List of potentially tainted products from China (lists only)

Thank you so much, I really appreciate the information.
And I guess to be safe it’s better to completely stay away from those Koala cookies for a while now :neutral: .

looks like Cadbury’s chocolate products for sale on the Taiwan market may need to be added to the list…

BBC - Melamine found in Cadbury goods…

Hah! Quite funny, calling it a “small factory”, supplying what, a billion people here, about 100 million outside the country… Humbug!

[quote]Another official reached through the company’s London office said there was no way the contaminated chocolate could find its way into other countries because the Chinese factory only supplies Australia, Taiwan, Nauru, Hong Kong and Christmas Island.

“That factory in Beijing only exports to those markets. It’s only a small factory,” said the official. He said Chinese production makes up only 0.5 percent of Cadbury’s global sales, and the recalled items are “less than that because it’s only chocolate.”

The recalled products included Cadbury Dark Chocette, Cadbury Eclairs, Cadbury Dairy Milk Chocolate, Cadbury Dairy Milk Hazelnut Chocolate, Cadbury Dairy Milk Cookies Chocolate and Cadbury Hazelnut Praline Chocolate.

In the United States, Hershey’s spokesman Kirk Saville said the Cadbury distributor “has never purchased milk, including powdered milk, from China,” and that he was “positive” no Hershey’s suppliers receive milk products from the country.

[/quote]
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080929/ap_on_re_as/as_china_tainted_milk

Talking about Hershey, aside from the so-called fact -according to Taiwanese press- that the US finds it “acceptable” to have 2 ppm of melanine, my Hershey Snacksters have NO place of origin. They say “distributed” but no “made in…”. :ponder: :saywhat:

Now Heinz in the US is involved:

[quote] H.J. Heinz Co. will stop using milk from China in its products, the company announced Monday.

The decision comes amid concerns about melamine contamination.

“In order to reassure consumers about the safety of Heinz products, Heinz has made the strategic decision to switch our milk supply in China and Hong Kong to non-Chinese sources,” the company said in a statement. ”We are testing all dairy ingredients for melamine prior to use in our factories.”

Last week, Heinz recalled 270 cases of baby cereal in Hong Kong after testing found trace levels of melamine.

About 1.6 mg/kg of melamine were found in the batch of Heinz Intelligence Many Many Vegetable Cereal, the company said, compared to 2,500 mg/kg found in tainted milk powder products that have sickened thousands of infants and killed four in China.

Heinz (NYSE:HNZ) said all of its other products tested free of any melamine. The recall was a precautionary move, according to a company statement.

“The melamine levels detected in the one Heinz Hong Kong product are 25 times lower than internationally accepted safety levels,” according to a statement released by Heinz Monday. “Babies on average eat half a 200 g pack per day. At the levels found, a baby would have to consume more than 12 packs every day to exceed safety levels. Heinz is confident that this one affected product is safe to consume.”
[/quote]
AFP
http://pittsburgh.bizjournals.com/pittsburgh/stories/2008/09/29/daily18.html?surround=lfn&brthrs=1
How big is the problem? Does it affect us?

More fun at Unilever

[quote]Anglo-Dutch food group Unilever announced Tuesday it was recalling brands of Lipton milk tea powder in Hong Kong and Macau after testing showed them tainted with melamine which is normally used to make plastics.
[/quote]
AFP

Seems internatioonal companies are as likely to be hit…

TO BE CONFIRMED:

Pooky (Pookie?) (Poky?) cookies -you know - those long sticks with Chocolate wrapped around it sold in red packing in almost all CVS stores .

Packs were shown on TVBS news at noon time - and I understood from my local colleagues that maybe other products from Kraft-Nabisco might be taineted as well…

Yup, confirmed:

Pocky: [quote]Hong Kong authorities also said they had found unacceptably high levels of melamine in Pocky Men’s coffee cream coated biscuit stick, produced by Japan’s Ezaki Glico Co. Ltd. [/quote]

Also Chinese-made biscuit sticks, walnut and coconut cakes in HK:[quote] Two samples of coconut and walnut cakes manufactured by Tian Le Yuan Foods Co. Ltd. in southern China[/quote]

And China-made Koala cookies in the Netherlands,
Lipton-brand 3-in-1 milk tea powder in Hong Kong and Macau,

And Ritz crackers and rice crackers:

Lipton:

and lactoferrin in NZ:

[quote]In New Zealand, the Tatua Cooperative Dairy Co. on Monday, Sept. 29, stopped exports of the dairy protein lactoferrin, used mainly in baby formula, after tests showed it contained traces of melamine.

