Losing a Job Because of COVID-19?

Never thought about that. I’d rather be in Taiwan right now though, and will probably fight my ass off to stay here if this isn’t totally cleared up by mid-July. I’m American, and I looked into travel insurance. The cap for all medical travel insurance I found is US$150,000. There’s a very good chance any trip to the hospital exceeding 24 hours stay would surpass that at the moment since US hospitals are for-profits shitheads who charge US$2,000 per band-aid

2 Likes

Now that there is an order for teachers not to leave Taiwan until the semester ends, I might be faced with a very tough decision. If this COVID-19 situation goes on until
August, then I will have to make one of the two toughest choices. Either 1) Renew my contract without going to visit Canada, or 2) Go to Canada this July and not come back here to Taiwan anymore, hence they will not renew my contract if I chose to go to Canada this summer.
The Canadian border is closed, and yes I am still allowed into Canada as a citizen. However when it comes to my contract in Taiwan, I don’t know what will become
of that. Yes, my health is the most important but if I return to Canada and there is no job awaiting for me there, that would be a bad decision. So like the Jamaican saying goes: It’s better to stay in the frying pan than to jump in the fire and burn.

I’m sure you can find a hematologist here.

Whoever the hematologist is here in Taiwan, that hematologist doesn’t have my records.

Most, if not all, of local governments say if there are special reasons, travel to abroad may be allowed.

I came across this. Company rules during pandemic.
Has anyone’s employer imposed such rules?

1 Like

I can’t read that.

I’m doing a lot of translation of similar stuff for my company but I’m pushing back on that sort of stuff. They can’t force you to disclose contacts. My company tried to get everyone to disclose all roommates and the companies they work for but they can’t legally demand that sort of information.

3 Likes

Here is a Google Translate result

So this is what I’m referring to. Companies obviously have zero rights to constrain employee behaviour outside of work hours. If the government hasn’t mandated it through emergency epidemic powers then its illegal to require it.

3 Likes

That’s not quite 100% true.

Yes but it has to be pretty odious behavior. Failure to wear a mask in an unenclosed public space obviously wouldn’t count.

2 Likes

the MOE contract for Foreign teachers used to say that FETs could not purchase or consume alcohol if students or members of the school community could see them. This would mean if I walked into Seven and a student got a photo of me looking at the beer, I supposedly could have lost my job. Let’s not get into the bars with outdoor seating. Interesting, considering how many administrators have been drunk in the school before noon.

Yeah but looking at a beer is pretty odious behavior. I always avert my gaze.

2 Likes

I haven’t responded to this thread for a long time.
I never thought that the COVID-19 situation here in
Taiwan would get so much better that I can avoid
using the mask when teaching my students. Only 6
people in Taiwan have ongoing cases now.

Even though Taiwan is just 6 persons away from
turning the corner on COVID-19, some of you
netizens know that my school is not going to renew
my contract. I am not losing my job because of
COVID-19, so I am hoping to get another
contract here in Taiwan, or perhaps in Thailand
by August. If all else fails, I will go back to Canada.

Nobody here in Taiwan is losing a job because of
COVID-19.

I’m sure a couple of those Chinese tour bus operators did.

2 Likes

Sir, with all due respect to your particular situation, many people in Taiwan have been affected: the tourism industry, airlines, restaurants have all dealt with brutal changes.

Put otherwise: beware assertions of absence.

Peace to all,
Guy

1 Like

That typo made me laugh.

1 Like

Oh darn. I was moving too fast. I just fixed it, thanks.

Have mercy.

I shouldn’t have made that conclusion. What I meant to say is that job
losses in Taiwan are not happening in massive numbers compared
to the USA or Canada.