not knowing where I’m going. Adds spice to my life.

6 Likes

Ongoing testing of the Golden line. Yes, they painted the cars gold, apparently color selected by residents.

1 Like

Train # 1211 and 1212 have them already.

2 Likes

Real estate prices will be golden too

I will check later and take a pic if I see them.

Seems ripe for a modern retelling of the short story The Phantom Coach by Amelia Edwards

Add in the passengers holding paper in front of their faces as you pass, bus stops filled with parked cars, drivers shutting the doors on people as they enter and exit (see Wack thread), and we have enough ingredients to build the tension.

Then we could have the protagonist unable to tell the driver in advance where they want to get off, unable to understand the announcements sung out merrily in Chinese by the driver due to the broken system and straining and frantically trying to pattern match the characters on the route map inside the carriage with the characters on the bus stops.

1 Like

I was on train #1212 at 13:13. Do me one better.

4 Likes

Nothing

7.40 pm Blue Line
Where is the train number displayed ?

If not near the doors, try the bulkhead at either end of the carriage.

1 Like

No, that’s the carriage number. Like I said upthread, you need to find the Pikachu train. There’s an app you can download to find out where that train is on the line.

According to this video, there’s only one Pikachu train.

2 Likes

I was on the MRT today and I heard a loud sound and look around and

liar-liar-comedy

Reduced train frequency due to reduced numbers on the train, so keep that in mind if you’re on a tight schedule:

https://focustaiwan.tw/society/202205220018

4 Likes

I don’t get why they do that in response to what seems to be only a ~10% drop in passenger numbers and then remind people to

spread out when occupying train cars and to wear a face mask at all times.

They did the same thing last year.

Also:

TRTC said that average wait times during off-peak weekday hours (all times except for 7:00 a.m. to 9:00 a.m. and 5 p.m. to 7:30 p.m.) on the Tamsui-Xinyi (red), Bannan (blue), and Zhonghe-Xinlu (orange) lines would increase from 15 to 30 seconds.

How do they get an average wait time of 30 seconds when the trains are going to be one every 7-10 mins? :thinking:

2 Likes

:rant:

So more people per train car?! :wall:

5 Likes

Yeah exactly. Passenger numbers don’t even seem to have decreased that much (unless they were much higher before the first week of May):

According to TRTC statistics, Taipei’s MRT lines carried around 1.3 million commuters in the first week of May, which dropped to 1.2 million in the second week and 1.15 million by the third week.

Edit: Actually, I wonder if those numbers in the article are wrong? This page seems to suggest they might be daily values, not weekly values. I thought they seemed a little low…

3 Likes

One of my pet peeves with English writing. “It’ll increase from 15 to 30 seconds” is ambiguous: I assume they mean “Usually the average wait is four minutes, now it’ll be between 4:15 and 4:30.” But it could also mean the wait was 15 seconds, and now it’s 30 seconds.

As you point out, the latter is unlikely.

3 Likes

Reduced buses too. And seats at the front are restricted now. So we all have to stand closer to each other

5 Likes

Ah, maybe. Though I’d have a hard time reading that in that way without a “by”…

1 Like

Reduced numbers on the train? I suspect it’s reduced numbers of drivers who are still not infected.