Lines from movies that have entered the language - "Houston, we have a problem."

My advanced students know most of the useful idioms and expressions so now I’m moving on to some interesting pop-culture stuff like movies and lyrics that most westerners are familiar with.

Of course, I tell my students that most of these quotations are used in conversation for humorous effect.

Can you add to this list?

Houston, we have a problem.
Hasta la vista, baby! [dated?]
I’ll be back!
Beam me up, Scottie. [ok that was never actually said, but…]
Heeeere’s Johnny!
Go ahead - make my day.
We’re not in Kansas anymore, Toto.

“I’m gonna make him an offer he can’t refuse.” The Godfather

Any of the Forrest Gump lines…“Life is like a box of choclates…”

Pulp Fiction lines?

I always liked this one and used it after I saw my g/f at the time crying when she heard it in “Jerry McGuire” - “You complete me”

OR…

“SHOW ME THE MONEY!”

More cheeze from the same dialogue: “You had me at hello…”

Ads and TV shows are allowed.
Here’s more:

Close but no cigar.
Are you talking to me? I said, Are you …talking to me? [the right head movement is crucial here!]
Wake up and smell the coffee.

“Trust me, you can make it.”

“Where’s the beef?”

“Makin’ copies!”

“That’s the ticket.”

“Don’t have a cow, man.”

“Cowabunga!”

“Read my lips.”

Um, you’re getting real life mixed up with the movies. That’s a real quote.

You can’t handle the truth - very effective when explaining your wherabouts and drunken manner from last night :sunglasses:

What we’ve got here is a failure to communicate - probably more effective in Banchiao Foreign Offairs than P3 class :wink:

“Where’s the beef?” isn’t a movie quote. It’s from an early '80s Wendy’s commercial. I heard that old lady died a few years back.

Houston we hae a problem is in a movie and it’s entered the language.
As I mentioned before, I’d like to hear about ad slogans, and lines from TV shows too.

Pedants - go away. :imp:

Now you’re getting it confused with Scotty from Star Trek. Sorry, couldn’t resist. :wink:
Which reminds me: “The injins winna tak it, Cap’n!”

“That is highly illogical.”
“He’s dead, Jim.”
“Beam me up, Scotty!”

“Its life Jim – but not as we know it.” Sorry, were we still talking about the private women’s forum?

“I’ve fallen, and I can’t get up!”

“We make money the old fashioned way. We earn it.”

Richardm - those are nice quotes from movies (?) but does practically EVERYONE familiar with western popular culture know them? Not really, right?
I really really hope this doesn’t mutate into a favourite movie quotes thread. If it does I hope the mods can split the thread.

We need more like, I’ll be back, Beam me up…unless all the main ones have been thought of.

Mission:Impossible i suppose is used pretty often. (I know it’s a movie title, not a line. Ooo, and I hope no one actually said that in real life - better check for typos too. :wink: )

“I’ve fallen, and I can’t get up!” This was from a commercial for a home security system for old people. It might be a bit dated now but used to be quite the catch phrase.

“We make money the old fashioned way. We earn it.” From a commercial for an investment firm. It made the actor pretty famous. He went on to have a pretty good career. Was in Rollerblade and Ghost Story.

“Trust me, you can make it.” I was just kidding. This is from Taiwan TV.

“Where’s the beef?” From a Hamburger commercial. Later used as a campaign slogan from a US presidential campaign. Walter Mondale, I think.

“Makin’ copies!” From Saturday Night Live. Catch phrase.

“That’s the ticket.” From Saturday Night Live. Catch phrase.

“Don’t have a cow, man.” Bart Simpson.

“Cowabunga!” Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles.

“Read my lips.” George Bush. No new taxes.

These might be a little dated but they were all popular in the States at one time or another. Here’s another one, “Whassup!” From some commercial. I was lucky enough to have been in Taiwan and missed that one.

“What’s up, Doc?”

“May the force be with you.”

“I’m ready for my close up Mr. DeMille.”

“That’s all folks.”

“Play it again, Sam.” (Though again, never actually said in the movie.)

“Steeeeeeeeeeeeelllllllaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!”

“Hi.”

“Here’s looking at you kid”

“I could tell you, but then I’d have to kill you”

“D’oh”

“What, you think I’m funny? Is that it? I’m a clown? Do I amuse you?” (OK that one was just my circle of friends).

“the usual suspects” (form Casablanca not The Usual Suspects)

Shit, I think there must be hundreds of these.

Brian

“Say hello to my little friend” (Scarface)

“make him an offer he can’t refuse” (The Godfather)

“top of the world, ma!”
and
“Whaddaya want - a medal?”
(White Heat)

“feeling lucky, punk?” (Dirty Harry)

“go ahead. make my day.” (one of those '80s Dirty Harry sequels)

“you just made my personal shit-list” (Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Garcia)

“badges? we don’t need no steenkin’ badges!” (The Treasure of Sierra Madre)