Love and cheating?

I think the Python group covered this one…

Say no more Cowboy! Say no more :wink:

Sound sentiments, Emile. Your views on this subject are far more rational and enlightened than those expressed by many others, especially the sanctity-sanctimony-piffle brigade.

LOL

Sound sentiments? The man thinks it would be selfish of him to ask his wife to stop banging other men. Is that how you feel? If your wife started to sleep with other men, would that be OK with you?

Also, why do you keep dodging the question? :slight_smile: You say that you believe it is morally acceptable to cheat on your wife. Is she aware of your beliefs? Does she approve? If you and your wife are both OK with the other sleeping around, that’s one thing. But if your wife believes that you’ve pledged your loyalty to her and only her, and you are going behind her back and sleeping with other women, then at the very least you are betraying her trust. Not only have you broken your sacred oath, but you’ve also risked impregnating the other woman and/or contracting a venereal disease.

[quote]I do think it’s kind of selfish to love only one person. I also it’s kind of selfish to limit your partner in his/her search for satsifaction.
It seems that many of us prefer keep the loved one limited/burdened to our own “exclusive definition” of relationship/love/bonding. It also seems that most of us care more of our own happiness than any thing else. Should a love relationship be “I love you so don’t hurt me” ? Should it be “I love you, you are mine and only mine”?
It sounds more like “I am so scared you might fall for another one”… “I am so scared you might love me less”… “I am so scared you might enjoy sex more with another person than me”… “I am so scared you might compare our relationship to the one you have with her/him”… “I am so scared to lose you”…
[/quote]

These fears don’t exist, or at least are minimalized, for two committed lovers. Part of the comfort and joy of marriage is that you know you have chosen your spouse as your lifetime lover, and your spouse has chosen you as his/her lifetime lover. It’s not a matter of fear, but of choice. Hopefully, the love and dedication between spouses will be so strong that sleeping with other people is not really either’s mind. And even if it is, that same love and dedication will override any fleeting temptation. I truly hope that you don’t let your wife sleep around on you because you think that otherwise you’re being selfish or clingy. It’s natural to want your spouse to be loyal to you, just as it’s natural for her to expect the same. I think most people would agree with this basic assertion.

I agree that the crucial question is whether or not both lovers are comfortable with the other sleeping around. If that is the case, then fine. But I wonder how this plays out in practice. It’s hard to envision how this really works. Do you take your wife out for dinner and a movie, then snuggle up and watch old movies, drink some wine, and then right before you’re about to make love, she gets up, gets dressed, and goes to one of her various boyfriend’s flats and bangs him for a few hours? Or…does she have to go to him? I mean, since you’re OK with it, I guess he could just come over and he could bang her in your own bed, right? Or here’s another scenario. You’re walking along the beach at sunset, holding hands, talking about what you plan to do together when you retire. Travel the world and all that. Suddenly her cell phone rings and paramour number #7 who wants some nookie.

If this kind of thing works for you, then more power to ya, but don’t pretend that anybody who would be uncomfortable with this is “selfish”. Relationships where one or both people are cheating don’t usually work out, and for a good reason. It’s natural for people to want their significant other to be loyal, and yes, exclusively so. If you really understood this, I think you’d find those nights watching old movies or walking along the beach would end more favorably for you. :wink:

Again, GBH, you’ve written nothing there that warrants a specific response or rebuttal because, quite frankly and with due respect, it’s all a load of old codswallop.

It is also totally irrelevant to anything that I or anyone whose views I applaud has actually written.

Although you have been quite impertinent in imputing all kinds of nonsensical implications to my remarks, it’s not worth my while to take you up on it line by line.

But I will offer this friendly and well meant advice: I suggest you give up on your “mission from God” to propagate your threadbare black-and-white middle-American “family values” on this forum. I doubt it will have much likelihood of winning you any converts, any more than your president’s extension of the same crusade is likely to win him friends and followers in the Middle East. You’re both far more likely to antagonize and turn people against your cause than otherwise.

If you’re happy to think and live like that, then all well and good to you. But do give up on the preaching to others who have thought things out differently, and far more satisfactorily, for themselves.

[quote]
In an excellent Weekly Standard article against gay marriage and polygamy, Stanley Kurtz of the Hudson Institute discusses several recent polygamous unions. In one case, “two wives agreed to allow their husbands to establish a public and steady sexual relationship.” Unfortunately, “one of the wives remains uncomfortable with this arrangement,” so “the story ends with at least the prospect of one marriage breaking up.” In another case, “two bisexual-leaning men meet a woman and create a threesome that produces two children, one by each man.” Same result: “the trio’s eventual breakup.”

Look up other articles on polygamy, even sympathetic ones, and you’ll see the pattern. A Columbia News Service report on last month’s national conference of polyamorists

[quote=“Omniloquacious”]Again, GBH, you’ve written nothing there that warrants a specific response or rebuttal because, quite frankly and with due respect, it’s all a load of old codswallop.

It is also totally irrelevant to anything that I or anyone whose views I applaud has actually written.

Although you have been quite impertinent in imputing all kinds of nonsensical implications to my remarks, it’s not worth my while to take you up on it line by line.

But I will offer this friendly and well meant advice: I suggest you give up on your “mission from God” to propagate your threadbare black-and-white middle-American “family values” on this forum. I doubt it will have much likelihood of winning you any converts, any more than your president’s extension of the same crusade is likely to win him friends and followers in the Middle East. You’re both far more likely to antagonize and turn people against your cause than otherwise.

If you’re happy to think and live like that, then all well and good to you. But do give up on the preaching to others who have thought things out differently, and far more satisfactorily, for themselves.[/quote]

Another eloquent but obvious dodge :slight_smile: