LTNS(TIS) Track Days (RACE postponed 11/8)

[color=darkred]Moderator’s note: This is the TIS track meets thread. Post information about upcoming/recent TIS track days here.
Temple’s kindly agreed to keep the date in the thread title updated.
Joe(sax), C&M forum moderator[/color]

Well Robby and I made it out to TIS on Thursday 3-13-08. We got there at about 10:30am and the place was completely vacant except for the workers. We paid $300 for one session, but ended up staying til 1:00pm without paying anymore. In the afternoon a few more guys came out. Boss Jimmy from GMC, who we met on Sunday, was there with a few other big bikes, RC51s, GSXR1000, R6, and a Ninja.

Robby did a little experimental helmet cam action. So here it is. Robby is taping on his NSR, I’m on the FZ in front.

youtube.com/watch?v=9IfIIGwaJ0k

-Kyle

wow that looks like it came out pretty nice. you’ll have to show me how you set that up. i’m suprised at the video quality.

Yeah, I was in a rush when we left and brought the wrong helmet, I’m an idiot. So it was a pain in the ass because the camera and my helmet didn’t fit well, so I was always moving it around. Plus it was hard paying attention to the camera while keeping up with Kyle. Anyway, I will do more video on Saturday if the weather permits.

It was awesome having the track to ourselves though. Well worth it.

got in touch with that other foreigner we saw one time who rides an fzr. he said hes coming out tommorow, but looks like orion’s moving up to a 400 so i dunno if his FZR will be out there. Hopefully the weather will hold up. I’ve been looking at some pretty bad forecasts… Hopefully we’ll get some more info on whats exactly involved in starting up our own team.

Great fun today. I apologize for thinking iix23 was anything less than a really nice guy…he’s a bit full of himself…but he’s French Canadian, and that’s part of their culture. I was wrong to judge him so quickly and I apologize. I wanna thank everyone for putting up with me and being hospitable. Lots of fun to be had at TIS (aka GAMFA) on a Saturday morning.

It was a great day, considering the weather report was saying thunderstorms. It was excellent meeting a couple of new people (Kyle, Jorge). Temple, sorry for the spill, but it happens. Glad nothing serious happened. It will make you a better rider for sure. Glad to finally see Marcello and Orion out on the track. Hey Marcello are we going to see you on an NSR soon?? Even mordeath showed his face, but I was a little disappointed that you weren’t wearing your mohawk helmet. :slight_smile: I think maybe my third session I might have shaved a second off my time, we need a stopwatch out there.

I guess next Sunday, they are holding a “rookies race.” You don’t need a racing license for it. It is basically going to be time trials with transponders. There will be no pole positions. I haven’t decided if I will do it, but I will be out there next Saturday for sure. I think Kyle will have a new rear suspension and a few other goodies to try out at the track.

[quote=“rk1951”] I think maybe my third session I might have shaved a second off my time, we need a stopwatch out there.
[/quote]

I got you on video for a full lap. You did it in 67 seconds…but I’m sure that wasn’t you best lap of the day as there was quite a bit of traffic slowing you down that lap.

Damn! What time did everyone get there? I was there at 9, waited for about an hour watching some guys “racing” in their black cars, then got bored, went for a ride, think I saw Mordeth at the entrance to the 118, and just never made it back.
The idea of racing is about as exciting as it gets, though I’d have to get a LOT better!! That’s a great excuse to go riding more often. Probably get a new bike, too, or a second job to pay for the upgrades.

[quote=“Mordeth”][quote=“rk1951”] I think maybe my third session I might have shaved a second off my time, we need a stopwatch out there.
[/quote]

I got you on video for a full lap. You did it in 67 seconds…but I’m sure that wasn’t you best lap of the day as there was quite a bit of traffic slowing you down that lap.[/quote]

I would like to see that video, my best time so far that was actually timed was a 63 or 64. I really need to get that down to 60, but that ain’t going to be easy.

[quote=“rk1951”][quote=“Mordeth”][quote=“rk1951”] I think maybe my third session I might have shaved a second off my time, we need a stopwatch out there.
[/quote]

I got you on video for a full lap. You did it in 67 seconds…but I’m sure that wasn’t you best lap of the day as there was quite a bit of traffic slowing you down that lap.[/quote]

I would like to see that video, my best time so far that was actually timed was a 63 or 64. I really need to get that down to 60, but that ain’t going to be easy.[/quote]Your going to need a better back tire for sure. You may have lost time because of that. Unless the track was very slippery (4 crashes in the same corner)

Actually on temple’s case he is going as fast as the bike can go, maybe he could shave 1 to 1.5 seconds but that is not much, the next step to improve is to modify more the bike… but hey guys you are doing just great, i cant wait to get my bike to the track again… i know i will suck really bad since the last time i went there was maybe 3 months or 2 months ago, plus with this weather i have not been able to go for nice mountain rides to improve the cornering skills… anyway, i dont care if i suck… i just want to have fun with my friends !!!

There’s always room for improvement. If he believes that his bike is only limitation…then he won’t try to improve on himself. And that’s not a good attitude for the track. There’s always room for improvement.

Actually we all know how shitty the surface is on TIS, so in Temple’s case I think it was the track that made for his error, not him or the bike. In the rough areas on the track there is little traction.
Hey temple I had Hawk and I read the rules for the racing class that you are in, you could lighten your stator if you want, it just has to be the stock stator. Also you and I both are running the stock 2SP carb, so if we changed to a 35 or 36mm like most of the racers are running we would gain a second or more just in the straights. Yeah more money to spend!!

I can’t wait to see ya out there omerojs, it doesn’t matter if you suck bad, who cares, its all about having a good time and learning the limits of yourself and your motorcycle.

M13 and RK1951 are both right, i think i am also a bit right, anyway as you guys said, there is the track issue and the room for self improvement and bike limits, but right now he is doing very nice !!! so just keep going temple…
and hey, btw, i didn’t mean that i suck bad… i said i might suck bad jejejeje but i hope i dont :wink:

well, what i learned from the incident was where the bike’s limit actually is at in regards to lean angle. Now, that I know, I can change my technique to try to push it further but not hit the bike’s limit. So I guess it was a worthwhile experience, if unfortunate one. Anyways I would agree that I am hitting the bike’s limit in some aspects, but there are always ways around it. However, at some point I would think one’s skill can only take you so far, and the bike needs to start pulling some of the weight. I still believe I can get my times under 62 how it is now though, but yea some more upgrades would also help alot.

62 is very fast. My fastest lap is 67…I’m ashamed to admit.

I’m looking at a 250cc two-stroke for using as a track only bike. What class would that put me in?

Hey, you should check out the “building a team” post. You’re welcome to join if you aren’t already in a team. We need more people who will be out there doing the races.

[quote=“Temple”][quote=“gurugumby”]
If you guys are interested in setting up a team, or want more info on the classes we can chat on Sunday and hash out the details.
[/quote]

Hey, you should check out the “building a team” post. You’re welcome to join if you aren’t already in a team. We need more people who will be out there doing the races.[/quote]

yes we want to see more foreigner ppl racing… lol jejeje

Is anyone running this rookie race? I haven’t decided yet. I was told that if I sign up Saturday it will be about $1,500. I know there isn’t any kind of pole or qualifying. I think is just for recording your times with a transponder, which would be nice too. But for $1,500 for a transponder is a little expensive. So who else is doing it, someone convince me. :slight_smile: