Looking to renounce my R.O.C citizenship.

Hi guys,

I’m looking to renounce my R.O.C citizenship and I read in this forum I’m eligible (European born, only went to TW for university, but have HHR). I couldn’t find information on the website of the MOI. Is there a way to kick off the renounciation from abroad (as I also don’t live in Taiwan). Any info would be much appreciated.

Might I ask why? It might not be entirely necessary and see if there is a good solution, though there are a variety of reasons and it is a big decision that is largely irreversible should you wanna come back.

I don’t have the answer, most of the members here are foreigners who would love to grab Taiwanese citizenship or Taiwanese who live here/abroad with strong ties with Taiwan.

If you know Chinese, it might be easier to check Chinese-language forums and communities.

2 Likes

I have my reasons for it, but I don’t want and don’t need it and I can’t wait to get rid of it. :slight_smile: And definitely no strong ties with Taiwan and I’m also 100% sure I won’t live there in the future.

Got some insight here already, so there are definitely some people here who know what I’m talking about. :slight_smile: no, this ain’t easy Chinese, so I would have to use Google translate for it.

1 Like

It seems you can apply at your local consulate. I’d call them

https://www.ris.gov.tw/documents/html/8/7/2/144_Q05.html

If you are male and have not finished military service, you CAN’T renounce.

Hey, I’m a bit confused, because in another post you wrote:
"Do you have an ID number on your passport?

If you do, you pretty much CAN’T renounce and you should get a letter from TECO stating that fact. If you haven’t served in the army you CANNOT renounce your citizenship (otherwise everyone would get citizenship from countries like Costa Rica and renounce their ROC citizenship).

The only way you can renounce your ROC citizenship without having been in the army is if you are born in a foreign country and have no HHR in Taiwan, OR if you are born outside of Taiwan, AND have a HHR, AND left Taiwan before you are 15 years old."

Lol. Not even if you stand out CKS memorial
Hall and pledge allegiance to P-RoC and swear never to pick up a weapon and fight if attacked?

https://www.taitung.gov.tw/News_Content.aspx?n=5279F68BA6EBB1E2&sms=FD945BF7F1C74EE8&s=25574E734775B509

This is the citizenship law, for renouncing.

1 Like

The conditions are here starting in Article 11.

https://law.moj.gov.tw/ENG/LawClass/LawAll.aspx?pcode=D0030001

1 Like

This should be enough isn’t it?

“ Those with legal capacity in accordance with the laws of the ROC who voluntarily acquire foreign nationality. However, if subject to the control of assistantship shall they must obtain the consent of their assistant.”

Just acquire another one.

sorry, it wasn’t clear, foreign born and also holding a foreign passport.

thanks for all your quick answers!

thanks so much, this is really helpful! :slight_smile:

For a person who applies to lose his/her nationality according to the preceding Paragraph, under any of the following conditions, the MOI shall not permit the loss of nationality:

1. A male from January 1 of the next year after he was 15 years old, who is not exempted from military service and has not fulfilled his military service. But nationals, who reside overseas and were born overseas, and have no household registration in the ROC or moved overseas before December 31 of the year they were 15 years old, shall be excluded.
1 Like

thanks, I’ll do that!

1 Like

But to be honest with you, I’m not sure there’s any benefit to losing Taiwan citizenship.

It’s still decent in terms of number of countries you can travel to without a visa, but you can also use the NHI system if your country don’t have a better healthcare system.

It’s up to you though… It’s not like there’s a downside to being ROC citizen like being American citizen.

1 Like

I’m not here to explain in detail as to why it bothers me to have an ROC passport, but it does. I don’t expect people to understand it either. :slight_smile:
I’m not enjoying the benefits either as I don’t live in Taiwan, also I’m not paying insurance in Taiwan.
(And when it comes to the perks you mentioned, my COB passport is top 3 when it comes to visa-free travelling and I’m living in a country with arguably a better healthcare system. :sunglasses:)

Or perhaps you are going to work in intelligence where dual citizenship is suspect…

4 Likes

Your choice is your own.

Your benefits often are open doors and further ability to travel.

I have two passports. One is a top three or four (depending) and one is a top nine. It’s not really a competition. They mostly overlap, but having two means I can take advantage of different requirements, lengths of stays when I enter different countries.

For example, Taiwanese can get into Cuba, Morocco, New Zealand more easily than let’s say a German. Belize, Dominica are examples that allow increased time for Taiwanese and two passports help with travelling to places with countries that have petty disputes like Israel and the Arab league. Travelling to Israel means that passport is banned from the other countries nearby, allowing someone to hide it. It’s quite practical to have two passports.

Using the German example as well, since Germany is quite restrictive on dual citizenship, then getting a new one or the old one back might prove to be very difficult.

I’m only saying this to help inform your decision.

Debatable and irrelevant to the conversation.

Absolutely. But that does not mean you need two nationalities.

1 Like

That is true, but having multiple nationalities is never an imposition on my daily life and rarely so for others. I’ve never lived in Italy but I hold one… just in case. And to give to my [future] kids, in case their careers take them through the doors I might not utilise.