Lost Fighter Jet...?

They found the black box.

2 Likes

Haven’t seen any news on the previous case recently.

Now another jet was lost near the coast of Taitung, pilot ejected.

1 Like
1 Like

Pilot looks very young. Sad.

23-year-old Hsu

1 Like

The aging trainers, built domestically by Aerospace Industrial Development Corporation (AIDC) in the 1980s, have been involved in 15 accidents, resulting in the death of 10 pilots. According to AIDC’s website, a total of 63 AT-3s were built.

15 out of 63, mmh, would you want to train on one of those?

:thinking:

1 Like

Training ejecting, maybe? But seriously, 25% seems to be a very bad track record. Sad about the young pilot.

Still a better safety record than the F-104 Starfighter aka “Erdnagel (Earth Nail)” or “Witwenmacher (Widow Maker)” in German service, where ~32% were lost in accidents, killing 116 pilots :woman_shrugging: Come to think of it, somewhere in my old Germany home I still have some burnt zipper fragments from a pilot’s flight suit that were picked up after one of the many crashes…

That’s dark.

2 Likes

It is. Pretty blackened.

2 Likes

I’m going to hell for laughing.

1 Like

See ya there!

1 Like

Well, the trainees are more likely not married yet, I would assume.

Yep, most of the 116 German dead pilots were single it seems. At least 30 of them had widows and other family, though, to whom Lockheed paid compensation.

Really? Was that part of the big bribery case?

I don’t know much more than what Wikipedia says, but from there it seems to be two separate legal affairs.

@marco sorry this is all quite off-topic. Maybe move it to a separate topic if you feel it takes away from this tragic Taiwan event?

I see that. I was wondering why they would be liable, as the plane had long service and its known failings were part of a trade-off for performance. It was only a $1.2 million settlement without admitting liability, so I guess they wanted to end the issue with the bribery scandal coming to light that year, or just to be done with it.

Yep, that could be. Additionally, as far as I understand, the huge attrition rate in Europe was also due to using the plane as a low-altitude fighter-bomber - a role it was not designed for at all (designed instead as high-altitude interceptor). And also pilot errors, lacking maintenance capabilities, issues with locally produced (spare-)parts, and many other factors that are probably not directly Lockheed’s fault.

1 Like

Must show them Top Gun every day to keep them motivated and willing.

The G variant (response to German request) was a partial redesign to be a multi-role fighter.

1 Like

That was much of the problem.

1 Like