Tatua said a Chinese customer told its agent two weeks ago that melamine had been detected in its lactoferrin powder. Further tests in both China and New Zealand on Sept. 22 and 23 confirmed low-level contamination, chief executive Paul McGilvary said Monday.

Food safety officials are now investigating whether lactoferrin manufactured by Westland Milk products on South Island and Australia’s Victoria state dairy company, Tatura, which uses the same process, are being contaminated with melamine by the manufacturing process it uses.[/quote]

Though I wonder… is this the real stuff or are they fakes?

Cheese sandwich crackers ( 奶概多 Regimen House 起士三明治 brand from Malaysia (Golden Kestrel Co.)) pulled from Costco shelves in Taiwan.

Thanks Icon!

Furthermore, better keep an eye out for Ritz Cheese filled crackers -seems no one in Taiwan has assumed responsibility to have them tested… :ohreally:

Well, Nabisco Ritz cracker cheese sandwiches WERE found to be contaminated in South Korea, as I’ve noted in the updates at the top of the list in post #1 of this thread, so yes, I’d be suspicious of all such products until they’re actively cleared. Bread made without milk powder, like French bread, ciabatta at Costco, etc. should be safe, so I recommend picking up some of that and some nice real cheese to replace that processed crap for a while.

White Rabbit candy.

That ciabatta is imported from the US.

Breaking news: Taiwan finds melamine in Nestle milk powders

EDIT: [quote]The Department of Health [color=#FF0040]banned six Nestle milk powders [/color]yesterday after tests found traces of the toxic chemical melamine. The four powders sold under the Klim brand and two from Nestle itself were made in the Chinese province of Heilongjiang by Shuangcheng Nestle. Tests showed small amounts of melamine, ranging from 0.06 to 0.854 parts per million, the health department said.[/quote]

Note that the UHT Klim (liquid) milk sold for example at Costco in small cardboard cartons is made in part from such milk powders, so I am adding it to my suspect list as well.

Sorry if some of these things have been mentioned already:

Products Recalled - Melanine Contaminated

BAIRONG
GRAPE CREAM CRACKERS
DOVE
H/NUT ALM & RAISIN CHOC
DOVE
HAZELNUT CHOC
DOVE
MILK CHOCOLATE
Dreyers Choc Cake Ice Cream 887ml

Dreyers Choc Cake Ice Cream 887ml

Dreyers Cookie & Cream Ice Cream 887ml

Dreyers Cookie & Cream Ice Cream 887ml

Dreyers Mint Chip Ice Cream 887ml

Dreyers Mint Chip Ice Cream 887ml

Dreyers Rocky Road Ice Cream 887ml

Dreyers Rocky Road Ice Cream 887ml

Dreyers Strawberry Ice Cream 887ml

Dreyers Strawberry Ice Cream 887ml

Dreyers Toast Almond Ice Cream 887ml

Dreyers Toast Almond Ice Cream 887ml

Dreyers Vanilla Ice Cream 887ml

Dreyers Vanilla Ice Cream 887ml

DUTCH LADY
STER M LF BANANA
DUTCH LADY
STER MK LF PLAIN
DUTCH LADY
STER MK LF CHOC
DUTCH LADY
STER MK LF SBERRY
DUTCH LADY
STER M LF HNYDEW
DUTCH LADY
STER M LF HNYDEW
DUTCH LADY
STER MILK PLAIN
DUTCH LADY
STER MK LF CHOC
DUTCH LADY
STER MK LF SBERRY
DUTCH LADY
STER M LF BANANA
FIRST CHOICE
CALCIUM SESAME CRACKERS
FIRST CHOICE
CALCIUM SALTINE CRACKERS
FIRST CHOICE
CALCIUM S ONION CRACKERS
FIRST CHOICE
CALCIUM SEAWEED CRACKERS
GINBIS
PARTY ANIMAL BUTTER BISC
GINBIS
PARTY ANIMAL SEAWEED BIS
GINBIS
PARTY ANIMAL CNUT
GINBIS
ANIMAL BISCUIT
Koala Cocoa Biscuit 40g

Koala Cocoa Biscuit 40g

KRAFT
OREO WAFER STICKS 18S
KRAFT
OREO WAFER STICKS 5S
KRAFT
OREO W/STICK WH CHOC 18S
KRAFT
OREO W/STICK WH CHOC 5S
Lotte Koala Cocoa Funpack 210g

