Lindsey Lohan calls Obama "our first colored president"

I really don’t follow that kind of crappy pop culture, sorry. :idunno: It’s certainly not “news”.

[quote=“the chief”][quote=“Muzha Man”]The only thing surprising is that someone obviously not racist, and young to boot, would use a word that has been out of favor for decades. But then wasn’t Lohan raised in Africa with a bunch of wild animals?

Sad girl. Brilliant child actress…[/quote]

Pretty decent looking vagina, too…[/quote]

For a guy.

Guilty of racism. Death by crucifixion. Next!

Incidentally in future rather than wasting time asking me just nail up the celebrity in future, unless its Fancy Janet where I feel an interview will be required before I decide the case.

Look you imbeciles, the point here is simply that, in a regional context, certain terms resonate to a degree vastly outweighing their basic lexical identity.
In my lifetime, the term “colored” (indigenous spelling included at no extra charge), through popular association derived from its mode of use, became and remains, in the minds of many, pejorative, having been developed as a technically “allowable” alternative used, among others, as a tool in the application of Jim Crow practices.

These signs existed well into my lifetime.
I ain’t young, but I ain’t no Snadman either.
Plenty of folks still walking around who lived through this, and what do you think is the first thing that springs to their minds when they hear the term?
Yeah, you fucking A words can hurt, and yeah, you fucking A they matter.
I doubt very much LL is racist, I don’t really think she can stay sober long enough for that level of commitment, and, of course, she’s still quite young.
No matter how well developed her vagina appears to be.
But it’s a pretty stupid thing for her to say.

[quote=“the chief”]Look you imbeciles, the point here is simply that, in a regional context, certain terms resonate to a degree vastly outweighing their basic lexical identity.
In my lifetime, the term “colored” (indigenous spelling included at no extra charge), through popular association derived from its mode of use, became and remains, in the minds of many, pejorative, having been developed as a technically “allowable” alternative used, among others, as a tool in the application of Jim Crow practices.

These signs existed well into my lifetime.
I ain’t young, but I ain’t no Snadman either.
Plenty of folks still walking around who lived through this, and what do you think is the first thing that springs to their minds when they hear the term?
Yeah, you fucking A words can hurt, and yeah, you fucking A they matter.
I doubt very much LL is racist, I don’t really think she can stay sober long enough for that level of commitment, and, of course, she’s still quite young.
No matter how well developed her vagina appears to be.
But it’s a pretty stupid thing for her to say.[/quote]

QFT Chief.

and page 5 already? Christ, we must be bored.

death by nailing! I’ve got my nail and [hot] lead. double baggin.

Those bloody racist coloured people, how dare they not let white people into those places!

HG

Wow, they reserved the best service for coloured people. They must have been those progressive types. HGC, if only you weren’t in the British Far Eastern colony, we really need to have a few drinks together. :bravo:

Well gosh! Like Dragonbones is an ignoramus with the important stuff, I guess I’m one when it comes to North American culture – where I’m from, “coloured” is a term for West Indians, Pakistanis and Bengalis and it wasn’t considered particularly pejorative. The perjoratives were many and … um … colourful, sometimes, but “coloured” wasn’t one of them.
I need a textbook on nutty Americanisms.

[quote=“Huang Guang Chen”]Those bloody racist coloured people, how dare they not let white people into those places!

HG[/quote]

Cuz they don’t want to share the water fountain with you and get herpes, you dirty Aussies. filthy, disgusting animals, yous are. damn dirty apes.

Sandman, when your country doesn’t have a history of cross burnings and “lynching negros”, then I presume a very different attitude towards race relations and connotations of words like “coloured folks” or more accurately for americans, “colored”.

Not to say the brits aren’t a bunch of xenophobic pricks.

Well I NEVER did! That just makes you sound like a jumped-up bloody Johnny Foreigner with your strange ways and spicy food, trying to place yourself WAY above your station in life, so it does. Not that I care one way or another, just as long as you don’t go planning to marry MY daughter.
Honestly! They’re as bad as the bloody Irish, some of these people.

Huh? How did you know I have Amos on Ignore?

[quote=“Fortigurn”]

Wow, they reserved the best service for coloured people. They must have been those progressive types. HGC, if only you weren’t in the British Far Eastern colony, we really need to have a few drinks together. :bravo:[/quote]

Actually the first thing I thought of when I saw this one was to wonder if Angel’s Loans intentionally made their sign look like a giant penis…

Well I NEVER did! That just makes you sound like a jumped-up bloody Johnny Foreigner with your strange ways and spicy food, trying to place yourself WAY above your station in life, so it does. Not that I care one way or another, just as long as you don’t go planning to marry MY daughter.
Honestly! They’re as bad as the bloody Irish, some of these people.[/quote]

if i recall correctly, your daughter would be the kind of person also be rejected in the kind of society we are describing. I think they have a name for kids like that. At least they get to be the cool kids now.

