List of potentially tainted products from China (lists only)

[quote=“Toasty”]

…except for the agricultural pesticides in the produce. :wink:[/quote]

Um. you do ALWAYS wash your vegetables and fruit very well, don’t you? including a little dishwashing detergent to remove the wax-soluble pesticide residues. Especially in Taiwan where much of the produce available is fertilised with human and pig poo?

and at the market, don’t ever select fruit or veg where you can see a noticeable white residue, like dried milk, on the surface, or in nooks and crannies of the peel.

And considering meat is bad for you according to some, the water is full of crap, the seafood has loads of heavy metals in it and tofu makes guys sterile, I guess we’ll have to live on thin air, but then again, considering the pollution in some part of the world… :runaway:
I try to avoid stuff with milk powder, but you gotta eat, so I eat the stuff I deem decent enough to be called food.
It’s actually really sad, mankind has now gotten to a stage were it’s not even safe to eat the food we produce, because we’ve either polluted it so bad that it’s dangerous to eat, or we’ve got people mixing in dangerous additives or chemicals into it so they can make more money out of it… :fatchance:
It’s time to move back home and start a reindeer farm, but I guess not even that is safe thanks to all that crap that leaked out of Chernobyl some 22 years ago, which means half of the food back there is still a bit radioactive :stuck_out_tongue:

Your wife is from China ?

[quote]People can feel relieved for the toxic vegetable.[/quote]I’m all for compassion for animals, but fellow feeling with a vegetable is taking things a bit far. Anyway, it should be ashamed of itself, not relieved.

I guess you’ve never heard a carrot scream when you pull it out of the ground then?
Have compassion for the vegetables, eat more meat :smiling_imp:

I am putting this up, but I really doubt they were octopus balls in the first place: :noway:

[quote]KAOHSIUNG (Taiwan News)- Frozen octopus balls imported from Fujien Province, China by a Japanese trade company may contain melamine. According to the Health Bureau of Kaohsiung County, 1.1 parts per million of melamine was found in octopus balls.

Another trade company in Kaohsiung County also imported frozen octopus balls from a factory in Shandong Province, China. The Health Bureau went for inspection and found out the 7377 kg imported frozen octopus balls were sold to dealers in Kaohsiung City, then to Taichung.

[/quote]
http://www.taiwannews.com.tw/etn/news_content.php?id=762600&lang=eng_news&cate_img=logo_taiwan&cate_rss=TAIWAN_eng

Just in case you were thinking about buying some tear gas, don’t get that from China either. :astonished:

nzherald.co.nz/world/news/ar … d=10537541

[quote]4:00AM Wednesday Oct 15, 2008

Thai riot police used a cheap Chinese tear gas that contained an explosive powerful enough to rip craters in the ground to disperse crowds of anti-Government protesters last week, an investigator said.[/quote]

Yeah, yeah, are we sure they didn’t accidentally send some of their ‘special’ tear gas?

FOR SHAME, Thailand! ‘We only meant to make their eyes water, honest guv!’

Hmm, wonder how the Chinese are going to respond to this, since the protestors claim the police were throwing home made bombs!

HG

off topic, assume those crackers were supposed to be shipped to TAIWAN, not Thailand :eh:
(to be used in future Green party demonstrations)

on-topic again:

Are the M&M’s now safe again as they can be bought all over TW ?

Add cream puffs, snack-type algae, io tiao, fried Hong Kong style bread -puolo mien bao-, smoked squid, Hong Kong dim sum meat buns, etc… to list of “suspected items” thanks to:

[quote]The Cabinet-level Department of Health (DOH) urged the downstream food
processors and retailers
to stop using leavening agent suspected of being contaminated with melamine
as officials are still tracking down about 200 metric tons of the food additive imported from China.
The DOH imposed a ban on the import of a leavening agent from China on Friday, forcing Sesoda Corp., a major importer of the products, to take emergency measures of importing food-grade ammonium bicarbonate to supply its customers.

Sesoda said it has notified its customers about the DOH decision last week.

Sesoda claimed that it imported a shipment of 469 metric tons of
ammonium bicarbonate (NH4HCO3) which is a legal food additive used to lighten and soften bread,
cookies, biscuits, cream puffs and Chinese-style fried bread sticks (a popular food item to eat with soybean milk as breakfast).

Some food retailers also tend to use the product in sea weed and octopus to make them more chewy.

[/quote]
http://www.chinapost.com.tw/taiwan/national/national-news/2008/10/20/179418/Tainted-ingredient.htm

Things are getting really serious now.

Anne Summers yanks chocolate willy spread

:astonished: Oh well, para gustos, los colores.

Regarding the ban on ammonium bicarbonate:

[quote]Health minister Yeh Chin-chuan yesterday reiterated a ban on a China-imported melamine-tainted leavening agent that is commonly used in the making of “you tiao,” or Chinese-style fried crullers.

Yeh made the remarks while promoting the use of baking soda to make the fried bread stick instead of the banned food additive, ammonium bicarbonate.

He said the government has already placed an urgent order of five tons of melamine-free ammonium bicarbonate from Japan, but it will not arrive for seven days.

