London is currently hotter than Taipei

Perhaps he meant taking measurements where there were no instruments before

The Thames at Teddington lock was full of kids the last two days. I sat and drank beer, tutting at their high spirited antics.

2 Likes

Chortling heartily at the hulk hued rapscillions no doubt…

I think that was absolutely the point. anyone that goes outside and moves understands every few meters is a different temperature.

I have, often, measured 2m plus tain per day in taiwan without much effort. which breaks records according to official stats. weather stations here are often hit and miss. we have been called to clear them before. imagine a simple noxious vine covering a “station” and how much that data is the skewed.

the standard I have always heard is:every valley is different. and its beyond true. 2 of our farms are 5km apart, but due to geography and weather patterns 1 is dry as bones the other is wet. that’s why we grow there because have 2 very different climates within a 5 minute drive. taiwan is amazing is this respect.

5 Likes

Sir, such badinage conjures much delight.

1 Like

Yeah but more precise instruments don’t bias measurements upward.

Wait what, they’re green?

For those interested, here’s a few good examples of the challenges facing satellite based temperature measurements and the many ways scientists and engineers have to go back to retroactively modify instrument/temperature data. It’s a risky process but it’s part of an all-hands attempt to construct an accurate-yet-ever-evolving record.

The insight for me is that even data recorded this very moment from satellites, ground based, and sea based instruments might not be the “actual” record - a decade from now there might be further adjustments which account for unknown variables of the time which affected the measurements. Additionally, variables that change in the future could result in retroactive data adjustments to maintain consistency.

Whoever thought it would be as simple as just sticking a thermometer in the air must have a headache looking at all these efforts haha

https://www.remss.com/blog/faq-about-v40-tlt-update/

Ok one more example - ground based temperature sensors are usually placed in white vented housings to allow air to pass through while also reflecting sunlight to keep a high albedo ( so the housing itself is not heating up by the sunlight enough that it impact the temperature reading) But, as we all know, if you leave something painted white outside, over time it will probably change color, rust, paint peel off, etc. This would impact its albedo causing the Housing to warm up more during the daytime. Of course a hotter housing would heat the air around it and impact temperature readings. So you see, there’s many variables, and it takes a lot of work to keep readings consistent and accurate.

3 Likes

great post above.

now for a dumb observation.

if it’s actually that hot, no one is sitting on the beach and no one is walking down the street in a suit. if they are, it’s not that hot :slight_smile:

But they have a fan!

1 Like

real men carry ac units

1 Like

2 Likes

Great, now what are the climate change denialists gonna say 30 years from now with that as their comparative evidence?

…between their thighs.

1 Like

I’m there right now in a t-shirt and it’s freaking cold.

Presumably you’re not British.

Why? Cause I’m wearing a t-shirt?

Because you’re feeling the cold. Am I wrong?

No you’re right.

1 Like

UK is the first country in Europe where my US passport gets me through faster than an EU one.