Suddenly I am reminded of Michael Palin (or was it one of the other Monty Python guys) discovering at 30-something he is an adopted son of a Hindu family living in the London suburbs… which is something like Steve Martin being adopted by a Alabama black farmer family… or should I say “colored”.

I may have to change my avatar to “Johnny Foreigner”

HA!!! Beat you to it, less than 24 hours ago!
http://www.forumosa.com/taiwan/viewtopic.php?f=86&t=74359&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&start=100

The chief wrote: [quote]Look you imbeciles, blah blah blah [/quote]

Oh, how painful! A lecture on being sensitive about language use from someone who has trouble writing a post without a “fuck” or a “cunt.” :noway:
It would be like me telling forumosans not to drink and post. Now, go have a corona.

Oh, how painful! A lecture on being sensitive about language use from someone who has trouble writing a post without a “fuck” or a “cunt.” :noway:
It would be like me telling forumosans not to drink and post. Now, go have a corona.[/quote]

Man, you wouldn’t believe what I just wrote and then deleted.
Anyways, did you just tell me to go have a coronary?
That’s not very polite…

[quote]Anyways, did you just tell me to go have a coronary?
That’s not very polite…[/quote]

No, not a coronary, a corona. It’s a kind of beer popular with homosexuals. :laughing:

[quote=“almas john”][quote]Anyways, did you just tell me to go have a coronary?
That’s not very polite…[/quote]

No, not a coronary, a corona. It’s a kind of beer popular with homosexuals. :laughing:[/quote]

Now, see that’s not that funny because you know it and I don’t.
Try again.
Here, I know, do this.
Say “fagssaywhat?” really fast.
OK, go.

[quote=“Namahottie”][quote=“jotham”]

[quote]
It’s time we descendants of slaves brought to the United States let go of the term “African American” and go back to calling ourselves Black - with a capital B…[/quote][/quote] :bravo:

Yes indeed. I hope to see this one day. No more “b” but a big ole fat
B
. If Latinos and Hispanics can have capitalization, then until I’m just called American, I’ll take the B.[/quote]
Then some believe to be consistent, you’d have to say White, which has historical implications all on its own. Because we lowercase white, many do so with black for consistency.

[quote=“Chris”]
I remember when the term “African-American” was first advanced (it was around 1985). But I don’t remember anyone suggesting it should supplant the word “black”, and never encountered anyone, black or white or other, who said that “black” was now a disfavored word. The introduction of “African-American” did push the previously common term “Afro-American” into obscurity, though.[/quote]
According to American Heritage Book of English Usage:
bartleby.com/64/C006/011.html

[quote]The Oxford English Dictionary contains evidence of the use of black in reference to African peoples as early as 1400; no doubt it was used orally before then, and certainly it has been in continual use ever since. Though it never descended to the level of a racial epithet, black was often looked upon with disfavor by earlier generations of African Americans. This was especially true during the period following the Civil War, when emancipated slaves and their descendants rejected black and its semantic twin negro—the terms most closely associated with two and a half centuries of servitude—in favor of colored. During the first part of the 20th century colored, in turn, lost ground to a newly capitalized Negro, which remained as the preferred racial label until the social and political upheavals of the 1960s. 1
The Black Power movement that followed on the heels of the decades-long civil rights struggle called, among other things, for the adoption of black as a term of racial pride. The campaign for the acceptance of black is remarkable for the swiftness with which it accomplished its purpose as well as for its success in altering the status of a word that had often been regarded by both blacks and whites with suspicion. Today black, or Black, remains the preferred term at most if not all levels of discourse. While African American has gained wide acceptance, especially in the media, recent polls in the black community continue to show a strong preference for black.[/quote]
So the media employs African American; in other words, overzealously race-conscious white liberals.

And I’m also drawing on my own experience. When I was a dumb college student, I was a telephone surveyor for a state governmental health department. One year, we screened telephone numbers by asking if there were any “African Americans” living at the residence. I remember we weren’t supposed to employ the term “black.” One day, after asking the question, a woman was confused and talked to others in the house about it, after which she asked, “Do you mean black?” I remember being surprised that she was, in my mind, degrading herself. (I recognized she was black from her speech.) I replied, “uh…well…er…yeah, I guess so.” She anwered emphatically, “yeah, we’re black.”
At any rate, it was ingrained in me that African American was the correct term to the point that I was recently surprised to learn that Black was considered the better term.