Lost my NHI because I changed my work ARC to a marriage based ARC (!)

Here’s the story. I had lived in Taiwan for six years on a work ARC before swapping it for a marriage ARC in September. Then in October, I quit my job and moved back to the states. My wife quit hers a couple days ago and will join me. When I left Taiwan, I maintained NHI as my wife’s dependent through her work and she paid the premiums for me. I continue to have a valid ARC and both of us intend to maintain NHI for the time being. So I have had some form of ARC continuously for 6.5 years, held the marriage ARC for 5 months, and been away from Taiwan for 4 months.

Today, when she tried to move both our NHI plans to the district office, they refused to enroll me, saying I had not “lived in Taiwan for six months.” They saw that my current ARC was issued in September and stopped there. I think they’re wrong and forcing me to violate the NHI Act.

This is what the law says: https://law.moj.gov.tw/LawClass/LawSingle.aspx?pcode=L0060001&flno=9 and https://law.moj.gov.tw/LawClass/LawSingle.aspx?pcode=L0060002&flno=8

“在臺居留滿六個月” means having attained 6 months of residency in Taiwan. For me, this already happened in the year 2014. The six months refers to eligibility to enroll in the system. If it didn’t, and referred to an ongoing status, any foreigner flying out of Taiwan more than two times in any six month period would lose NHI. Once in the NHI system, there’s no getting out unless applying for withdrawal (and not coming back for at least six months) or losing the residency rights in the form of allowing the ARC to expire. Nowhere in the law is the logical absurdity that a foreigner who changes the purpose of his residency with NIA, or even simply renews his ARC while not employed, will automatically lose NHI coverage and need to wait another six months.

Did you contact to their central administration?

I also think you already enrolled (加保), and what you did is 轉出&轉入 (轉換投保單位,改變投保身分), if I understand online 全民健保承保檔 correctly.

1 Like

That’s whack.

If your ARC ID number didn’t change when going from work to marriage ARC, I don’t see why they can’t just look it up? Are their computers wooden?

[quote=“ranlee, post:3, topic:188615, full:true”]I don’t see why they can’t just look it up? Are their computers wooden?
[/quote]

The one between their ears often are.

You are in the right. Fight them.

1 Like

Why did you changed to marriage ARC? Couldn’t you have applied for APRC instead?

3 Likes

Shouldn’t you have applied for APRC instead?

3 Likes

If OP is a taiwanese, he couldn’t.

If OP is Taiwanese, he wouldn’t have an ARC too, no?

I don’t know. Technically, he could.

Even if he doesn’t have a hukou and has never got a passport with no national ID, he cannot get APRC if government somehow finds he is taiwanese.

1 Like

Can’t apply for an APRC because I have a Taiwanese parent and therefore dual nationality. Plus an APRC costs more to get for basically the same benefits of a marriage ARC.

So their computer systems could access my entry and exit records but not the fact that I continuously had multiple ARCs before this. A first time marriage ARC has 初領 printed on it even though it has the same ARC number and I had to exchange the previous ARC.

3 Likes

Alrighty then. If so, then why in the world didn’t you apply for Taiwan citizenship? I mean, you’re eligible for it, right? I mean, it couldn’t possibly be the military duty that stops you, right?

why should the OP apply for the citizenship, just because he has a Taiwanese parent and he was automatically given taiwanese nationality? Do you want to do a conscription for a citizenship that you are eligible for but would not have much benefit?

Of course I would! I’ve already done it. It is the honorable and right thing to do. I served over 20 years in the US military. The service here in Taiwan is laughable and avoidance is really wimping out.

The OP has got to have a better reason than this.

Two equally important reasons:

1. By the time I turned 32 and was old enough to avoid conscription (two years of residency as a NWOHR to qualify for household registration and two years deadline after qualifying to apply for it), I had figured that I would probably be moving out of Taiwan for career related reasons before i finished the two years of residency.
  2. Exercise of dual nationality as an adult would pretty much prevent me from getting a job requiring a US government security clearance. I have an active foreign service candidacy right now, so it’s still a real possibility I would need it.

Aside from being able to vote and avoiding those annoyances of getting locked out of dumb IT systems, I don’t see any significant benefit of getting citizenship apart from what I already have with a marriage based ARC.

3 Likes

Good reasons.

But if you get a jfrv through your wife i thought you HAD to have health insurance. How can they not let you be on it? Sounds like a case of the bitchy beaurocrat.

1 Like

Went to enroll in NHI, and they told me I basically had to have “6 months continuous in Taiwan after receiving APRC”. I had APRC for a couple of years without enrolling in NHI. Never got around to it and didn’t need it. Lived in Taiwan over 7 years before that.

Here’s me story > An Independent NHI Enrollment Experience

2 Likes

Yes but he still wants all the other benefits though…

Most of us would kill for citizenship as it would open up so many rights for us.

Personally I’d rather they abolish this health insurance leeching.

1 Like

Sounds like the simplest way to resolve this is to get private health for six months and then enroll in the NHI.

Update on this topic. We got it fixed. My wife called NHI the next day and got someone more competent on the phone. NHI sent a formal request to NIA to pull my immigration records, and with that NIH started billing me again. NHI had indicated that they would bill me only after verifying my eligibility.

So if you get an incompetent group of clerks like we did, don’t give up! The law is clear on this.

5 Likes