Living in Taiwan vs. China and elsewhere

It is getting fixed naturally by shifting new constructions to those areas. Some of the nicest areas in terms of city planning and bouji-ness in Taiwan are around THSR.

2 Likes

This is from a thinktank whose job was to assess if the aforementioned is possible.

The record for countries moving from communism to democracy is not very good. Look at Russia and most post-soviet countries. Its not as simple as you think, without the foundations you cant just turn democratic.

This is rule of law and clean systems and checks and balances. What people need is a fair society with a fair legal system and checks and balances in place and a society that provides opportunity and serrvices. Democracy for many countries is a nice to have.

Believe me, I spend most of time reading on China and lived there for years. I understand the problems, but its not as simple as you make out. Democracy isnt the be all and end all, rule of law is. Fair systems are, transparency is.

Singapore would be the best model in the short term. Singapore isn’t democratic, but its legal systems and political systems are completely transparent and fair. If China could get to that stage it would be amazing. Democracy isnt viable any time soon.

It was a product of dictatorship era planning established in 1980: top down design, kick out the farmers, no local consultation, no investment whatsoever in public transit.

Remember this when you hear some of these old farts yearning for what they claim were the “good old days” of CCK.

Guy

1 Like

Because of the semiconductor plants being very sensitive to vibration, I remember it was mentioned as a problem in Tainan also. Now one could say why not move the semiconductor plants a bit further away.
And nothing prevented them from ever building an mrt or tramline into the park.

1 Like

It’s well protected from typhoons. It’s a ~1600 acre science park that generates a yearly revenue about 40% higher than Iceland’s GDP…seems to be doing ok.

do you ever go there in a morning? Its a shit show

1 Like

It powers a lot of Taiwan’s GDP, it’s extadordinarily successful and it is still expanding into Zhudong . But it’s looking very dated and shows the poor ability of local city planners to adapt.

1 Like

Haha it’s not a nice to have when you are rotting in jail or people are invading your house . Even very poor and extremely diverse countries like Indonesia and India and Bangladesh can handle democracy relatively well !

If you’re talking about a clusterfuck as far as transportation goes I’ll mostly agree with that.

1 Like

It’s actually VERY good, central and eastern ehtioena countries have flourished, some have been extraordinarily successful such as Poland and Czech and Slovakia and Lithuania and Estonia… If only Ukraine and Belarus and others could get away from the poisonous Russian interference they could do likewise.

is this you

1 Like

Again, im well aware of the problems in China, but we are saying the same things. China needs rule of law and transparent systems, not ‘rule by law’ as it is now, where as u mentioned the State does what it wants.

Rule of law, transparency etc are more important than democracy. The former is a foundation for the latter

They are not post-communist and didnt go through the similar experiences that China did. This is nothing to do with Confucius or Chinese culture, the cultural revolution destroyed the whole moral and ethical base of the country.

Belarus
Romania
Bulgaria
Russia
Modolva
etc

A lot of these countries are just organized theft.

But anyway if you are arguing that democracy is good. Yes I think it is the best political system, but you need foundations that China is way way away from at the moment.

That’s a long time ago now. Chinese could easily handle democracy , democracy is messy but it works just fine usually . Some urbanites are afraid of the rural masses getting votes but why would that be a problem exactly , isn’t the idea to spread a bit of prosperity ? Also these rural masses have largely moved to local cities anyway.

2 Likes

then you dont understand modern China

Romania is doing much better now. It takes a bit of time. Russia is well…Russia.

yeah, awesome https://www.opendemocracy.net/en/can-europe-make-it/no-politics-no-society-unbearable-lightness-interpreting-romania/

Oh I don’t understand …
.ahh I get it only YOU understand modern China.

1 Like

If you think that the Cultural Revolution was a long time ago and not relevant then yeah.

Listen to Xi Jinpings recent speeches or anything that is coming from the party. Listen to the political resurrection of Mao. China never moved on from the CR, it shapes everything in China today and the reason they are struggling to escape their history. Recommend this book

That’s driven from XJP , it’s his bid to be the next Mao. I think the buy in for that is almost non existent…There’s a shit tonne of nationalists there I believe that is real though.

1 Like