Lost Fighter Jet...?

Is it anything like this?

No. Thatā€™d be at Chungshan itself. Weā€™d never handle the source ourselves.

I was being very facetious about Singapore being in chinas pocket :slight_smile:

Who isnā€™t?

Once he hit the water it is game over. At those speeds it is like hitting a wall.

Here a summary of events from Focus Taiwan.

Pilot error ?The plane was flying very low.

Iā€™m just surprised that in almost all , or all accidents involving the Taiwan air force, that the pilots have not successfully ejected. Thatā€™s a lot of crashes.

2 Likes

Even hitting water at 80 miles per hour is like hitting concrete at that speed. And a person in freefall can easily reach that speed.

His jet was going even faster than free fall I would think.

He could simply have flown it into the ocean by error.

When they find the black box they can see his actions and planeā€™s trajectory.
This would clear things up.

But it is way more difficult to find this thing on the ocean floor.

News from a previous crash:

2 Likes

IIRC eyewitness accounts (other planes pilot, so would know) said it went into a dive after ā€œsimulating a missile launchā€. I dunno how they simulate a missile launch exactly, but missiles are recoiless, so I wouldnā€™t expect much dynamic effect.

Maybe some influence of the rocket blast on the wing surfaces but that would be kind of hard to simulate.

IF its a purely ā€œelectronicā€ simulation, that MIGHT, being very speculative, indicate some bug in the control system.

I think F16ā€™s are fly-by-wire

2 Likes

Yeh youā€™re right - cockpit glass will probably have ruptured due to the impact.

Especially as the plane was tumbling /spinning (according to the news article).

1 Like

I wonder if it has to do with what it means if you eject. If you eject, it means the plane is destroyed and you will be scrutinized for why you had to eject and probably end your career as a pilot one way or another. So pilots will try to recover/regain control of the plane until itā€™s too late. Just a guess though.

Pilots can get away with a LOT here in Taiwan because there are more generals than pilots. They also cost millions to train.

But pilots are trained to eject if the plane is stricken, problem is there could be a millisecond between ejecting vs. dying.

Furthermore if the plane is in a spin then the pilot is likely out due to the G forces.

When youā€™re flying this low at high speed thereā€™s not much time to eject.

China offered to train Singapore armed forces and was declined.
I know what country does though!

Those are probably the Gurkhas from Nepal who are also hired by Singapore and do a lot of the security around facilities in Singapore. Not Singaporean per se

1 Like

Yes,
does become complicated, the Gurkhas are trained via British armed forces.
(My father was a Gurkha training officer 2nd war and in the early 60ā€™s)
So Gurkhas do security around military facilities in Singapore, and Singapore military do security around U.K. facilities.
Also Israeli security and airforce is also involved with Singapore.
Singapore army training with Taiwanese army has to be a good thing and shows they are not in chinaā€™s pocket.

Gurkha do Brunei defence as well. When I was there, travelling mostly by water taxi on the rivers, Singapore forces helicopters were all over place as part of joint jungle warfare exercises with Brunei.

Very Apocalypse Now.

I asked why the Singapore forces were so keen on jungle warfare when FIBUA (Fighting In Built Up Areas - a British army acronym that the Gurkhas had heard) would seem more appropriate and it was pointed out that Singapore is basically indefensible (donā€™t control their own water supply, for instance), so they have to be ready to project force beyond their borders.

This might make them uncomfortable neighbours, as might some weirdly xenophobic and parenoid propaganda posters I saw on the underground, which I wish I had photographs of.

Singapore airport security patrol, a standard 4 man infantry ā€œbrickā€ certainly looked more jungle than urban, and a bit out of place, but perhaps they also did clearing patrols outside the perimeter where I daresay there would be a bit of scrub.

When I arrived in Brunei I missed the last bus and hammocked in some scrub near the airport without any difficulty. If Iā€™d tried that near Singapore airport I guess I might have got scooped up.

1 Like

Confirmed to be him by DNA test. Also they found the ejector seat.

2 Likes