Looking for a good hot dog place in Taipei

I love NYC dogs and Chicago dogs… but, by far the best dogs I have ever had were dogs sold by street vendors in Toronto.

Sandman,

So Gusto’s hotdogs are not that exciting? I always want to check it out, but the Diner ends up being a stronger attraction.

I miss the bacon wrapped vendor hotdogs in LA too… YUM! Wasn’t too crazy about Toronto vendors, maybe I got the wrong spot. Chicago chili dogs were good- though their gyros were even better!!!

[quote=“hungryintaipei”]Sandman,

So Gusto’s hotdogs are not that exciting? I always want to check it out, but the Diner ends up being a stronger attraction.

[/quote]
Nay, I never said that! They’re actually pretty nice, especially the ones with chilli sauce and cheese on them – well worth trying. I’m just not that much of a fan of hot dogs, that’s all. Also, I’ve never been to the states so I don’t really know what makes a good 'dog. I suspect, though, that I’d be disappointed, as I base how good a sausage is on German wurst, for which I would happily sell my dear old grandmother into sexual servitude.

Back in the tropics we had this place called “Dog World”, where only hot dogs were sold. They had the Bulldog -small and thick- and the Sausage dog, of course -like 15 cms-. They added the local sauces, like chimichurri or salsa -tomato, onions, cilantro, etc. chopped together with lemon juice and Worcestershire sauce. Mmmm…

The place Sandman was talking about is still open . Good Dogs.

Im planning to open a American hotdog restaurant, since there are no authentic american hotdogs here in Taiwan, importing the hotdogs from the US is the only way possible to re-create the same taste. If you want to join in this business, give me an email, low investment high profits!

hotdogtaiwan@gmail.com or call 0920641129

I like your moxie, but please bear in mind that hot dog restaurants have failed here in the past.

Anyone ever go to that hot dog place on TungHua Jie near Guangfu? It was decent, but it didn’t last.

The Taiwanese have their own version, and it is dirt cheap. That is your competition, and something like a hot dog, no matter how fancy, doesn’t exactly exhibit the kind of quality that the necessary mark up will warrant.

I will support your hot dog store, but the odds of success are low.

[quote=“hotdogtaiwan”]Im planning to open a American hotdog restaurant, since there are no authentic American hotdogs here in Taiwan, importing the hotdogs from the US is the only way possible to re-create the same taste. If you want to join in this business, give me an email, low investment high profits!

hotdogtaiwan@gmail.com or call 0920641129[/quote]

It would be nice to have other choices. I’ve always prefered the chicken hot dog. I’ve tried a couple of turkey ones, too. I’ve never seen a true chilli dog here.

Marketing would be essential, having an edge, something special. You are working with something they know as dirt cheap and a certain look and taste and feel. We know it is distant from the real thing, but someone had to teach these people how to drink good coffeee, so, there is hope they can also learn to appreciate other good stuff.

Best of luck in your venture.

I like the hotdogs at Mos-burger. Thats the only thing I get there really, and I think they are excellent.

Mos Burger doesn’t do it properly.

Sounds great, miss a great dog. There was this place I saw on Anthony Bourdain’s no reservations: Hot Dougs in chicago he had a frois gras hot doug for 8.50(US) that was really something…good luck though! any estimate on when it is going to be open

[quote=“Deuce Dropper”]I like your moxie, but please bear in mind that hot dog restaurants have failed here in the past.

Anyone ever go to that hot dog place on TungHua Jie near Guangfu? It was decent, but it didn’t last.

The Taiwanese have their own version, and it is dirt cheap. That is your competition, and something like a hot dog, no matter how fancy, doesn’t exactly exhibit the kind of quality that the necessary mark up will warrant.

I will support your hot dog store, but the odds of success are low.[/quote]

Yeah, what Deuce said.
I went there a couple of times. Good dogs, rolls were a little weird.
They all kinds of bizarre combos, almost all with this real crap mayo on them.
And most with corn.
Not cheap, for what you were getting, and, like so many other efforts, just kind of missing it by about 15 degrees.
If you do your research, you’ll see that, here, 7-11 (the number one seller of hot dogs in the US) and Family Mart actually sell more hot dogs stuck on a stick than in a bun.
What does this tell you?
For most locals, the frank is just an analogue for the sausages sold at the night market, that the accompanying bun isn’t that important to them.
Also, the hot dogs at the convenience store, including the bun, go for, what, like NT$30?
Even if your new place were able to move them at a competitive price, which I somehow doubt, you’d still (in the eyes of most of the local folk) just be competing with the 7-11.
And I think we all know how much future there is in that.
One thing that most people trying to start up foreign cuisine businesses here seem to never get is that local people just aren’t that interested in new and different things.
Plus, that value-add in quality and taste that you and I would appreciate, which might get me and Doc and Deuce to make the trip and pay the additional (I’m guessing) 200% for one of your Quality Dogs, is completely lost on most local consumers.
And I don’t care how often me and Doc and Deuce drop by, none of us is exactly Takeru Freaking Kobayashi, we ain’t going to be paying your rent.

I’d also say that the locals see dogs as snack, not a meal. You might do better with a street stall as opposed to a restaurant. Lower overhead. The thought of how many NT$40-50 dogs you’d have to sell to cover even a low rent and minimal salaries is a deterrent.

I hate coming back to the office with a hotdog or two and somebody looks and me incredulously and says, “Is that your dinner?”
I feel like saying, “What the fuck am I supposed to eat? Squid lips?”

[quote=“Dr. McCoy”]I hate coming back to the office with a hotdog or two and somebody looks and me incredulously and says, “Is that your dinner?”
I feel like saying, “What the fuck am I supposed to eat? Squid lips?”[/quote]

I usually say something like:
“Yeah, it’s too bad, they were all out of soup made from stuff THAT USED TO HAVE POOP INSIDE IT!!!”

i must say that here at SAM’S CLUB , for a dollar and fifty cents you get a hotdog on a bun and a large softdrink. Unbeatable food bargain. And the dog aint bad too. Theres relish and ketchup and mustard to your hearts content as well.

If you call a hot dog food that is, who knows what the hell is in them…I eat them myself sometimes though so can’t criticise.

They are nearly rectum free.

At home, maybe.
Here, all that nasty stuff goes for top dollar at the butcher’s, so I reckon hot dogs here are made of like top sirloin and rib eye…

At home, maybe.
Here, all that nasty stuff goes for top dollar at the butcher’s, so I reckon hot dogs here are made of like top sirloin and rib eye…[/quote]

Chief, now that’s food for thought. :astonished: