Long grass - tips to avoid snakes?

So, I found a new potential fossil hunting site I wish to go too, but when I cycled to give it a quick glance today, the route to it is EXTREMELY overgrown. Like knee deep grass.

The other places I’ve gone are not exactly wildernessy–river beds and the like. This is the first potential place I’ve found that will take some getting to. Is there any tips to avoid snakes—like would loud noises make them scuttle off out of my path.

Or will I be running the gauntlet no matter what I do? If it’s too risky, of course, I won’t bother. But it seems like a good, untapped site. But I hate the thought of walking through the knee deep grass and finding something horrible.

It looks to be about 50 yards to get through to the site and, from what I could tell, there was no other route than by going through the long grass.

Any experienced hikers got any tips for avoiding the snakes or is it too risky? Would taking a hefty stick to flatter the grass as I went help?

Maybe I could take a friend with me to beat down the path.

3 Likes

As Taiwanese will tell you: the best way to avoid snakes is to not walk through long grass.

But you know that already. :upside_down_face:

Guy

3 Likes

Absolutely no idea, but maybe have a browse through one of the snakes threads? You’ll at least get ideas about who’s a good person to flag/@.

Then again, maybe their goal is to NOT avoid the snakes.

3 Likes

Drone scouting?

One thing about Taiwan for sure there be snakes

2 Likes

Yes, I sighed when I saw the long grass. Very annoying, it looked like a good site to go. But then, I guess the reason it looks untouched and unknown is because of how difficult it is to get too because of the overgrownness.

The frustrating thing about Taiwan is the wildlife–snakes and spiders and mosquitoes and those shitty hornets.

Wear tall, at least knee high, thick leather/rubber boots and baggie jeans or snake proof pants if you have them. Use a walking stick to disturb the grass in front of you and stamp your feet frequently. If you find a snake, go around it. Don’t play king of the road. If you are slow and careful, they will get out of the way long before you encounter them.

9 Likes

These are good tips, I’ve been mostly avoiding the grass but doing some of these. Also, crawling through some areas i have said mean things about the snakes mothers or sang songs loudly, to let them know I’m coming and I’m not afraid. It works with bears back home, i figure it can’t hurt

3 Likes

Exactly . If you are worried, walk slow. They sense vibrations. A good long stick waving near ground side to side. Stick to hot times if super worried. Dusk and after are more likely to encounter. During the day you will probably only really commonly see cobras from the dangerous species camp. And they are VERY preventable!

Everything is possible, but not really that likely an occurance (proven by hospital visits annually and antivenin manufacturing). Go slow, make vibrations. I would use your feet to bend the grass out on your way it. Or just cut it down. Makes visibility easier.

I am quite interested to read about your fossil adventuring in taiwan if you care to share.

2 Likes

Thanks,

I’ll give it a go getting there and turn back if it seems too much.

Taking a big stick and just beating the grass back to clear a path seems the best way to go. I’ll post if I go and if I find anything.

1 Like

You can sing I heard they hate opera

3 Likes

Hiking stick walking pole tapping on the ground as you walk making noise. Eventually becomes subconscious action.

Also lets the stray dogs know you’re coming which means you may keep both of you from being startled.

Knock down spider webs.

Fend off old men trying to hog the trail.

Practice sword play during rest stops.

4 Likes

I’m not familiar with the grass-avoiding species of snake, let alone the Long variety. Is it closely-related to the dragon?

1 Like

I’ve edited the OP’s title to try to avoid more grammar lessons and puns. :rofl:

Guy

1 Like

Me too, I would use his feet rather than mine.
You’ll never know!

3 Likes

Take a lawnmower rather than a friend. Snakes don’t like lawnmowers. As an added benefit you’ll be operating in shorter grass going forward.

3 Likes

You just need a tinkly bell. That’s what hikers put on their packs here. Snakes are sensitive to high pitch sounds and will skedaddle if they hear that type of sound.

Or get a whiny girlfriend.

4 Likes

That’s not extremely overgrown :rofl:

Try a walking stick.

Hmmmmm bollocks. They’re deaf. They sense your steps vibration. Moving branches and plants around can help I guess.

Snakes are not deaf eejit. They just don’t have external ears. They can hear the human voice up to 2000Hz.

However they hear best around the range of a cello.

So maybe carry a cello with you.

1 Like