Lotte Koala Cocoa Funpack 210g

M & M Chocolate Peanut 200g

M & M Chocolate Peanut 200g

M&M
CHOC CANDIES PLAIN%
M&M
CHOC CANDIES PEANUT%
M&M
CHOC CANDIES-PLAIN
M&M
CHOC CANDIES-PEANUTS
M&M
FUNSIZE MILK
M&M
FUNSIZE PEANUT
M&M Chocolate Candies Plain 200g

M&M Chocolate Candies Plain 200g

MEIJI
UJIKINTOKI 2978
MEIJI
UMAKABO CHOCOLATE
MEIJI
FAMILY PACK-GREEN TEA
MEIJI
CHESTNUT & REDBEAN
MENTOS
BOTTLE YOGHURT PROMO PK
MENTOS
BOTTLE YOGHURT
Monmilk BREAKFAST MILK MALT

Monmilk BREAKFAST MILK WALNUT 6S

Monmilk BREAKFAST MILKMALT 6S

Monmilk CHOCOLATE MILK 6S

Monmilk COFFEE MILK 6S

Monmilk HI CAL LOW FAT

Monmilk HI CAL LOW FAT MILK

Monmilk HI CAL LOW FAT MILK 6S

Monmilk HI CAL MILK

Monmilk HI CAL MILK 6S

Monmilk MILK DELUXE 12S

Monmilk PURE MILK

Monmilk PURE MILK

Monmilk PURE MILK 6S

MonmilkBREAKFAST MILK WALNUT

NABISCO
IN A BISKIT CHICKEN
NESTLE
NES D/STICK MINI VANILLA
NESTLE
NES DISTICK MINI CHOCO
NESTLE
MILK & BERRY STARS CRL
NO FRILLS
WAFER BLUEBERRY
NO FRILLS
WAFER CHOCOLATE
NO FRILLS
WAFER PEANUT
Orion Fresh Pie 138g

Orion Fresh Pie 138g

For christ sake, what is one supposed to do?

I finally got around to looking at this thread. I guess I put it off, because my wife – as a Taiwanese mother – had been warning me about the dangers to our daughter and it seemed like nagging or overreacting (although i recognize it’s an extremely serious problem especially in China for those feeding formula to babies).

But now that I’ve finally looked at this thread, and the list and . . . holy cow, I’m sure I’ve consumed many melanine-tainted products.

My wife has warned us to buy nothing from China, and my daughter is very good about remember and repeating that advice. But it hardly seems workable, because isn’t virtually everything made in China?

So what can/should one realistically do about the problem?

1. Do not consume anything containing milk powder unless necessary. Drink fresh milk rather than reconstituted stuff.
  2. Avoid processed goods. Fresh real cheese on slices of French bread is safe; processed cheese sandwich crackers are not. Eat fresh produce, not processed crap.
  3. Make your own.
  4. Avoid anything from China (forever).

For breakfast I had waffles I made, containing no milk powder.

For lunch I had a burger I made, with fresh produce, buns I made, and real cheese. No milk powder.

For my afternoon drink I had Oolong tea, no milk powder.

For dinner I will have ravioli I made, with pasta dough, filling and sauce all made from scratch.

I know not everyone has the time to make stuff, but with a bit of care you can minimize your risks.

[quote=“Mother Theresa”]
For christ sake, what is one supposed to do?

I finally got around to looking at this thread. I guess I put it off, because my wife – as a Taiwanese mother – had been warning me about the dangers to our daughter and it seemed like nagging or overreacting (although i recognize it’s an extremely serious problem especially in China for those feeding formula to babies).

But now that I’ve finally looked at this thread, and the list and . . . holy cow, I’m sure I’ve consumed many melanine-tainted products.

My wife has warned us to buy nothing from China, and my daughter is very good about remember and repeating that advice. But it hardly seems workable, because isn’t virtually everything made in China?

So what can/should one realistically do about the problem?[/quote]

…which was what my brother was telling me this morning. Back in Central America, we do not grow our own crops anymore, so rice, beans, etc. comes from…China -we export our luxury stuff, like melons and pineapples, to the US and EU. So, what are they supoosed to do? They cannot buy anywhere else -too expensive- nor have the means to restart production -most land has been sold for “developments”.

At least here we have a reasonable responsible press that keeps us alert, and a slow but steady Government to take measures. Imagine what it would be without that.

Ditto. We should get together sometime and compare notes. I’ll whip up some Mr Brown coffee for us to enjoy. Er… :laughing:

GOOD

RISKY

(Not the specific brands, but processed crap.)

It’s fairly easy to see the difference. :wink:

[quote=“Dragonbones”]GOOD

RISKY

(Not the specific brands, but processed crap.)

It’s fairly easy to see the difference. :wink:[/quote]

…except for the agricultural pesticides in the produce. :wink: