Liu Yifei comes out......as a Hong Kong Police Supporter

Stop saying that I am insulting a whole people based on their country of origin. This is unacceptable behavior.

1 Like

The ministry of truth. Like the way no-one remembers the way Hong Kong was administered by un-elected authorities for its entire existence, until… 1984, perfect. Then suddenly its a country fighting for its freedom. And anyone who disagrees with that is some kind of brute whos opinion should not be expressed. (Sorry if thats a strawman that I made right there. But its kind of the ghist of what I am getting) Short memories all round then. No doubt the foreigners will be back in the news next week wearing masks and teaching the protesters nefarious street combat techniques

She’s actually an American citizen though she’d lived in the US for like 2 seconds so her English is shit.

1 Like

The angle of the CCP is that the west and especially the USA is the boogyman. And this indoctrination starts at young age with teaching the children about the “century of humiliation”. In which they blame the West for everything that is wrong today.

1 Like

Also to think that not any mainland chinese support those protesters in Hong Kong it shows of some ignorance. There are still people who survived Tiananmen, and they hold a very different opinion then the central government. Just their voice will not be heard through the firewall.

1 Like

If they even dare to express it at all. I am friends with many people who saw through much of the Chinese propaganda, those these were people who were largely urban professionals. There are lots of others who don’t love the government because they’ve experienced the evils first hand. Again, though, they are often unable to express these opinions widely, if at all.

the protests under british rule were pro communist. they were fighting against freedom. or at least limited freedom. now they are fighting against their limited freedoms being taken away. its freedoms that mainland china none the less does not have. and that hong kongers have enjoyed and do not want to lose. its not that difficult to understand, and it would have actually been easy to squash this rather quickly. after the 50 years is up who knows what the plan is though.

HK was an entirely authoritarian state under the British. Yea the last governor brought in limited elections to put a few elected representatives in, after it had already been agreed that it was getting handed over to the largest authoritarian state that has ever existed. Expecting the PRC to democratise Britain’s authoritarian territory is stretching the imagination if you ask me.

Not that I disagree with the ideal, I just think it’s cloud cuckoo land in the context.

Freedom to express dissent has been a feature of HK authoritarianism though. Along with other civil liberties that are at risk currently

1 Like

Very true. And in reality, there was never really 2 separate system. The CCP still pulled the strings for everything.

So I honestly don’t know where HK can go from this point. They have nothing to stand on. No past democracy, no current independent government, no leadership, no army, no armed civilians, nothing.

1 Like

thats not what the protests were about though. it started from the extradition bill. they wanted to keep the laws as they are, as were agreed to be for 50 years. although it seems to be growing into something more and i can’t blame them for that.

1 Like

I think most people realized that 50 years is not a real option. They are desperate with no where to go. It’s sad. Idk what they can do.

1 Like

I heard people report you for saying things and doing things against the CCP in China. To what extent the consequences are for that, idk. I know people can report people for possibly being a spy and such.

China is the only country to go from low to medium to high human development since they started measuring that in the UN

http://www.hdr.undp.org/

reduced to less people living in poverty, oh the injustice! (someone should do something about that!) In ancient times it was so much better. (Brian O’Nolan made me say that :grin:)

Yeah I would never deny that , fantastic job also in literacy stats too.
BUT personally I don’t think they needed communism to do it…Look at Taiwan and Singapore and Korea.
The problem is the CCP maintains it’s iron grip and China and Chinese people individually are contributing little to the world stage right now, as far as I can see. They also killed off much of their wildlife and pollution is brutal.

2 Likes

OK this isn’t an argument after all then, carry on :kissing_heart:

Wait wait how do I switch out of argument mode?
And what’s that a kiss :joy:.

1 Like

Market forces work?!? Who’d have thunk it?

1 Like

Well they did work for HK no doubt about that

All those countries were brought out of the feudal era by authoritarian governments though; in the case of Taiwan and Korea both by the Japanese.

1 Like

Yeah I didn’t deny that either.
But they all democratised many decades ago. Japan itself in the 1950s. Singapore doesn’t really count as a tiny city state, just as an example of an alternative Chinese and multi racial reality I guess that is more open to the world.
Taiwan itself is the best example BY FAR that China doesn’t need Communism or dictatorships!
Taiwan itself actually had the world’s fastest rising economic and development index for decades (source : breakout nations). It still far out performs China in metrics such as health services and individual rights. China sucks real bad when you consider that stuff.

2 Likes