“Until the Japanese imports arrive, youtiao makers, please, don’t use ammonium bicarbonate,” Yeh said at a Taipei breakfast shop where he ate one that was made with baking soda.

He said there’s been a tight supply of ammonium bicarbonate from Japan after other countries also banned China imports of the substance.

While most bakeries maintain they never use ammonium bicarbonate, such breakfast eateries have been hit hard, as the leavening agent has been a main ingredient in youtiao.

Yeh treated passersby to samples of the snack to promote the use of baking soda, but the general response after the tasting was that it was much less crispy than ones made with ammonium bicarbonate.

The United Evening News cited a youtiao vendor as saying that baking soda will never be able to replace ammonium bicarbonate, which they will continue to use after the ban is lifted.

[/quote]

Ah, yes, crispy enough… I always thought yiotiao hada vague plastic feel to it…

http://www.chinapost.com.tw/taiwan/national/national-news/2008/10/23/179935/DOH%E2%80%99s-Yeh.htm

Eggs, now.

Meat too, it has been suggested.

OK it is like 2 months later, is the food safe yet?

I am addicted to these strawberry cream teddy bear cookies from Malaysia. A spin off of the Japanese brand, but I like them more because they are a bit less sweet. The code on the bottom is 471 so apparently they are legal but I worry they are made with that fucked up milk powder.

What the hell was China thinking with melamine anyways?? I mean its poison, why the hell would you put it in food? I mean eventually people are going to get sick, and then you would think the people who did it would be punished 10 fold.

Dunno, but I don’t trust the system anymore, so I’m not buying anything with milk powder in it, and am generally avoiding processed foods. It’s healthier to make your own from scratch anyway. (I made some sesame crackers with olive oil recently, for instance, so the oil was a healthy form, and they were lower in salt than normal but still tasty.)

Was in a Chinatown store back in North America today and saw a pretty funny poster for Mr. Brown drinks. It read: Quality check done in Australia and America. No “taint” in product. :laughing: :laughing: Why are they searching for taints in milk coffee? I’d almost rather find melamine in a drink than a taint. :laughing:

Tit for tat:

http://www.shanghaidaily.com/article/?id=389598

Reuter goes a bit further with the tone:

[quote](Refiles to make clear in paragraph 1 that 9.62 tonnes refers to Taiwan only)

BEIJING, Feb 2 (Reuters) - China blocked 9.62 tonnes of bacteria-tainted milk powder and formula from Taiwan from entering the domestic market, the country’s quality supervision watchdog and state media said on Monday.

The General Administration of Quality Supervision, Inspection and Quarantine (AQSIQ) recalled and destroyed milk powder made by Wei-Chuan Foods Corp (1201.TW) and imported from Taiwan between August and November, after discovering a bacteria that can cause meningitis or brain inflammation, the AQSIQ said on its website.

[/quote]
reuters.com/article/rbssCons … 4020090202

More:

[quote]BEIJING, Feb. 2 (Xinhua) – Taiwan’s Wei Chuan infant milk powder containing fatal bacteria has been successfully recalled and no powder entered the domestic market, Li Yuanping, spokesman of the General Administration of Quality Supervision, Inspection and Quarantine (AQSIQ) said Monday.

The administration said on its Website that the infant milk powder failed quality tests when 9.62 tonnes of milk powder imported from Taiwan between August to November was found to contain a deadly bacteria. 

According to the administration, 9.62 tonnes of milk powder contained enterobacter sakazakii, a bacteria which can cause meningitis, inflammation of brain's protective membranes, developmental problems and even death. 

Li said media and customers were concerned about food safety,[b] but some media sources lacked detailed information about the disposal of the tainted products. [/b]

[/quote]
http://news.xinhuanet.com/english/2009-02/02/content_10752579.htm

Local factory replies:

[quote]TAIPEI (Taiwan News) – Food group Wei Chuan Corporation said Monday batches of milk powder allegedly tainted by bacteria according to media reports in China were destroyed before they reached consumers.
The 9.62 tons of powder never circulated on the Chinese market, the Taipei-based company said.

The Beijing Business Today newspaper reported that tests showed on October 17 that three types of Wei Chuan powdered infant formula contained excessive amounts of the Enterobacter sakazakii bacteria. The bacteria can cause infections with a high fatality rate of 40 to 80 percent in infants.

Wei Chuan said tests conducted before the product left one of its Taiwan factories found signs of the bacteria, but a second round of tests showed the powder complying to food standards. As China was being hit by the scare over melamine-tainted dairy products at the time, import tests were more stringent and customs only took the original test into account, ordering the immediate destruction of the product before it entered China from Hong Kong, the company said.

No problems were found with more than 10,000 boxes of milk powder exported from Taiwan after the original incident, Wei Chuan said. The company also has a plant in Hangzhou, China, turning out similar products, but the labels, packaging, and prices are different, the company said.

[/quote]
http://www.taiwannews.com.tw/etn/news_content.php?id=853934&lang=eng_news&cate_img=49.jpg&cate_rss=news_Society_TAIWAN