Living in Taiwan vs. China and elsewhere

Taiwan’s HSR is very good but Japan’s is a level above. Even though Japan is a much bigger country, the rail network is far more extensive. The location of most of the stations is very convenient (as opposed to Taiwan where many HSR stations are well outside of town and require additional transportation), and many Japanese HSR stations have hotels and full malls attached. The trains themselves tend to be a bit nicer and Taiwan’s business class isn’t as nice as the JR Green Cars. The JR Rail passes are amazing if you optimize your use.

I don’t think Taiwan can fix the issue of existing station locations but if it brings HSR to the east coast, it would be a huge improvement.

1 Like

That would be amazing.

That’s done on purpose to have the insiders buy land and ‘develop’ making loads of money.

2 Likes

I think they have experimented in places but in the Xi era it’s not really on the cards and is not really viable for China anyway. It’s a very complicated, poor and large country with a lot of deep societal problems.

More important is transparency and rule of law, but that doesn’t seem to be the direction being taken right now

Having the hsinchu station so far from the science park is so idiotic

But the surrounding land and housing prices are shooting up.

Same in Chiayi, that station was a bit of a pain to get to.

I am no fan of the Hsinchu HSR location (as forumosans will know, the station is way out in Liujia) but there’s a very good reason it was not placed near Science Park: the vibration from the speeding trains would apparently mess up the production of semiconductors.

Guy

You do realize HSRs are only cost-effective if population density is above a certain number?

There’s no way China’s network in the West is anything more than flushing money down the toilet.

The tracks passes right by the science park anyway. Had the station been built near the science park, the trains would have to slow down when getting close to it. Currently trains passes the science park at top speed.

Ah, makes sense

What ‘West’ are you talking about?

Not according to Hansioux!

I’m just repeating what was told to me when I lived in Hsinchu.

Guy

Western China. It goes all the way to East Turkestan, with little population in between.

I agree that in general Japan’s Shinkansen is a superior experience to Taiwan HSR. But, it’s actually pretty close.

I guess it depends how you look at it.

I just did some math and Taiwan has 14.7km of HSR per million population, whereas Japan has 21.9. So, not too far off and it’s safe to say both countries have excellent HSR coverage. I believe in Taiwan the figure is about 90% of the population living near HSR. It’s probably similar in Japan, maybe a little lower.

Some Japanese HSR stations are far outside town, too. Shin-Osaka, Shin-Hakodate. But your point is a fair one: many Japanese HSR stations are right in the city center. Except for the Taipei stations, Taiwan’s are not. Also, in Japan, there is extensive local and regional rail at every HSR station, so when you arrive, you can get almost anywhere while staying within the transit network. That’s obviously not the case in Taiwan, because of decades of underinvestment in regional transit and overinvestment in roads.

I live in Yilan so yes this would be amazing :slight_smile: If I’m not mistaken, the current government is looking at the feasibility of drilling a tunnel from Nangang more or less parallel to the Xueshan Tunnel. There is a big, empty parcel of land next to the Yilan TRA station just begging for an HSR complex. IMO, it wouldn’t be worth the cost to extend HSR all the way to Hualien. What makes more sense is to have a nice TRA/HSR transfer station in Yilan and expand capacity on the already very good TRA North Link Line from Yilan to Hualien and beyond. You would also need to double track the Hualien - Taidong section at some point if you wanted more capacity to Taidong.

4 Likes

You buy into that ? Really ?

Actually the Constitution allows other parties and initially in the 50s there were other parties but the communists destroyed them .

There’s no reason democracy couldn’t work in China whatsoever .

Please don’t extend the HSR to the East Coast. Please.

2 Likes

Yes definitely. Not for cultural reasons or anything like that, more that China went through the cultural revolution and years of communist rule. The size of the country and wealth disparity, mixed with all the ethical and social problems in China would make it very difficult and I’m not sure the best system.

Actual functioning rule of law and transparent systems is what China needs more than anything, democracy isn’t the be all and end all.

I have a Taiwanese friend who is very connected in Shanghai and was telling me about conversation with friends who work in government at a democracy think tank there, he said that their conclusions were that even democracy for Shanghai city isn’t viable because of all the disparity.

You got to remember that China has a generation with basically collective PTSD from the cultural revolution and these people are the ethical and values educators to the next generation. China is a deeply messed up place and you can’t just dump multi party democracy on that.

I despise the CCP for multiple reasons but they have done a good job with economic growth. I hope they fall soon , but I don’t think compared to rule of law, democracy is paramount for China

It seems mad that the science park is so inaccessible and that it’s not easier to get from the finance and political hub, to the tech hub.

The science park is just a fucking clusterfuck in general

It’s not dumped on that it bubbles up from that. I think there’s a fundamental misunderstanding of what democracy is. It allows different voices and interests to rub to each other. It would give some of the regions in China more leeway right now China is just governed from Beijing effectively from a small coterie of officials with a dictator at the top . Democracy allows different systems to be pursued and at least you wouldn’t have that ultra heavy hand crushing down on dissenters all the time . There are different kinds of democracies too. .The US federal and state system works very well overall because it gives that local leeway for them to legislate some of their own laws , as one example .

Saying Shanghai couldn’t handle democracy is crazy in my book. There’s absolutely no good reason why it could not have local elected parties and officials. That person doesn’t know the history of Shanghai at all they should learn the real histor y of that city , it was poised to be the world’s greatest interrnational city until the Japanese and WII and CCP came along ! Now it’s just a facsimile of what it was poised to be.

In Inner Mongolia now and in Xinjiang they are suffering severe repression and erosion of their ancient cultures. It’s horrifying . Kids just turned up to school in inner Mongolia this week and suddenly they were told instruction is now in Mandarin. Parents have been jailed for protesting :neutral_face:.
Democracy allows some light to be thrown on things that many would prefer not to. it ensures a degree of moderation usually because you know you will be out of office within four years. In a democracy they wouldn’t vote in a dictator for life 3000 for and 2 abstains. It must absolutely suck to be those representatives and knowing they voted for that.

1 Like