Looking for a good hot dog place in Taipei

My wife and I are going to open a small restaurant the latter part of this year. I want to emphasize hamburgers and hot dogs on our menu. Does anyone know of a restaurant (big or small) that sells decent hot dogs in Taipei? I would like to take my wife there so she can get a better idea of what I am talking about.

Thank you for your help.

I like Costco. Hotdog and a coke 50NT.

2 Likes

I tend to get the Big Bite hotdogs at 7-11…don’t know much else about hotdogs in Taipei.

Is Gusto still open on Rui-an St across the road from the Diner? They had hot dogs that were OK, kind of.
There was also some guy selling what he called “rippers” (which are burst hot dogs, I believe), but I won’t give his address as he attempted a very nasty and totally unfounded muck-spearing campaign against another restaurant on these forums, so I’m not going to say anything else that might give him business.

I like the ones with cheese in them.

As far as restaurants, I haven’t found a good one. I heard someone say they have good ones at Dan Ryans, but I haven’t tried them.

Yeah, they’re still open.
I’m a pretty big fan of theirs actually.
They do an excellent chili cheese dog, and cheap too.
Go to Gusto Hotdog!

I agree with Dr McCoy about the Costco hot dogs. I also have the 7-11 ones a fair bit, but almost always feel disappointed afterwards. They’re a poor substitute for a real hot dog IMHO.

As a person who hails from a city with the world’s best hot dogs, (no that’s not a joke) Costco was the"best" place to have hot dogs in Taipei. That being said, if you know how to cook a hot dog, you don’t have to take your wife anywhere to have a decent one. Just the kitchen. :laughing:

The key factors in a good hot dog are the following:

The maker of the hot dog
. In Chicago, Vienna Franks are widely used. These are ALL BEEF hot dogs.
How you cook your dog. Some vendors steam them. Some boil. If they are grilled we call them “char-boiled” and generally Chicagoans only do that to good ole polish saugages.
The type of bun you use. Some use poppy-seeded buns. I prefer sweet buns. Or Sandman’s ( but that’s another thread)
We also steam those.
What are the condiments you put on it. In Chicago We NEVER NEVER, i repeat, NEVER put ketchup on our hot dogs. Yes some people do, but they aren’t from here, poor ignorant souls. :laughing: And there are some places in Chicago that will not serve ketchup to you on your dog, even if you ask. They’ll give you a packet.

Here’s an article about Chicago hot dogs

[quote]

Chicago hot dogs

By Charles Leroux

Tribune staff reporter

August 30, 2005

Not much in this world is perfect.

The Chicago hot dog is perfect.

Boiled or steamed, not grilled, it lies regally in a lightly steamed poppy-seed bun and is anointed with:

* Diced onion
* Tomato wedges
* Pickle relish the color of Kryptonite
* Yellow mustard
* A few sport peppers
* A dill pickle spear
* A shake of celery salt

There’s your classic Chicago style dog, a perfect teaming of tastes and colors and textures. Also there’s a bonus, the “snap” as your teeth sink through the casing – like Chicagoans themselves, a little resistant at first, and then so welcoming.

We don’t have to mention, no ketchup! None! Ever! Do we?

Some readers nominated the genre; others, specific local shrines – Fluky’s, Murphy’s, Byron’s, Gene & Jude’s, Superdawg, The Wieners Circle, etc. – though with about 1,800 local hot dog stands insuring that you’re never more that about a half mile from heaven, a pilgrimage isn’t necessary.

So far this year, there have been 231mentions of “hot dog” in the pages of the Chicago Tribune. We’ve reported that Vienna Beef Company Co. – dating back to two Austro-Hungarian immigrants selling franks at the 1893 World’s Fair – signed a deal with Target to sell Chicago-style dogs in 1,350 Target food courts nationally, a blessing for America.

We reported that executives from Vienna (the one on Damen, not the one on the Danube) joined with executives from the company that bakes S. Rosen’s buns to put right an age-old inequity. For generations, dogs have come eight to a package while buns were packaged in dozens or half-dozens.

The companies agreed on an eight-pack standard. Justice is served.

A handful of “hot dog” stories this year were obituaries. The loved ones of departed Chicagoans who once owned or even just worked at hot dog stands wanted that connection to a Chicago icon mentioned in print.

The late Margaret Robertson, born here in 1927, retired with her policeman husband, Bob, and opened Margo’s Chicago Style Hot Dog Stand first in Colorado Springs and, later, in Temple, Texas, missionaries of a sort, spreading the truth. [/quote]

:bravo:

Here are some famous places for Hot Dogs in Chicago:

Flukys
Portillos My favorite and a place where you will wait. The lines are ALWAYS long.
Gold Coast Dogs Gets it’s name from the area where it is in Chicago
Superdawg

Best of Luck

Better even than Nathan’s Famous of Coney Island?

Better even than Nathan’s Famous of Coney Island?[/quote]

Yes, even better than that. Ha! Who could ever take a place that sells hot dog from the street and puts ketchup on them seriously. :loco: :laughing: :laughing:

Nama, do you ever put sourkraut (how the heck do you spell that word) on them? There was a great place in NY I went to sometimes that used to put it on their dogs (with sauteed peppers and onions and all of the other stuff) and it was amazing!!!

Lord have mercy, the things people do to hot dogs. :laughing: Nope no Sauerkraut. That goes on polish sausages. I only we eat my hot dogs with mustard and grilled onions. :smiley:

costco switched to pork dogs some time ago for both the packages and single servings. absolutely disgusting.

you can get lousy pork dogs almost everywhere here, and costco was one of the few places that sold beef dogs. yes, i know, the local market … but bleach!

I love all kinds of hotdogs… chicago dogs… red hots… coney islands… even the crazy ones with the ketchup!

Good hot dogs must be firm and have a snappy skin when you bite into them so you dont feel like your just biting into a mushy tube of meat like the 7-11 hotdogs.

Best hotdogs are the Tijuana Dogs or Dodger Dogs you get in LA… but I might be biased cause I’m from So Cal. :stuck_out_tongue: Nothing beats a night of drinking like a hotdog wrapped in bacon with grilled onions and peppers with some mayo mustard and ketchup. Yes I said it KETCHUP!

[quote=“xtrain”]costco switched to pork dogs some time ago for both the packages and single servings. absolutely disgusting.

you can get lousy pork dogs almost everywhere here, and costco was one of the few places that sold beef dogs. yes, I know, the local market … but bleach![/quote]

Is this all costcos? Or just a certain one? Haven’t been to costo recently and I was really craving a polish sausage from there… with saurkraut and deli mustard.

Hot dogs are a lot like pizza, hamburgers, sandwiches, etc. Everyone appreciates different styles. But this boy likes the “traditional Chicago style” like Nama mentioned. For me the most important ingredients, besides the dog itself, are the sport peppers, dill pickle, and celery salt.

Now how about sausages?

elektronisk I have to admit I’m boring with the sausages. just mustard and grilled onions. Sigh…

Try Malibu West in Shuang Cheng St. of Linsen N Road for dogs and burgers.

dang they need to open up a portillo’s here. i’m craving a beef with hot peppers right now. and a bacon cheeseburger.

Nah…what Taipei really needs is a few branches of Snoogie’s DeliDogs (yummmmmy!)

Portillo’s sell their dogs (same recipe/combo) in Marks & Spencer in the UK under the St. Michael brand name, you can find them next to the scrummy chicken tikka masala sandwiches.

Other than that, Snoogie’s DeliDog ANY day!

BroonAvocado